someblokecalleddave's Blog

Re: someblokecalleddave's Blog

Nets today (For the version with images check out my real blog www.mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com )

It's 5pm and I'm two thirds of the way through a sport packed day. Midday after some frantic phoning around I eventually arrived at our nets (See picture). Paid the man and was left to drag the nets out and roll out the mats as no-one was there on time. Thomas turned up at about 12.10, so there was at least two of us and I knew there was handful of others on their way coming in from London and Southend. By 12.20 they were all there. Realising that they were going to be late I thought I may as well bat first and got padded up. Since our nets at the same venue 2 years ago now I've acquired hip pads and recently forearm pads and I'm probably slightly better at batting than I was back then so I was quite confident about going in there and facing Simon and Thomas who are both quite fast bowlers.
Eventually once everyone was there it ended up that there was 5 of us - Thomas, Simon, Alex, Nick Naughty and me. The word is that this is probably Nicks first and last time with us and he only came to make up the numbers. So with the situation with Badger doing over-time on Sundays we're kind of looking at only 3 of us potentially turning up and there's more about that later.... But this week thankfully Thomas was there and made up the numbers. Nick and Alex practiced in one net and Thomas, Simon and me practiced in another. Our makeshift stumps didn't last that long either with simon disintegrating one into bits with one of his first six balls. So I've got to go back to the drawing board with that and come up with another idea for stumps. In the meantime I'll just repair the current ones. Plastic would be the answer - the type they make chemical drums out of. We have got wooden ones that are embedded in a wooden base but they're rubbish.
Anyway to the batting and the bowling. I suppose the area that I've improved the most is just confidence, having had a broken/bruised rib I'm as fearful as i used to be, plus my technique has slightly improved. So generally I did okay. Simon caused me the most problems with his bowling - he's Right arm over the stumps at the off stump on a good length and I tried to play front foot drives and numerous times I must have just missed the ball and it clipped off. Batting's not a strong point for me so hit a few back down the wicket with a front foot drive is a step forward and there were spells where I was surviving quite some time so it wasn't too bad.
Bowling. Here comes the fun bit. Of the old MPA 1st XI Simon was our best bat (Or was it Nakul) and he plays a fairly cautious game and is quite knowledgeable having played at County level with his school. He does well against the faster bowlers but concedes that my bowling really causes him problems and for once I was able to get some feedback on my bowling and apparently I do get dip! He was saying that because I flight the ball and vary the length he's always in two minds as to whether he should come down the wicket, but then he said 'If I'm indecisive, I get forced onto the back foot and then your bounce varies and I'm edging the ball to the keeper or out to Mid wicket or cover, so yeah you're a nightmare to face'. But he looked like he was enjoying the challenge of trying to come up with a strategy. He also said 'Surely if you can get it to turn on this mat, it's gotta be some much worse on a wicket'? The mat we were using was pretty crap and I wasn't getting that much turn on it - but a little. So that was pretty good.
Leg Break; Then later I was bowling at Thomas and he's left handed so my googlies are not that good against him - for some reason he could deal with them easily, so I reverted to trying the Leg Break and it came good even on the particularly unresponsive mats. I was surprised at how good they were faster and bouncier than most of my other balls and it seemed to be the key to bowling them was the straight hand and the spread fingers making sure the 3rd finger was very much a key part of the grip. It requires that when I place the ball in my hand I put the 3rd finger on the seam first and the rest follow pretty much all spread out quite wide. Doing this it worked exceptionally well, so it looks like I maybe getting the Leg Break?
Attendance/Numbers;
It's not looking that promising. I kind of got the feeling that Simon (Although he seemed to enjoy it) came begrudgingly? The next session is supposed to be on Valentine Day weekend and at this session they were all more of less saying 'Count me out'. So we're now looking at the weekend after or a months time? I'll have to negotiate with the caretaker Kevin and see if we can get in there the weekend that's around the 21st?
Football;
Then later I played football at the Laindon sports hall with a bunch of random blokes and Thomas and Warren. I half expected to come away with injuries but it was okay. I didn't do too bad considering I'm 48! I don't think I was huffing and puffing half as much as most of them! Our side won something like 25 - 8!

