Slow Left Arm - Need Help With Action [video]

Kiri

Hey guys, I've uploaded a slow mo of my action. Any tips on making it better would really be appreciated thanks.

Tough from one clip, but you might wish to investigate the option of landing your front front straighter (so your front and back leg are lined up towards the batsman).

Otherwise, my main question is this: what happens when you bowl? Do you get turn, bounce and wickets? If so, do you need to change anything? If not, what is the issue and what works well for you?

hi Kiri!

My thoughts are that of a developing legspinner, so please take as you see fit.

I think the body position you are making at release point is a bit messy. Your front foot goes quite far out to the left, points to the right, your body leans over very heavily to the right, but your bowling arm leans to the left. I think you might want to straighten it all out a bit. The classic position at release point is to have the front foot, front leg, bowling arm, and ball all in the same vertical line.

here is a picture of Derek Underwood, I don't think left arm spin came any better than this guy
1193413.jpg
he's not perfectly vertical in this picture but it's close and I think shows an excellent alignment of the leading leg and the bowling arm. I am sure this alignment is a good thing and there may be loss of power and potential injury problems if not.

Please compare the body shape you are making at 0:07 with this picture and how much stronger the body shape of Underwood's is.

Note that you are also collapsing the front leg. I would suggest bracing it (as Underwood is doing). This will give more power. So brace the leg and keep the heel down on the ground until you have bowled the ball. As a technical point, by coming up on the toes before release I think you may be bowling a no-ball.

Hi Kiri,

There is a lot you are doing right and little needs changing; you are quick off back foot and pivot nicely on your front foot, although you do need to watch position. You also have good engagement of the shoulder stabilisers. As micoach alluded, what are you after? How do you define 'better'?

You are a side on bowler but at bfc, your foot is not at 90 degrees... so it follows that your front foot would not be parallel to the wicket. Correct your bfc and your ffc will follow.

You have weak gluteus medius muscles and are hypermobile so I would not be tempted to bowl with a braced front leg [unless you are after knee reconstruction surgery]. However, you do need to control the lateral flexion but without knowing whether you suffer from any shoulder impingement, more on this is not possible.

One video from one view can never provide a comprehensive analysis and no conclusion can be gained without also seeing a full run up.

Back