someblokecalleddave's Blog

Re: someblokecalleddave's Blog

someblokecalleddave said:
...I've got an Auto-biography on the go as well that spans 10 years of my life between 19 and 29 that's 750,000 words long and still no-where near finished!

:eek:

Is that wise? Mine between 19 and 29 would fill a library, if any of it was printable that is. :laugh:

Gipper - it's a hybrid bowling action - A googly release - e.g. out of the back of the hand but instead of using the 2 up 2 down finger grip I use the flipper action. You should look at my main blog there's images and further explanations.

Liz Ward said:
:eek:

Is that wise? Mine between 19 and 29 would fill a library, if any of it was printable that is. :laugh:

At 3/4 of a million words it's 1600 pages long and yeah you're right if I was to distribute it in the form it's in, someone would bump me off!

Yeah it's pretty epic! I'm just sorting todays upload of cricket madness now, just got to sort out the USB key from work and copy it across.

It's now Tuesday and I'm still suffering with regards my thighs which have obviously taken a real pounding. There's so obviously a massive difference between running in training situations and running in competitive situations, after training I ache for a short while but the next morning there's nothing like this, so do I need to step up my running training? I'll see how I feel Wednesday night?

The other aftermath of the match is insect bites. I've noticed a new type of fly that I've never experienced before in my life. It's nothing like a gnat/mosquito, more like your normal house fly but about 1/3 of the size, maybe slightly smaller. They're found on fields and there's laods of them on the football field where I do my fitness training and you have to keep moving otherwise they swarm around you and make their move. Unlike gnats they seem to not be fussed by the fact that you are moving and this maybe because like house flies they're more robust and mobile when compared to your skinny little delicate gnat who seems to have to hover and land surrupticiosly in places you cant see. But these little bleeders are a lot more "Get in there"! But - man do they bite. YOu don't notice it until the next day and then the itching starts, but unlike a gnat bite you can't dig a cross in your skin and break the skin and sort the problem out like that - no, these bleeders itch like mad for over a week or more and you end up scratching you skin to bit all over and around the initial bite! I've seen people scratch themselves and cause infections and end up in hospital with them!

Finally - it's now almost Wednesday and still my legs are stiff! The good news is that my thumb is okay and the swelling has gone down and it's no longer painful so it looks as though there's nothing wrong with it other than it must have been bashed?

I've just read through this and realised it's a bit short on cricket content! But it might be something you can all relate to so.....

Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Wednesday and already I've had the call up from my captain (Last night) for the coming match on Sunday and it seems he was pleased with my bowling as well. I've also emailed him back asking to identify some of the blokes on Sunday who's names I didn't know, so I may be able to rectify some of the mistakes? I'm well up for Sunday but it's my Mother-in Laws 60th birthday on Saturday and the party is at my gaff. So that'll mean that I've got my Bro-In-Law et al coming down from the snowy north (Derby) who usually hang around till Sunday afternoon before they head back and it might be seen as bad form if I walk out on everyone Sunday Midday? I'll have to see how it pans out. One possible positive is the face that it's May bank holiday and they may be staying till Monday in which case my absense for 6 hours on Sunday might be over-looked?

Today I was reeling in shock that petrol and no doubt Diesel is now more than £5.00 a gallon and I said to Michelle "Strewth - did you know petrol was £5.00 a gallon now"? To which she replied "Yes and there's you driving backwards and forwards to Loughton on Sunday"! I should have seen that coming, but you can see how cricket goes down in my house? I'll have to mark in the fixture on the calender tonight and mention it somewhere in a conversation and see what kind of a response I get. I can feel some decorating coming on.......

Other than that the weather at the most doesn't look too clever although the weather system looks pretty static at the moment possibly meaning that it's moving slowly and I know there's a high pressure area behind it, so maybe that'll move into place Friday or Saturday slowly and then be around for a while and dry everything out as the rain in the last 24 hours has been fairly heavy.

Thursday, May 01, 2008
Following on from yesterdays entry where I was talking about the chance of not being able to make the cricket match this Sunday it's worked out that I'm not going to be there. A part of this 60th birthday celebration is that we've been invited round to my In laws house for a big Sunday dinner so I can't really not turn up and slope off to cricket. Additionally my thumb is still bruised and I've got a wretched cold so could well do with a bit of a restful period to get better, so on that front - not going may turn out to be a good thing?