Good to read about ur practice.
Well done and keep it up..
Atleast u have a sizeable number of players considering the 'off season' factor.
We have nets for 6 days in a week from tuesday to sunday and still 2-3 players alongwith me turn out for practice and that is sad.

Virender

Unfortunately it's got worse - one of the blokes Thomas has bailed out, that kind of leaves us with our absolute minimum 4 if the committed players turn up - Badger, Simon, Alex and me. At the minute there's a few 'Floaters' which means someone will be there to stand in for Badger as he's working overtime at the minute. Our next nets is due Sunday 22nd which is unscheduled, so I'll have to let the school know that we've moved weekends. That then leaves me the best part of 3 weeks to try and drum up some interest and get at least 3 others apart from me to come along. It's do-able but takes and awful lot of cajolling and effort which p****s me off a bit. But it ends up being worth it for me as it means I get to bat and more importantly I get to bowl at Simon who's pretty good and sees my bowling as a challenge and he loves trying to figure it out and trying to get the advantage. So I'll keep organising it in the short term.

thats unfortunate dave but it really does seem to sum up most people who even play club cricket's attitude in this country they couldn't care about cricket if it isn't the season for it and probablly won't attend nets if the club puts it on in the season as they already play at the weekend

The nets I organise is for some blokes that I work with and used to work with who just want to have a really informal knock about so I can't really expect too much from them. In fact it was them that approached me back in Dec and said they were up for it (Simon, Badger, Alex) all the others that get invited are people that again will have a knock about in the summer but none of them are committed enough to join a team or simply know that it will really P*** off their WAG's and just cause loads of aggro. I think the 3 that are fairly committed above were quite happy to just stick to hiring a Badminton bay http://mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com/2008/11/indoor-practice.html but I felt that we could easily take it to the next level and hire a proper nets for a half decent price and I have. It's fine if just the 4 of us turn up as it costs us 10 quid each and that's acceptable, in fact 2 of them Simon and Alex come in from miles away so they actually show a lot of commitment Alex coming out from London which must cost him about a tenner in train fares. Badger is local to me but is restricted to some extent by his work hours. The gutting thing is there's so many other blokes that are just on the edge of being interested enough but they're all family blokes or blokes in their 30's with serious girlfriends and they have their agendas dictated by their women! I dunno - what do I do to get them to come along?

With regards club cricket - the two clubs I'm involved in seem to currently have very committed players and the net sessions are seemingly very busy and well attended. My sons team has literally hundreds people turn up in shifts it seems! My own team which is small seems to be by invite only as I was told not to broadcast the fact that the nets sessions were running!

Todays update to be found in full at Wrist Spin Bowling

Nets last night with Grays and Chadwell. A lot more people than last week, but the hall has the capacity for 5 nets and tonight they had three in use one with the bowling machine in use. The Wizard was there tonight bowling some pretty good Leg Breaks in between some wayward one, but his good ones were exceptionally good and man does he get the ball to turn and it's at a relatively high speed. Unfortunately one of the things I fail to do when watching other people is look for and take notice of whether they have other attributes to their bowling dip and deviation off the line of flight (I can't remember the term for that) being the things I should be looking at. Although I did notice that similarly to Wayne his faster balls like mine are flatter. I didn't really stick to my game plan and was throwing a variety of stuff primarily as I was bowling at different people that I was trying to get out. The stuff I was bowling was generally fairly good if not a bit slow which is a frequent criticism of my bowling. I don't think the slowness is that much of an issue because of the comparison with the little kids in our team and how frequent they take wickets. If anything the secret seems to simply not bowl at the same speed all the time and mix up the speeds, but an ability to bowl faster when desired is obviously an asset and it might be one that I am developing with my so called Leg Break.

