Sledging

shahidpak

Some people don't like the idea of sledging but it's part of the game, so what's your favourite sledge ? I've got two !

* The famous " Why 're you chirpin' now mate ? Not gettin' wickets ? " from Mitchell Johnson

*And Glenn McGrath vs Eddon Brandes :

McGrath : " Why are you so fat ? "

Brandes : " Because every time i fu*k your wife, she gives me a biscuit "

Of course iw ould never use any of them in a match, Do you know any fun sledges that could break the concentration of the batsman ? And what sledges are your favourites ?

Some people don't like the idea of sledging but it's part of the game, so what's your favourite sledge ? I've got two !

* The famous " Why 're you chirpin' now mate ? Not gettin' wickets ? " from Mitchell Johnson

*And Glenn McGrath vs Eddon Brandes :

McGrath : " Why are you so fat ? "

Brandes : " Because every time i fu*k your wife, she gives me a biscuit "

Of course iw ould never use any of them in a match, Do you know any fun sledges that could break the concentration of the batsman ? And what sledges are your favourites ?

We have a strict zero tolerance policy on sledging in our club, teams that sledge have lots of bad tempered games, teams that have lots of bad tempered games soon find all their players get fed up of spending their saturdays arguing and leave.

Just keep it friendly, keep it competitive, and the opposition's best players will all want to come play for you rather than vice versa.

If you want to put off the batsman, politely complement him on his fielding.

Like SLA I hate sledging but if you do want to go down this line then any comment around a players technique usually puts them off, for instance say loudly to your bowler "Get one to nip away on middle as he's closing the face" when the batsman isn't will put doubt in the batsman's mind regarding his own technique. Never get personal, never mention things outside the game and never threaten anyone.

Probably the best way to unsettle a batsman is to take away the vibe that they enjoy when batting. If they like to talk and like a high energy situation then keep all talk to a minimum (even amongst your own team) and minimize field changes, basically anything so they get bored of focusing on the game. If they like to keep things serene then engage in all kinds of interruptions to unsettle them and not allow them to focus on their game (ask them how they went last week, what the weather's going to do, late changes to fields, tell a good joke that he can overhear etc.).

We have a strict zero tolerance policy on sledging in our club, teams that sledge have lots of bad tempered games, teams that have lots of bad tempered games soon find all their players get fed up of spending their saturdays arguing and leave.

Just keep it friendly, keep it competitive, and the opposition's best players will all want to come play for you rather than vice versa.

If you want to put off the batsman, politely complement him on his fielding.

Like SLA I hate sledging but if you do want to go down this line then any comment around a players technique usually puts them off, for instance say loudly to your bowler "Get one to nip away on middle as he's closing the face" when the batsman isn't will put doubt in the batsman's mind regarding his own technique. Never get personal, never mention things outside the game and never threaten anyone.

Probably the best way to unsettle a batsman is to take away the vibe that they enjoy when batting. If they like to talk and like a high energy situation then keep all talk to a minimum (even amongst your own team) and minimize field changes, basically anything so they get bored of focusing on the game. If they like to keep things serene then engage in all kinds of interruptions to unsettle them and not allow them to focus on their game (ask them how they went last week, what the weather's going to do, late changes to fields, tell a good joke that he can overhear etc.).

I don't mean i LIKE Sledging it's if someone gets on you first like ... Mitchell Johnson in the ashes always a word after bowling, if i was the batsman i would have replied but i would remain concentrated on the game :)

I don't mean i LIKE Sledging it's if someone gets on you first like ... Mitchell Johnson in the ashes always a word after bowling, if i was the batsman i would have replied but i would remain concentrated on the game :)

Depends what they've said and the situation which gives context to the 'sledging', if they manage to say the right thing to upset your game then they've succeeded likewise if they ignore you enough so it upsets your game then they have achieved the desire goal.

I can't recall sledging ever putting me off whilst batting, I think its generally pretty ineffective on most batsmen older than 15.

I do have a good story though.

In a big title deciding game a few years back, we batted first and put on a good score, the opposition opening bat came out full of intent, hit a few nice boundaries.

Now we have a young teenager who occasionally fills in for us when we are really, really short, as we were on this occasion. He's very much a non-cricketer and can't even really field, and generally has poor coordination.

He's fielding at mid-off, and opener smacks the ball straight at him and it goes straight through his legs for four. The opener sneers "good to see you lads putting your bodies on the line for your club".

Well, we were a bit taken aback by a batsman sledging the fielders. I was at slip and me and the keeper started chatting to each other just loud enough for him to hear us, making out our fielder was disabled: "god, fancy sledging a disabled kid" "absolutely disgraceful isn't it" "I bet he sledges his kids in the back garden".

Well, the opener was clearly embarrassed about his behaviour and went bright red, and played all around a straight one next ball and lost his middle stump. We ended up winning by 100+ runs. Turns out he sledged himself out.

Sledging can definitely work but it takes time, basically you play on the insecurities or the arrogance of a batsman but again you don't have to be obnoxious about it.

Probably the weirdest sledging incident I've seen on a field is where a genuine oddball of a captain was batting against us and his attempted sledges were disturbing the other batter. Over time his sledges were hitting Twilight Zone levels of weirdness and the other batsman came up to our quickie and said "Please get me out the other guy is freaking me out!"

I'll sledge someone in most games I play although nothing serious. There are a couple of guys from other games who are just generally shit blokes so I have no problem telling them so.

Not long ago, a guy from a side we were playing against sledged him own teammate who would have been about 16-17 so only a young guy. He played around one and was bowled and his teammate told him as he was walking off that that was a shit shot.

Had no hesitation in telling him how much of a knob he was for having a crack at his own teammate.

