Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• You suck

• Total voters

MasterBlaster

Should Dravid retire?

Dravid has been a great servent over the years for India. He has captained the side, kept wickets and opened the batting. He has been a bigger contributer in overseas wins than even Sachin Tendulkar but its been a long time now since he played a match winning knock. He has been on a steady decline for the last year two years.
This is his record since the start of 2007.
MatRunsAvg100's16100038.462

His career average has gone down from 57.58 to 54.88. One of his two hundreds was against Bangladesh and the other was a struggle despite being on one of the flattest tracks. It is clear that he has been on a decline. At this stage of his career how long can he play like this?

Re: Should Dravid retire?

Lol, an average of 38 with 2 hundreds and people want him out, man you Indian fans are harsh. Strauss failed to score a hundred in 28 innings and still got in the England team. Dravid's still a fabulous batsman and easily has the talent to still be playing, he's still performing so shouldn't retire.

But Strauss is younger so he can be given more chances while Dravid is 35 and wont play for too long. The other three batsmen in the middle order have averaged almost 50 during the same period so he is the weak link now.

Form is temporary, class is permanent and Dravid is class. I do see your point about age though, it might be worth dropping him to give Yuvraj a proper run in the side. If it was me, I'd leave him be for a while yet.

Even out of form Dravid is a better batsman than Yuvraj thats why he is still playing. Dravid is still good enough that no one can replace him but I think India could have a rotation policy to give youngsters a chance to play with Dravid, Laxman, Ganguly and Sachin.

Dravid should not retire at this point because thee is no one India can replace him with. If he is dropped or retires then I assume Yuvraj would replace him but Yuvraj hasn't shown enough to deserve a spot in the Test team. He had a great opportunity in Australia but he failed to impress.

He has been in bad form recently, but I don't think it's necessary for him to retire, at this point. There are other candidates to assume his position, like Badrinath, but Dravid should be rested once in a while, so that players like Badrinath can gain some experience.

There are quite a few batsmen who deserve a chance. Badrinath comes to mind. When will they get a chance? When all the seniors retire? What if they have a bad start to their career? Surely that will be the end for them. The selectors will panic and drop them. We need to gradually introduce these players. If Dravid retires now while Tendulkar and Ganguly are still around it will be better than retiring at the same time that those two retire.

Back