Leg Break; Again I tried it out at a low level - not using it all the time, but when I did it was surprisingly accurate but has another characteristic that I and the bats noted and that is that it dips but then bounces up exceptionally well. (Noted by Simon and Neil (MPA) last week). The same thing happened this week, there was a new bloke who had a very good eye for the ball and was attacking all the spin bowlers with a good deal of success, but I think I undone him a couple of times with this ball and it's a good ball to use as a surprise ball and it's generally faster. On the odd ocassion this ball was coming good and spinning away to the slips, but to be honest I was looking at it from the perspective of attaining the bounce and was just pleased that this aspect alone was causing problems. I think if I was to concentrate more I could also get the deviation off the line as well, so perhaps I'll do that next week?

The Gipper; More success with this as well. This ball is lofty and slow kind of like the deliveries that the little boys that bowl leg spin at our club get and I've seen them bowl with devastating affect! This draws the bat down the wicket and then allows you to put a faster one in there a few balls later. If they come so far down the wicket and miss cos they've not come far enough it usually has enough spin on the ball to get past them and the wicket keeper should be taking the bails off. I had the video camera with me tonight and shot 8GB of footage and I'm still in the process of editing it all, but I've got at least 2 deliveries of the Gipper on file, so I'll be uploading that to youtube in the next 48 hours or so. Type in someblokecalleddave in youtube and you'll see my bowling vid clips.

The Wrong One: Used this a few times after observing Wayne Simmons's amazing off-spinners - man does he get it to turn! Fast and vicious, but you kind of see that the bats know what he does and they quickly adapt to it. Having seen him do a few of those I tried a few and probably most of them came out crap, so I don't know if that's an indication of the fact that my muscle reflex memory is at last fading and I'm beginning to be more in tune with bowling other variations? Despite the majority of the wrong uns being rubbish one or two in amongst the leg spinning variations (Flipper, Gipper and Leg Break) seemed to cause problems.

The Flipper: My flipper is coming along nicely, it turns well when lofted up and skids in low with it. Currently I'm using it more or less as my stock ball because of the accuracy I get with it and the way I can vary the pace.

One of the other areas I've identified as being an issue is the rotation of the body through the delivery stride as the leg comes round and over. I'd already noted in the David Freedman/Beau Casson clip (wattacoach website) on youtube that they look a this as an issue and then noticed in my youtube clips - YouTube - someblokecalleddave - wrong un from behind/right wrist spin that my rotation is far in excess of 180 degrees. But the Coach we have at nets who I've now found out is Terry Hills (Matts Dad) also pointed it out tonight. He noticed because as I come into the crease at a slight angle and then rotate and affectively over-shoot the 180 degrees. The actual intention on my part is that - yeah I do come in at an angle in order that the delivery is then straight down the wicket at the stumps, but I concede that instead of my rotating foot then landing in line with the stumps I come round further (too far) and end up pointing to slips. Terry advocates I come much wider and don't even bother attempt to bowl down the middle. I'm not so sure whether that's something I want to do as all the coaching I've seen on-line indicates a straight down the middle as close into the stumps as possible approach? But - yeah I'm with him on the over-rotation crticism and it's something I'm happy to work on.

The other thing I noticed is that it looks as though I seem to have slowed down through the delivery and that's something I want to work on as well. The videos are good for this as it's comparable evidence. There is so much still to learn with this game - oh so much! Terry was talking about the Batsmen and capitalising on their weaknesses. I didn't quite catch what he was saying but he was saying when a batsman displays a reluctance to play certain strokes/shots you then as a the bowler should bowl to his weakness. Which I suppose is really obvious but it requires that when you're out there along with everything else that's going through your head including the fact that the last ball was hit for 6 and you'd just bowled 2 wides before that, it's going to take some feat of concentration to also think about these other more subtle tactics. Maybe that's where a captain or the wicket keeper my be useful to draw your attention to such weaknesses?