I'm pretty quiet and hardly said anything playing cricket or footy.. Although basketball, when were teenagers as well as U18s we played in the adult comp and these assholes used to really push us around because we were the only ones capable of beating them but still kids. After awhile thought screw this it's time to stand up for ourselves, boy some of those games got heated. Out here you got heaps of dud refs so it was often almost like 'prison' rules lol.

I like to sledge someone on their technique, e.g. ' Get ready (whoever is at slip), he's opening the face, won't be long before the ball's coming to you', but anything personal is against the spirit of the game in my view.

A few days back I was reading a blog and found some preety great cricket sledges... I will just copy paste those lines

(1) Rodney Marsh (Australia) vs Ian Botham (England)[/COLOR=red]

This is one of the most popular and funny sledge ever in the Ashes Tests series. During the match, Marsh asked Botham - "So, how's your wife and my kids?". Botham replied - "The wife's is fine but the kid's are retarded".

(2) Merv Hughes (Australia) vs Robin Smith (England)[/COLOR=red]

During 1989 tests at Lords, Robin Smith missed the ball from hitting bowled by Aussie fast bowler Merv Hughes. Meanwhile Merv said to Smith - "You can't f***ing bat". On next delivery Robin hit a boundary and replied to Merv - " Hey Merv, we two make a fine pair, I can't f***ing bat and you can't f***ing bowl."

(3) Merv Hughes (Australia) vs Viv Richards (West Indies)[/COLOR=red]

During Australia tour to Caribbean, Hughes kept on staring Richards after each deliveries. Getting annoyed by this Richards said -" This is my island, my culture. Don't you be staring at me. In my culture we just bowl." Instantly Hughes bit his tongue as a reaction but when he sent Richards to pavilion he said - "In our culture we say f*** off"

(4) Javed Miandad (Pakistan) vs Merv Hughes (Australia)[/COLOR=red]

Javed Miandad called Hughes a fat bus conductor during a match. A few balls later, Hughes dismissed Miandad. “Tickets please,” said Huges, as he ran past the departing batsman.

(5) Glenn McGrath (Australia) vs Ramnaresh Shrawan (West Indies)[/COLOR=red]

During Australia tour of Caribbean, McGrath asked Shrawan after a delivery - "So, what does Brian Lara's di*k tastes like?". Shrawan replied - "I don't know, ask your wife". McGrath lost his control by hearing this and howled fiercely - "If you ever f***ing mention my wife again, I'll f***ing rip your f***ing throat out"

(6)Glenn McGrath (Australia) vs Eddo Brandes (Zimbabwe)[/COLOR=red]

After the Zimbabwe batsman played and missed, McGrath enquired: "Oi, Brandes, why are you so fat?" The reply from Brandes fired out the tall lanky man "Cos every time I sleep with your wife she gives me a biscuit."

(7) Douglas Jardine (England) vs Bill Woodfull (Australia)[/COLOR=red]

During a match between Aussies and England, Jardine reported to Aussie skipper Woodfull that one of their players called him a **************. Bill turned to his team mates pointed to Jardine and said "Which one of you ************** called this ************** a **************?".

(8) Mark Waugh (Australia) vs Adam Parore (New Zealand)[/COLOR=red]

Mark Waugh standing at second slip, Adam Parore played & missed the first ball. Mark – “Ohh, I remember you from a couple years ago in Australia. You were shit then, you’re f***ing useless now”. Parore- (Turning around) “Yeah, that’s me & when I was there you were going out with that old, ugly slut & now I hear you’ve married her. You dumb f***”.

(9) Ravi Shastri (India) vs Mike Whitney (Australia)[/COLOR=red]

Shastri hits the ball towards Whitney (who was 12th man in the game) hoping for a single. Whitney said - "If you leave the crease, I'll blow your f***ing head off". Shastri replied fiercly without taking his eye down - "If you could bat as you talk, you wouldn't be the f***ing 12th man".

(10) Viv Richards (WI) vs Merv Hughes (Aus)[/COLOR=red]

Viv Richards hit Merv Hughes for four consecutive boundaries in one over. Merv stops halfway down the pitch, farted loudly, and said to Viv: “Let’s see you hit that to the boundary!” Viv was dumb-founded.

(11) Sunil Gavaskar (Ind) vs Viv Richards (WI)[/COLOR=red]

To ease the batting pressure for himself on this particular match Gavaskar decided to bat at number four. But West Indian bowler Malcomm Marshall took the wicket of Anshuman Gaekwand and Dilip Vengsarkar for a duck. Thus Gavaskar walked when the score was 0/2. Viv said to Gavaskar - "Man, it doesn't matter when you come to bat, the score is still zero."

http://cricketmademecrazy.blogspot.com/2012/06/great-cricket-sledges.html?m=1

Is it only me or most of the sledges above are from Ausies :eek: .... one possible reason is we in subcontinent mostly sledge in Hindi :D ... But seriously why is it..??

Is it only me or most of the sledges above are from Ausies :eek: .... one possible reason is we in subcontinent mostly sledge in Hindi :D ... But seriously why is it..??
A gross generalization but Aussies are quite loud and do swear a lot hence the sledges tend to come across as being worse as what they really are, I've had a few from other countries which are just as bad:

English pro in NZ after I flailed at a short ball - "Don't try that again or you'll go to hospital" (advice or threat)
From an all Indian team (translated by one of our Indian players) - "Let's get this **** sucking son of a **** ugly prostitute out", and later on "He's a ****ing **** let's just beam him and get it over with"

At the end of the day it's all bad but if it doesn't bother you most teams soon shut up and get back to the cricket.

Back