Should Punter leave the pull shot in the shed.

gbatman

Should Punter leave the pull shot in the shed.

Ponting has gone out so many times in South Africa and Australia and a bit in India if I remember right. And it's uaually to really tall bowlers and balls that arent that short.

I think it's time to leave those ones at test level...

Re: Should Punter leave the pull shot in the shed.

i think he should keep on playing it scores him alot of runs and its one of his best shots

Dismissed;334702 said:
i think he should keep on playing it scores him alot of runs and its one of his best shots
Spot on, He's the best player of it in the world, Also 34 is a bit late to be changing habits IMO.

Hasn't scored a lot of runs latly, especially after going out. He's just going out a hell of a lot trying to pull the ball through mid wicket with either top edges and now a few caughts on the boundry.

Really if you are going out playing the one shot a lot, don't play the shot, especially in test cricket.

It used to be a strenght this shot but he's lost it.

i think punter, just needs to work on it, or something. maybe dont use it as much ,especially against the taller bowlers. But yes, he obviously needs to do something with it.

He hasn't been going that bad lately. He's been getting out to it a fair bit but he'll score a heap of runs by playing what is his favourite shot.
Just leave it be I say.:)

i think hes one of the best players of the pull shot in the world, i mean i'd pay just to watch him play one. but saying that, if thats your favourite and strongest shot, bowlers and teams work on that, they either tell bowlers to not bowl there or they work a strategy to use it against them. i think SA have got a strategy and they are using it.

i think punter is a strange batsmen in that he seems to always be in bad form. everyone keeps saying that hes in bad form, but he goes out every third innings and gets a 100 or a 50 or close to it every second time. he seems to be a batsmen that doesnt waste his time and gets out early or gos on to score big, and its remarkable how many 100s hes gotten considering how many times he has gotten out in the 80s or 90s. astonishing batsmen, one of the best australias ever had, if not the second best.

Keep playing it. Why would you want a guy that's been around for probably 15 years to suddenly take a shot out of his repertoire? He, like every other batsman in every other game for every other team in the world, has to get his eye in before he plays it.

If you're trying to play anything other than your natural game, you're in trouble.

They used to say, in the old days, that an Australian batsman needed a good pull shot to succeed in England.

Jack Fingleton said "to go to England without a pull shot is like touring without a pair of pyjamas". But he was talking about the 1930,s when the wickets were, it seems, mainly batsman friendly.

macca;351609 said:
They used to say, in the old days, that an Australian batsman needed a good pull shot to succeed in England.

Jack Fingleton said "to go to England without a pull shot is like touring without a pair of pyjamas". But he was talking about the 1930,s when the wickets were, it seems, mainly batsman friendly.

As opposed to the covered, lifeless pitches they turn out these days? Surely you mean bowler friendly?

And I mean, let's face it - it's easy to grab a pair of PJs wherever you go. Hell, even a t shirt and a pair of old boxers.

That is to say, there doesn't seen to be a whole lot of bounce (agree with the lifeless pitch thoughts), so a good cut/sweep seems more practical now. Maybe the curators will, like they're trying to do in Aus, put a little more life into the series. Maybe.

Then those Pommy cheats wouldn't have to rely on lollies.

macca;351609 said:

I was referring to the test pitches the Australians encountered in England in the 1930's, though Fingleton only toured in 1938. Except for the possible exception of Leeds in 1938 they were described as good or superb batting wickets, unless affected by rain.

They only got sticky three times in that decade really but were mainly great batting tracks, where Bradman and Hutton not to mention Mc Cabe and Hammond produced perhaps the greatest batsmanship of all time on those very surfaces.

I would also describe them as bowler friendly if the bowlers in question were O'Rielly or Grimmett. And of course when the rain got to those pitches, bowlers like Verity and Larwood became almost unplayable.

But getting back to Ponting, I cant see why he would drop the pull shot.

Ponting is a majestic puller of the ball. I'd be horrified if he was forced to ditch that shot. It is a lethal stroke which has proven very fruitful for him, and disheartening for the bowlers. They know if they drop it short it is gone.
It really doesn't bring his downfall that often. What does is the full ball at pace on off stump - especially when he is new to the crease - at which he lunges with hard hands. Often if it moves away (a la Steyn) it continues nicely to first slip, or if it angles in (a la Sharma) he is trapped in front.

ponting is the strangest batsman.

he never looks like he is in form, and looks like getting out cheaply every innings. yet, although it seems unnoticeable, he still scores a couple of centuries a series and amasses great averages. he gets out in the 80s and 90s a lot, and normally if a batsman does that their century count is pretty low in consideration, but pontings is the second highest ever.

he has his obvious weaknesses, but just remember he has one hell of an average and one hell of a record. he can play through them. hes just one batsman nobody should be critical of - theres nothing that will help him but himself. he is a great puller of the ball but sometimes he tries to pull when he shouldn't.

one thing i have noticed is that since hayden is gone the top order is missing an enforcer. there is nobody to smash balls around and make bowlers cry. i think he has tried to fill that role, i can't remember him before now playing pulls in front of square (like the haydos baseball down the ground) but in the last couple of series he starts his innings with it as his first 4, and plays enforcing shots down the ground that we never really saw in the ponting test arsenal. it has gotten him out as well, top edging pull shots that aren't there because hes trying to pull from above off stump towards mid wicket. perhaps he should leave that enforcing to someone else, matty hayden was a natural at it and the only guy i have seen hit a six with a pull shot from wide outside off stump.

Back