So all in all not such a successful bowling session in that I didn't get the ball to go past the bats so much as last week - as a bloke on a cricket forum has just said....

"Its annoying re the six hit heros in the nets as they never play that way in a match and then wonder why they cant play spin"!

Most of the blokes in our net seemed to intent on bashing the ball for six and I'm not so sure they'd play the same in a match situation?

One last thing, if you're skint like me or hate Murdoch and his politics and you want to watch the cricket try this... ooxtv.com it's a bit ropey but it works fairly well.

Good on Ravi Bopara for being sold on the IPL for 300,000 quid. Probably means cricket UK will get screwed over in the longer term, but I can't deny the bloke the chance to earn that kind of money so quickly.

I am happy to see the nets being arranged so u can practice in off season.
Also the jubilation after bowling the gripper.

Keep up the practice..all the best.

Virender

Leg Spin bowling links

I've just compiled a list of links with useful wrist spin bowling coaching tips and videos on my own blog at Wrist Spin Bowling and thought I'd post it up here too....

I've just update my own blog with an entry listing all my favourite wrist spin/spin website links (see Wrist Spin Bowling) and I thought I'd bung em all in here as well. If you know of any others that you've come across let me know so that I can add them to my list.

After finding yesterdays interesting website I thought it'd be a good idea to compile a list of my favourite websites that relate to Spin bowling.

This is a website that's offering on-line coaching, but if you click on the images on the right hand side of the home page, there's some useful clips. Cricket Coaching Online - HOME

This website is an example of the on-line coaching available through wattacoach - it's a you tube clip featuring Australia's Beau Casson and I reckon this is one of the most useful resources for wrist spinners on the internet YouTube - David Freedman legspin coaching video

This is probably the most popular one - Shane Warne with Mark Richards at Perth. Although this is pretty good I reckon the following 3 kind of obssess too much about the variations and can serve to do more damage to Wrist Spinners that are trying to learn the art YouTube - Shane Warne

Similarly Terry Jenner demonstrating Leg Spin basics on the BBC website here seen on youtube. This is possibly the better of the two YouTube - Cricket: How to bowl leg-spin like Shane Warne

The second Terry Jenner Wrist Spin clip again from the BBC website. This one deals with the variations in more depth. YouTube - Cricket: Shane Warne's five spin deliveries.

This is the first of the 2 cloverdale clips. I like this one because it features someone other than Warne, there's loads of clips of Stuart McGill who has a very different style to Warne. YouTube - Cloverdale Cricket Masterclass Spin Bowling tips 1

This is the 2nd of the Cloverdale and deals with Offspin primarily but it's still interesting YouTube - Cloverdale Cricket Masterclass spin bowling tips 2

Another Off Spin - Mark Richards again, this time with Muttiah Mularitharan YouTube - Understanding Muttiah 'Murali' Muralitharan

This one with footage of Warne in slow motion so that you can see how the ball comes from his hand YouTube - if u r a cricket lover u'll have tears seein this

Same thing with Murali YouTube - Muttiah Muralitharan | Super slow motion footage

And of course this Old Skool stuff including the Iverson/Gleeson techniques Google Image Result for http://www.planetnz.com/palmheads/images/grips2_2.jpg

From my main blog - Wrist Spin Bowling: Scoring

This is another one of those jobs that seems to lack takers in our club. I've never been able to do it because I've never been taught as such. I've watched people do it and have a vague idea, but it's confusing because different people do it in different ways. In the past I've down loaded instructions off the internet and there's one website in New Zealand that seems to have a pretty comprehensive series of instructions that looks like the way that my club captain of the past year does it, so that's the one I've used to try and learn.

