Soreness

Re: Soreness

Ah! This makes a lot of sense.

As your arm went backwards and dislocated, the ligaments/tendons at the front of your shoulder stretched. Unable to return to original length, this jeopardised stability, making it really easy for the ball to slip out of the front of the socket. By tightening this area, and it does sound like the subscapularis, the doc has encased the ball a little tighter and unless you do the same thing again, it should hold a lot better.

Have you been given exercises to strengthen this area or planned visits to the physio soon?

All of the above.

I have been on rehabilitation exercises since it happened almost a year ago. Now I just continue with it as planned, except now taking a bit of a backwards step to encorporate this new situation.

All in all it is feeling quite fine. Four days now and I can almost say I feel little difference.

Do keep us updated Boris, I am very interested to hear how this progresses and as this is not an uncommon situation with cricketers, it may help others.

Little bit of a niggle today actually, had a bit more physical exertion than the last couple of days with just some general movement (no lifting or anything yet) and one spot got a little bit of an ache to it, but gone within a couple of hours.

Lifting a small weight directly out in front of me with a straight arm while standing I think so far has been a very effective exercise. Everyday I notice a big difference with it for such a simple thing to do.

I will try to continue updating but I tend to forget... so just say something if you want to know.

Thought I'd let anyone interested know that shoulder is back in full use again pretty much now. Last few days have been very full on physically wise, a lot of sport, but nothing that would stress that left side too much.

Feeling very good, only trouble is occasionally a little sore if hit in one particular spot or have a reasonable impact into that side (doesn't happen often though!).

Grip strength is still considerably down, 50% of that of my right side. Still having some struggle with weights on that side as well, that weakness still there as expected.

Thanks Liz and everyone else involved for the time and effort here. Not over yet, but the short term is taken care of.

Just thought I'd keep a running blog on my progress, as you asked Liz :)

Been eight months since surgery, and all in all I'm actually more worried about hurting my other shoulder now, the left one feels pretty strong and almost like nothing has happened. Still a touch down on strength (been measuring different strength tests pretty regularly to see how it's going) and at last measurement the left grip strength was 76% of right, seems about the same with other tests as well, can't remember other numbers off the top of my head.

Got plenty of time off with my new job and hence punishing my body pretty thoroughly with a lot of sport. I'm looking to look after it though as my baseball is coming along nicely and could even call myself a 'semi-professional' now if I wanted to :). So you will probably hear some more complaining from me in the future, Liz! haha

Thanks again, if I didn't have you answering my questions Liz I'd probably be an amputee by now.

Sounds great Boris... on all fronts ;).

Try not to worry too much about the other shoulder; if you worry about it, something will probably happen.

Onwards and upwards!

Back