Watching the news today there was an article about the fact that there's a trend currently of people taking up second jobs in order to keep financially afloat - sounds ominous to me. I'm skint but I don't think we need to do that quite yet. These things though must impact on cricket teams - as I said yesterday Michelle made the point that I'd driven to Loughton on my own and that 2-3 others did the same thing going to the same venue when we could have easily shared a car? Our club probably like many seems to be in a situation where it needs to earn revenue and one of the ways that it does this is through alcohol sales at the clubhouse and social events. I for one didn't make it back to the clubhouse last Sunday - not because I didn't want to, but because of a whole raft of reasons one of them being cash. Normally I'm skint what with being a lecturer, but in the current situation with diesel being £5.00 + a gallon, the cost of basic foods going up by ridiculous amounts in the last year on top of electricity and gas I'm even more skint. So to spend £10 on a cricket game and the diesel getting there and then spend money in the bar back at the clubhouse and not get back to see your kids before they go to bed all adds up to potential aggro at home? This is where Cricket is kind of stuck back in the 1950's when men were men and women were more or less slaves with no control over their own lives. Family these days thankfully is recognised as being important and absent fathers a potential problem with regards wider social problems.

Back in the day - even as recently as my Dads time in the 1960's when I was a kid he'd have gone out (if he'd been able to drive) done the cricket and not come home till he'd been kicked out of the clubhouse and crawled into bed drunk having been absent for over half the day on a Sunday. In fact my Dad would have done Saturday as well and the sense I get looking back is that the incentive would have been to "get away from her indoors and the kids" which sort begs the question - why get married and have kids if you want to live the life of a single man. So you have to strike a balance these days and this in itself doesn't work for cricket clubs and causes a financial flow problem.

I've asked the question before is cricket a middle class game - the amount of money required to kit yourself out and your kids, drive all over the county (In some cases) and then hang out at the clubhouse for 4 hours getting legless at great expense sounds as though it's a game for those that relatively wealthy or very single. For the likes of me with the ever increasing financial burdens coming from all sides it's a problem.

Nicknames
Looks like I may get allocated a nickname by my team captain!

A nickname that'll be funny - that's a real Grays and Tilbury thing. Coming from Tilbury everyone had nicknames and I'm always surprised when you go elsewhere - even as close as Romford and Southend people get the ache when you give them nicknames and suggest you're being offensive. There was a bloke who turned up at work with black hair with a white band bleached into it going from front to back.......

http://mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com/2007/03/thomas-slater-no.html

- it was obvious he was going to be called Badger - who the hell was going to call him by his real name when he looked like this and no-one could remember his real name! So from day one I was referring to the bloke as "That badger Bloke" everyone knew who I was on about, yet initially they kept saying "You can't call him that"! By the time the bloke left everyone knew him as Badger and were buying him badger badges and he had pictures on the wall of badgers and all sorts and no-one knew his real name. Yeah - so let's have a nickname! God knows what he'll come up with - but being from Grays I'm sure it'll be half decent and if it's not too bad I'll have to live with it!

Other good news in the email was the fact that as of May 9th G&CCC will be having Friday evening practice sessions from 6pm so hopefully I'll be able to get out there most Fridays and have some practice for a couple of hours and learn some stuff. "Sammers" as he's known is going to hopefully show/explain to me some of the rationale behind his fielding positioning when I bowl so that it makes more sense to me and perhaps I'll be able to bowl slightly more with a tactic? I'm also going to go over some catching with him with regards having the ball come straight back at you when you're bowling, all good stuff and hopefully up my game a bit?

Wednesday training
Didn't happen today. As I got off the train to walk the few hundred yards home it was apparent that it had just poured down in the last few minutes with standing water everywhere. Puddles and trees dripping from the deluge. I've still got this cold so I feel like crap, but on a more positive front the legs feel okay having eventually recovered and the thumb feels marginally better but still a long way off from being able to bowl flippers.

I don't know about anyone else but if you've got a cold I find the last thing I should do is physically exert yourself as it just decends into a much worse cold? So all things combined and the fact that we've got an OFSTED inspection at work in couple of Mondays and we're all stressed out at work the only good thing I was good for was going to bed for a couple of hours. In fact last night I was in bed by 8pm I was so knackered.