http://www.aucc.co.nz/Cricket scoring - getting started.pdf

But tonight I had an idea after watching the test match last night in the West Indies. At one point the camera panned around the crowd in between overs and zoomed in on a bloke who had what looked like a scorebook on his lap and I thought there's one of those autistic types - that has to make lists and it looks like his thing is cricket scores. But the camera zoomed in and he was doing a crossword, but my initial conclusion which I'd jumped to gave me an idea. Instead of just sitting here watching the cricket on the computer, use it as an opportunity to learn how to score? So tonight armed with my Bourne's Empire cricket scoring book I had a go and it looks like it might work. One of the scores that came up was a 5 that came off a leg-bye. So I've now got to look into that rule/law and see where the single came from. I understand that the 4 came from the fact that it crossed the boundary, but did the single come by virtue of the batsmen running? Once I've figured that out and looked at the law I can then have another go at scoring during the next match and put the learning into practice, I have to do it in order to learn it as I'm a Kinesthetic learner Kinesthetic learning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's also potential for my boys to do the same and learn using the same system, I'm not entirely convinced that they'll take the bait, but I might run it by them and see if they do?

So using Wikipedia again I came up with this - Leg bye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leg bye
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
In the sport of cricket, a leg bye is a run scored by the batting team when the batsman has not hit the ball with his bat, but the ball has hit the batsman's body or protective gear.
If the ball deflects off the batsman's body and needs to be gathered by a fielder, the batsmen may have the opportunity to score runs safely, and may choose to do so. The number of runs scored are scored as leg byes - they are added to the team's total, but not to the number of runs scored by either batsman, nor to the number of runs conceded by the bowler.
If the ball deflects off the batsman's body and travels all the way to the boundary, the batting team immediately scores four leg byes, similar to if the ball had been hit to the boundary for a four.
Leg byes may only be scored if the ball hit the batsman while the batsman was in the process of either:
attempting to hit the ball with his bat, or
attempting to evade being hit by the ball.
If the batsman was attempting neither of these, and the ball hits his body, it is a dead ball and runs may not be scored. The batsmen may, however, attempt to score runs and may be run out. If they complete such a "run" when the ball is dead, the umpire will signal dead ball, the run is not scored, and the batsmen must return to their wickets as before the run attempt.

I've now had a look at the law and how to fill in the scoring book and it's one of the those situations where it looks as though it's not going to happen that much in a match and it'll take me a while to remember the sequence as it's entered into the score book, but it looks like this is the order in the scoring of the 5 I've just seen.

1. An upside down triangle is entered into the batsmans line.
2. Four runs are added to the running total on the RH side of the score book.
3. One point is added to the Leg Byes extra row
4. An upside down triangle is entered in the bowlers analysis

I'm tempted to look at other incidence, but I'll leave them until I come across them as I've just noticed a load of contradictory information about how to record byes!

Other News

As we're on holiday (Half term) at the minute I decided that we'd go and hire a badminton bay at the leisure centre and have some indoor practice (Ben, Joe and me). We all had a bit of a bowl and a bat and both of them bowled and batted better than me! We also did some fielding exercises - they especially liked the 2 fielders chasing down the ball where the lead fielder scoops up the ball for the follow up fielder to then turn and throw the ball back in. We did some catching practice which they're getting much better at and seem to enjoy, but God knows what they're going to be like with real balls, as every time I suggest doing some easy work with real balls they're not up for it at all! Ben was rubbish at using the long barrier technique, so that's something he'll have to work on. I also set up some stumps and got them trying to throw the ball at the stumps over a fair distance - 30-35 yards. The thing with that was that Ben wasn't interested in taking any notice of my advice. I was trying to teach him the Paul Collingwood technique as they do at his club, but it was as though because I was telling him I was talking nonesense. Ah well - can't get too hung up on it. BBC SPORT | Cricket | Skills | Throw like Paul Collingwood

Other than that I went across to our field and checked out how it was fairing after all the recent harsh weather. It's not too bad. The wicket markers are all still in place. The grass shows no signs of growing yet and looks fairly sparse across the whole field. The earth is really moist no doubt in part due to the fact that the grass isn't growing and therefore not drawing up the water. Being so soft it looks like the ideal time to roll it, but I noticed that football field had just recently been white-lined so there's obviously football intended this coming weekend. I'll just have to see how it pans out and leave it for at least another 2 weeks and see what happens.

