Should I go back to cricket?

master

Should I go back to cricket?

Ive always loved cricket. I'm a cricket enthusiast. Ive been playing for a long time since I was little. But that was mainly backyard cricket, I started playing for clubs when I was 11; I improved a lot in my batting but i saw myself as a bowler. Since a young age I was bowling spin with a tennis ball but chose to bowl pace for the club. I played cricket at high school but then gave it up because I was better at athletics. So I did athletics for a year and improved immensely as a 400m runner. But I don't find athletics as fun as cricket and I am wondering whether to change. When I gave up cricket I started bowling leg spin again in my free time, I got quite good because I learnt how to bowl variations like googly flipper and zooter. I am 15 and wondering whether I should stick with athletics or go back to cricket. I'm not sure whether I will ever be good enough for the first 11, how do I improve my leg spin and maybe be able to play for first 11 in a couple more years? And is it worthwhile going back to cricket?

Re: Should I go back to cricket?

I'd suggest you do the one which you enjoy most, you will struggle to be any good at something you dont enjoy

There's a leg spin thread with loads of tips and I'm sure someblokecalleddave will help you out!

Welcome master; good to see you here.

As the madbunny says, enjoy yourself. You may be better at athletics but how do you feel when you are at a meet? Do you get a buzz? Do you feel... 'Yes, this is it!'? Life is too short to be doing something that does not grab you.

I know many 15 year olds who have managed to combine the two. Is this not possible for you?

i'm with Liz, at your age you could do both!

oh and
welcome.gif

i think the simple answer to this topic is yes. Cricket IS the best sport in the world so everyone should play..in my opinion.

I'll have to agree with most of the above that if possible try to do both.

At the age you are it should be easy to find time to practice both, although never easy it's just a matter of planning.

i spose it was a forgone conclusion asking about cricket on "simplycricket" !

theres conflict with times and practices. The practices are on the same day and so are games. meets and matches are on the same day same time-saturday. But it might not be worth it if i could never get into first 11.

Leg Spin, Leg Spin, Leg Spin! You will come back to it at some point even if you reject the idea now. Do both and do surfing as well! - I just looked to see where Mumbai is - in fact Surf Now - cricket later and give up on running! It's so obvious! :laugh:

There are always conflicts and you will come up against them all your life but, with a little effort, they can be overcome.

I guess from what you say, you perform at a high standard; you train hard and long. You may just be getting a little bored with the monotony. If this is the case, you need to get this in to perspective. You need to take some YOU time. I doubt you will get this from chilling out in your bedroom reading or playing on games consoles.

Find a cricket club that trains at a different time to your athletics. At this point, I would not even be thinking about playing; just training... feel your way. You may decide that, after all, your not as keen as you thought. You will not have lost anything. However, you may find you're a born natural or you really do enjoy it more than you thought. Then you can see if you can get in to the first XI and may be pulling back on the athletics.

You cannot leave it as it is; your running will suffer because you will always be wondering.

master said:
theres conflict with times and practices. The practices are on the same day and so are games. meets and matches are on the same day same time-saturday. But it might not be worth it if i could never get into first 11.

I don't think you should be making the decision based on whether or not you'd make the first XI. You should generally play sport for the enjoyment it gives you. We would all love to be playing for our nation, but for most of us that isn't a reality, doesn't stop us from enjoying the game though

Yep, that's what I was gonna say, if you like playing cricket, then play it, no matter how bad you are, you'll improve dramatically.

Back