Shiny Side, Rough Side, Rough Side, Shiny Side...

CancelledUser2014

Account Cancelled by User
If your bowling in a 50 over game and one side of the ball has been scuffed up nicely, but the other side's shine maintained, which side goes where and for which deliveries? Lets say your bowling a 45 degree leg break, should you hold the shiny side of the ball on the inside of the of you palm or the outside?

Most internet sources say that the rough side should be on the inside of your palm for more drift, but if you bowl a 45 degree leg break and the rough side was on the inside of you palm, the seam will face the slips but with the rough side on the left side. How does that cause more drift?:confused:

Is it because the shiny side is heavier and because it's on the right side it could force the ball in that direction?

Personally I always bowl with the rough side on the inside of my hand ( grips easier ) and I have noticed a bit more drift this way . And yes I think it has to do with the fact that the shiny said is heavier .

Personally I always bowl with the rough side on the inside of my hand ( grips easier ) and I have noticed a bit more drift this way . And yes I think it has to do with the fact that the shiny said is heavier .

You must remember that your grip is unorthodox. For most people holding the rough side on the inside doesn't neccesarily provide better grip. I've noticed a bit more drift in scrambled seam deliveries! And definitely more drift in my 45 degree OBS with the rough on the inside of my palm (because the seam is pointing to the slips with the rough on that side which causes some swing) I know the chance to get swing with a leg break is slim, but if you are a bowler that struggles with drift, won't it be useful to switch the two sides? That way your leg break will swing away sometimes, and sometimes stay straight through the air!

Well technicaly the rough side should be heavier??

Not really, the shiny side has more mass because the fielding team apply sweat and saliva to it, and shine it regularly (the shine also adds some weight) but the rough side keeps getting scuffed up and loses part of it's weight.

The reason why the ball swings towards the rough side is because the laminar air flow becomes turbulent when it reaches the seam, and the air sticks for longer on the ball on one side, so there is an equal opposite force on the other side, causing swing. Look at the video series "The Science Behind Cricket Part 1-7" which explains swing and reverse swing.

Not really, the shiny side has more mass because the fielding team apply sweat and saliva to it, and shine it regularly (the shine also adds some weight) but the rough side keeps getting scuffed up and loses part of it's weight.

The reason why the ball swings towards the rough side is because the laminar air flow becomes turbulent when it reaches the seam, and the air sticks for longer on the ball on one side, so there is an equal opposite force on the other side, causing swing. Look at the video series "The Science Behind Cricket Part 1-7" which explains swing and reverse swing.

Ive seen it but putting spit on the shiny side is wrong thats what ive heard because the saliva gets it to be heavier and it doesnt swing as much, I saw Australia in a match not putting sweat or spit on the ball and trying to keep it as dry as possible while shining it ? And the turbulent air flow on the rough side gets it to be heavier the shiny side being heavy to gets the effectv to be neutral

Back