We also went over to another field where we practice Five Tree Field and had a look at that as that's normally a very flat surface. That too was also very wet, but looked a lot lumpier than I expected it to be. While we were over there I noticed one of the ground staff and asked about the footballers erecting ther own goal posts and nets as they do and whether this was allowed and the this particular bloke said no. He went on to explain that the issue was that after a weekend of damage from the official football teams the ground staff hope that the field then has a good five days in which to recover, so if during the week groups of blokes come along and start playing 7 aside games on the same fields as they do further damage is done to the fields. I didn't go on to ask the question so would it be okay then if we were to erect cricket nets on a non-football field. Instead what I'll do is email the main man himself and see what he says about the prospect of us putting up nets for a couple of hours every fortnight?

News of this weeks nets (For more details see Wrist Spin Bowling: Nets Feb 19th G&CCC )

So the nets. Loads of people there tonight 19 - 20 which is good for the club I'd imagine if they're all coughing up 5 quid to have a go. All the nets were in use and I was sharing a net with Danny (Batting) and The Wizard bowling his big turning Leg Breaks. Now last week and the week before Danny was dealing with my bowling fairly well but this week I was bowling slightly differently using my new small Legbreak quite a bit which is a usefull ball that seemed to get the better of him lots of times. It's a ball that tended to bounce more than my other deliveries and is also much faster than the others too, I've got a feeling that it dips more than the rest as well - it does turn, but I think that the turn is being sacrificed at the expense of top-spin and it's the top spin that is causing the dip?

Terry the coach came over to the Wizard and me and said that he'd been on a Terry Jenner coaching session and had some tips for us. He showed us the stand start drill, saying that the foot should be pointing in the direction of the delivery and the leading hand doing the same, the leading hand should be high and come down acting like a rudder steering the direction of the flight. The following through leg (hips) combined with the rotation of the shoulders gives the ball the drive. He emphasised the cocking of the wrist at the start having it in a position close in to the chest. I find if I do this (Cocking) it increases the chance of producing a wrong un. One point that he did make that correlates with my own experience is the widening of the distance between the 2 up fingers and the 2 fingers especially the 3rd finger on the seam. It's the 3rd finger that creates the spin. We both gave it a go but the Wizard gave up by his third attempt. I kept at it a little longer, but it's something I've already had in mind for when the weather gets better and I've got a bucket with 40 + balls in it to practice with and I can really focus on what I'm doing.

Any way back to 'Swiss' Danny Groves. Yeah I had him bowled at least 8 times maybe as many as 10 times? I may have hit the stumps once but most of it was edged balls that a wicket keeper may have taken, top edge balls that went straight up in the air to the bloke at short extra cover or Mid wicket and at least two that went up in the air that I'd have caught. I should ask him what it was that was causing the problem, but the fact that the majority of the balls seemed to be top edge errors suggests that it was the top-spinning small Leg Breaks.

Later on discussing this with Neil my captain he was saying that he doesn't actually produce much spin at all and yet he's the leading wicket taker at the club (Holds the record I think as of this year) and all he relies on is variation in speed, length and flight and needless to say accuracy. I was explaining the situation with this small leg break and how affective it seemed to be and how frequently I was getting it to go past the bat just missing the top of the off-stump. (If they had bails on I reckon I was looking at having bowled Dan about 12 - 13 times). I then had an epiphnal moment where I realised that I should work with this small leg break over the next 2 or 3 sessions in the nets only using this delivery but doing as Neil does - vary, the length, flight and speed whilst also trying to figure what it is that I need to do to get it to spin a little more. If I do this - this all fits in with the plans to develop this leg break as my main form of attack and looking at how accurate and affective it was tonight it looks as though my plan is coming together.

