Sheffield Shield back on the menu

Ljp86

Staff member
Sheffield Shield back on the menu

Australia's four-day domestic competition will revert back to being known as the "Sheffield Shield" after new sponsors Weet-Bix decided to go back to the competition's traditional name for the upcoming season. Weet-Bix become the new sponsors of the Sheffield Shield, signing on as the major sponsor for the next five years. Cricket Australia are also hoping the name change will bring back some of the supporters of the four-day comp who seemed discontent with the change of name almost ten years ago.

The Sheffield Shield first began in 1892/93 but had a name change in 1999/2000 to "Pura Milk Cup" and then to "Pura Cup" for the following season.

Victoria won the first ever Sheffield Shield back in 1892/93 and along with Western Australia are the only two teams to win the Shield in their debut season (WA debuted in 1947/48).

Four-day competition reverts back to Sheffield Shield

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great news. Pura Cup sucked badly, although CA (the ACB back then) had little choice as the Shield was losing millions of dollars per season and desperately needed some funds injected back into the competition.

Personally I'm glad it's gone back to its original name, it was always known as "the Shield" and the name change only reinforced that great tradition. It will be interesting to see how much money Weet-Bix (who are owned by the Sanitarium Health Food Company) put back into the competition. From the very first moment, they have done the right thing though, hopefully they can stay on board for many more years after the current contract expires.

Re: Sheffield Shield back on the menu

Hopefully wil bring more supporters back to the domestic competition

I hoping it brings back local grounds...i.e Junction oval instead of the MCG.

Eggman;228525 said:
I hoping it brings back local grounds...i.e Junction oval instead of the MCG.
What a joke, cricket should be banned from that dump

Back