So hopefully if I rest - by Sunday week I'll be ready for action again, thumb included?

I had a look through our Cricket Annual Dance images to see if there was any pictures of the team but there wasn't any there that did the blokes justice, so I've left that as an idea. I'll just have to remember to take the camera to the next match or the Practice next Friday and get some shots including the ground with the flats in the background!

Nicknames are great as long as a bit of thought goes into them. Adding a 'y' to the end of the surname isn't, I mean is 'hoggy' or 'harmy' really that good?

Best nickname I ever came across was Denzel, as the chaps initials were DC, you have Washington DC and Washington leads to Denzel Washington - genius! A bit of thought put into it and you get a good one.

Yeah most of ours are the type you've mentioned - the Captain is Neil Samwell so he's "Sammers" and it may end up I'm Tomo because I'm Thompson. But in the past with different groups of people I've been called all sorts - "Geezer; Doy; Slime Man; Deigo; Slimey Lobster; Slime; Neptune; Neppy - most of which are associated with the fact that when I used to surf I had the most incredibly deep suntan and was constantly covered in mostly some kind of oil with no protection - can't remember what it was called but it was meant for hair not putting on your body or if it was really hot factor 2 Hawaiian Tropic. The oil may have just been pure coconut oil? so I was always slimey and looked like an Italian on holiday!

Some of the names are really convaluted in there origin. Doy for instance which was one I had when I was about 16-17 started out because my brother was Jamie Thompson and I think in 1976-77 there was an Asian cricket player called Jama Doy or similar and the kids at scouts called my brother Jama Doy so because he was called Jama Doy someone out of nowhere called me Un-Doy? So all the scouts called me Un doy. Loads of the scouts went to go on to be skateboarders and we used all skateboard together and they shortened it down to Doy. It ended up that the town next to mine where I used to hang out the name was used so much that most of the people I used to hang about with thought my real name was "Doy Thompson" and even now people I've known for 30 years refer to me as Doy and it's not even a nickname I like!!

I'm sorry Dave, I was always a Muppet fan, so I will forever think of you as Pepe... Pepe the King Prawn!

Pepe hated being called a shrimp... "I'm a King Prawn, OKay!", in a very strong Spanish accent.

Before going to Hollywood, Pepe used to be a chef in Spain but it was getting a bit dangerous, he kept getting mistaken for the starter :eek:

I always had more Macho names Liz - Shark Bait was another - after paddling out to a 20' shark on my own once after the beach had been cleared of bathers by helicopter and lifeguards!

anyway todays installment - Thumb
Picked up a ball today for the first time and threw it around trying to fathom sliders and different ways that might be bowled, but my thumb is still bruised internally and I can't use it properly so I need more time for it to heal. I was looking again at the Knuckle ball and how that might work in amongst Leg Spin variations. I'm not so sure because cricket ball have the circular seam and baseballs have the looping S shape seams and it's the shape of the seam that makes the ball spiral as it flies through the air and drift weirdly, so a straight ball with no spin in any direction with a cricket ball may be utterly redundant unless of course there is some unexpected ball/airflow impact. Once my hand gets better I'll spend a bit of time looking at both these. It's interesting that slight variations in conventional grips do have potential to change the way the ball reacts in flight and also if a batsman is trying to pick a ball - how might that unsettle him if he sees something that he's not used to? Do they really concentrate that hard on trying to pick the ball?

About travel to away matches, always, always, always use three cars, there is no point in everyone taking their cars, is there? My team just drives up to our home ground and we just take it from there.

we always meet at a local school, and half the team are not old enough to drive! or there cars would not make it there

mas cambios said:
Nicknames are great as long as a bit of thought goes into them. Adding a 'y' to the end of the surname isn't, I mean is 'hoggy' or 'harmy' really that good?