The Wizard tonight had very mixed fortunes, when he wasn't throwing the ball into the nets he (as always) was getting masses of turn on the ball. But it looks as though Danny knew what to expect and I got the impression that when the ball didn't turn that caused more problems? Saying that I had 15 minutes at the end facing Danny Bowling and The Wizard. The Wizard had me out with 80% of his balls as I was trying to figure out how I could approach his bowling in an attacking manner. On a few ocassions I went bounding down the wicket to the pitch of the ball and hit it which he commended me on, but it's not that easy and as I said most of the time I came unstuck and would have been stranded miles from my crease and out. The other approach step back on to the back foot and track the ball as Danny does and hit it was just as problematic as a lot of the time I simply missed it and swinging at it always runs the risk of edging it which happened a few times as well. So maybe a more defensive approach is required which then causes the bowler to possibly bowl in a different way, but then if I'm in at No.9 or 10 I'm in a position (as I have been) where if I can score a few runs at the end of the game I might win the game? So should my priority be to learn how to score runs off spinners using an aggressive approach or a more cautious approach?

I did better off Danny's bowling as he bowls straight and I was trying to produce a front foot drive or a defensive drive and I think I kept him at bay throughout my time at the crease. All of his balls that were on target were all successfully defended or hit fairly well. It's the wide easy looking ones that cause the bigger problem as they're the ones that I have a got at and they produce the edge that goes up into the sky and are easily caught.

So all in all a very commendable night all topped off with a lift home from Matt. He was saying that G&CCC under 11's are scheduled to play B&PCC fairly soon at the start of the season and that as soon as he knows he'll let me know as he's interested to see how Ben and Joe are getting on. It pans out that the boys cricket matches are played on Sunday mornings early, so it sounds as though I'll be able to go and watch their matches and then go on to play my own. I just hope that Ben and Joe get in the team - especially the Grays match if they do something like rotate who plays in the matches? But I think it's a league so you'd expect that they'd pick the strongest team? Matt was saying that the current U11's isn't that strong this year. So that'll be interesting and good to watch, I can't wait!

Another update from one of my other blogs. This one from - Wrist Spin Bowling: Diary

Leg Breaks; Generally in the nets my bowlings been good again it seems as though there's going to be a massive improvement on last year. Last year I kind of lost the confidence to bowl Flippers and it wasn't till the last 3 or 4 games that I tried them again, but at the moment they're fairly good and accurate. This year the Gipper has come on massively YouTube - The Gipper Wrist Spin Bowling and I'm able to bowl a good line and length with it and vary the way it's delivered and it causes problems. How it converts to proper wickets will be interesting to see. The Wrong un is still there and the top spinner is okay other than the fact that I have a tendency for it to turn into a Wrong un.

But the Leg Break........ I just look at other people bowling it and remember once upon a time I could do it and also that day one summer (I'm losing count now) when I tried the Peter Philpott bowling inwards technique and sussed the Big Leg Break But now I can barely get it to turn. But I'm persevering and slowly it's coming together. When I bowl it in the nets I've had good feedback from Simon (MPA), Neil and Danny. Seemingly of all the balls I bowl it has several extra characteristics -

1. It's considerably faster than the others
2. It dips.
3. It drifts
4. It bounces more

So with that in mind it looks as though I should definitely keep at it, because I do get frustrated with it. The most frustrating thing I find is the bloke I bowl with in the nets The Wizard gets his balls to turn enormously and I just stand thinking how the **** does he do that? But then I despair at the fact that a lot of the time he's throwing the ball into the nets both legside and offside which he does in the games as well. I think he needs to put some hours in maybe just bowling top-spinners at the stumps and getting his line right and then maybe work on bringing the spin in? But what a shame all that spin/turn potential and no accuracy.

Whereas my Leg Break is very accurate line wise but it doesn't have a lot of turn. Lengths a slight problem, but I reckon that'll be easily cured. Another incredibly frustrating aspect is the fact that indoors just flicking the ball around I can get the ball to spin ridiculously like a big leg break but can't convert it to include pushing the ball forward. Going back to the point about the 2 hours when I did get the big leg break I was under the influence of alcohol, so perhaps it may be an idea to get half cut and try it then when I'm far more relaxed - see if that has any beneficial outcome?

Other than that over the next 2 -3 net sessions I'm going to be working 95% on the leg break accepting that it doesn't turn a great deal, work with the fact that I can pitch it on the off stump and just look at the potential of bowling different speeds, lengths, flights etc. This has come about through a conversation on facebook with my captain Neil who holds the club record for the most wickets he said that he can hardly get the ball to turn at all and gets all of his wickets through variation of flight, dip, speed, length with a very week offy action.

I've done it! I can now bowl the Leg Break again and it'll become my stock ball over the next month and into the new season. There's another Leg Spinner in my club who's played cricket for 2 months more than me and we're about the same on paper stats wise and I'm out to ensure that I take more wickets, bowl more maidens, go for less runs etc. So I can't wait for the season to start!

Yeah I think the book has been helpful but I think Saddo alluded to the fact that sometimes it can be so in depth that there's too much to take in. Wrist spin bowling as all the commentators say is very difficult to get your head round with so many things that can go wrong that would put a lot of people off of pursuing it. I think I'm exceptionally lucky in that my own team is captained by a China Man bowler and there's a culture of spin bowling that is accepted and encouraged. My first year was awful looking back, but they gave me loads of overs and I must have single handedly lost matches on several occassions, yet they would let me bowl the next week and so on. So yeah the book is good, but can be too much I think?

I think one of the most influential things I've come across in the last year or so is the Beau Casson clip with the video clip of the bloke in his back garden where Beau Casson analyses his action and mirrors it with his own. This video clip with the stand starts and all the little details it mentions is probably the one thing that helped the most with my bowling, more so than the book. I think in future and over the next year the book will make more sense and become more of a source of information so I'll keep referring to it and encouraging other wrist spinners to read it, because it is a seminal piece of writing for any wannabe wrist spinner.

I've had a fantastic 2 hours in the nets tonight and bowled possibly the best I've ever bowled. This new Leg Break is coming together very nicely and is devastating when used alongside the Wrong Un have a read - Wrist Spin Bowling: Oh Yes!!!!

And yet another blog! After 6 months of going at it I've eventually sussed out how to bowl leg breaks, I no longer suffer from the Googly syndrome and I'm now moving towards being a fair wrist spin bowler. With 2 years or doing nothing but writing and reading about wrist spin bowling I reckon I'm in a position where I can pass on my experiences to other people who are struggling and with this in mind I've now decided that I'm going to try and create one of the definitive resources on the internet for wannabe wrist spin bowlers. You'll find it here - needless to say it's under construction if you come across this in March 2009 Legspin bowling: Legspin bowling

Dave,

Are there any tips or advice for Left arm spinners in the book.
Can u share some of the contents..
Hoping to pick something very useful for my spin bowling.

Virender

Hi, virender, sorry for butting in. As you know we love spin especially leg spin, so left arm spin is sort of our orphan brother( no googly, flipper etc).You are lucky as you took the easy way to spin.I am just joking. Take a look at these videos even though you probably have already seen them. Look for the Monty Howzatt Panesar. By the way there are also some videos of battingby the great english batsmen:Cook and Ambrose. For the latter I think you had better look at your heros Tendulkar,Sehwag,Gambhir,Dravid etc as you might get into bad habits. Here is the link Cricket video news reports, clips, highlights and analysis - Cricket Academy and The Analyst, with SImon Hughes - Telegraph TV - Telegraph

Look in the CRICKET ACADEMY on the telegraph site

Back