Best nickname I ever came across was Denzel, as the chaps initials were DC, you have Washington DC and Washington leads to Denzel Washington - genius! A bit of thought put into it and you get a good one.

i always give well thought out nicknames to most people but usually they are not very complimentary :p

Friday 2nd May Part II
Friday morning and it's sunny. Everywhere is sodden and the grass is heavy with dew because of the clear skies over night and little wind. Because of the impending party I'm on DIY duties again so have had to stick around home clearing stuff up and preparing for the party. In between walking from the garage which is right outside my house though I've managed to throw a few balls - all deliveries not requiring any input from my thumb and I'm very encouraged by what's been happening. I'm now getting the leg break to turn from almost the full length of a cricket pitch albeit only slightly - but it is turning and that's what matters, so today I've hardly tried bowling wrong Uns concentrating instead of ressurecting the leg break and bit by bit it's coming back to me. It's exactly as Peter Philpott says (In my case) you have to concentrate and it basically the rotation of the wrist in order that the ball leaves the hand rotating in the right direction. I've notices too that it seems because I am bowling with no input what so ever the fingers are doing more and the spin seems to be more affective?
Whilst outside I could hear the groundsman over at the football pitch (100 yards away) mowing the pitch which is good news as it'll mean that'll be slightly better to practice on and I may even designate a wicket and get my little Qualcast panther rotary hand mower out and cut the grass to help with the practice and my kids and I can have a knock about over there as well? It was interesting that there was a feature on the news this morning that there's been an increase in sales in Qualcast panthers and manual mowers and people are moving back to "Proper" lawn mowers to cut their lawns. I never liked hover-mowers ever - noisy, electric, wasteful and no physical effort on your part no wonder we're a country of over-weights! So it'll be good to hear the clatter of rotary blades against the backdrop of Blackbirds and Thrushes singing in the years to come instead the din of a hover-mower and besides the cut is so much better!

What with the promise of a practice Friday nights now and a full day of cricket on Sunday it's looking increasingly unlikely that I'm going to be able to get involved with the blokes over at Gloucester Park. Working late Tuesday and Monday with scouts with the boys on Wednesday that only leaves Thursday and during the day on Saturday and I reckon that will be pushing the limits at home, so it's increasingly looking as though that plan is going to the wall a bit? I'll just see what happens, with a bit of luck I'll be going over there during Saturday morning and I'll see if there's any evidence of them having been playing over there.

18.00hrs

What a day! You may have read this morning that I was having some success with my leg break outside my house and this afternoon eveming I've been out there a few times on and off and it's coming along nicely. It seems to be partly down to the bad thumb and the fact that it's playing no part in the action and maybe because I'm being forced to bowl balls other than the flipper - with no flipper I've just had loads of time to simply concentrate on bowling leg breaks. That coupled with all the early stage advice from Peter Philpotts book about keep trying to flick the wrist and drag the fingers over the seam to get the rip going and the whole arm movement etc - it's all working! The other key thing is the concentration factor. It's coming down to the fact that it is that circular action as you flick the wrist - like opening a door handle, but in order that it comes together I have to concentrate and pre-visualise and go through the required movement in my head before I execute the action. Today as it's come together I'm now ripping the ball so viciously with the fingers as they drag across the ball it makes a flick noise - which has never happened before! The net result is I'm getting the ball to turn and sometimes it's a big turn! So I'm getting there.

Also it just feels like I'm so much more confident after last Sundays game what with the consistency of line and length I was able to bowl. Now I'm looking at different ways of bowling the ball and just now I was bowling a two fingered release which is basically a back to front upside down straight ball - it's accurate and it's faster and has top spin.....

Hold the ball in you hand with your palm face up - with your arm extended in front of you. Hold the ball like would if you were a seam bowler with either finger each side of the seam. As you're standing there like that - that's the position the ball is in as it's released - so it comes out of your hand with top spin on it - the action from the point of the wind up requires as your arm comes over in order that the ball is released as described your arm has to twist/rotate in pretty much the same way as the Wrong Un does. Throwing this just a couple of times just now it seems to be very straight and accurate but then possibly accelerating and jumping up once it hits the deck? There's potential for further weirdness if you hold the ball across the seam - and as this could be used as a seam ball it may then drift?

If you lived in Australia you'd be Davo.

I don't really get nicknames, which kinda pisses me off,, I just get "lachie". Very creative! I got Jonesy because I used to have the bowling action of Simon Jones apparently, oh yeh and I got Fraiser and Frase by 2 people and Fray by 2 other people but yeh not much.

Back