South A & B 2011/12

You should try replying Q, then you might have the facts. Senior Division won't change and thats for the benefit of South Clubs and we will never become as bad as the Subbies. DH it is an arms race in Senior and the top clubs have to do it to competer with the likes of Yarraville and Hoppers who have more money than the rest of the comp combined. You can't stop them if they have pokies, you just have to try an import players to try and match them, picking the right one's is the key.

Nah I'm not buying it mate. 2 OS yes can see it, 4 or 5 becomes a joke. Cap it, restrict it do what you want, our kids deserve a better go. Let Yarraville and Hoppers and whoever else has the moula do what they like, or better still determine who is a paid player and attribute points appropriately to see if they can fit in a points cap. The issue with the two paid player system was it became innefectual as the VTCA didn't have the expertise or regulatory power to monitor it.
How does Vic Premier Cricket manage it? Remember the bucket of proverbial that hit Hawthorn-Monash and Spoljiaric?
If there's no fear of consequences the cashed up clubs just blow raspberries at the rest competition and play by their own rules. In the meantime- your arms race requires wannabe clubs to pay 4 and 5 overseas players to compete. That's wrong. With a healthy bank balance the VTCA executive should be considering the regulatory position needed to keep the competition local cricket, and open to all teams. Then set up a sub-group to monitor, regulate and where required investigate through audit, the clubs that are found to be or suspected of not toeing the line.
Airfares, accommodation, vehicles, coaching fees and the like that have to be diverted to OS players are better invested in your local players, juniors and club infrastructure that ultimately will benefit your club and the competition.
The argument that they can because they have cash is lazy and a cop-out, the VTCA is the competition's governing body, if they can't govern and regulate the competition effectively- that's the issue- not the financial success of a few well set-up clubs.

Very good points DH, that would all be good in a perfect world and you would be a good addition to the Exec.
This is not directed at you but everyone in the comp. Every year all the positions on the Exec become vacant and there is 1 position from the Match Commitee and NOT ONE person in the last three years has put their hand up to come on and help.

SS I understand this seems like a dart throwing exercise at the VTCA Exec, it's not. Over the past several years I've gained an appreciation for those blokes who give up their time to volunteer and adminsiter the competition. Hats off to them. I have a fair bit on my plate at club level. Perhaps in the future it's something I may give some thought to.
But being one of the poor bastards who runs around trying to create income and opportunities at a club level, and then strapping the boots on for a Saturday arvo, I'd rather have that money generated ploughed into better facilities for local players -junior and senior. As a representative of an affiliate club, I also have a right to expect good governance from the current executive.
I had a 14 year old play in a fourth XI match against an OS import who couldn't play First XI for his club last season, what does that do for a kids interest or enjoyment for the game.
It's a reasonable expectation that clubs should be playing local cricketers.

I’ve been in this comp for three years, coming from premier for two years and a pretty good suburban comp for far too many years to remember before that. IMO the VTCA does some things well, but a lot of things not so well. The move to one day rules was a good one, and long overdue. Would like to see the abolishment of bonus points, but reckon that would be ahrder to get over the line. 4 day GF still stagegrs me.

The VTCA rates itself pretty highly as a suburban comp – and rightly so – but I played in a comp that did a full radio broadcast of its 1st XI GF 15 years ago, as well as doing preview and review shows each week.

Could we squeeze in a north vs south game??

A couple of years ago at the presentation night the comment was made by a member of the VTCA that Yarraville have a model that other clubs should follow. Ridiculous comment that deserved the polite murmuring it got. Show me a club with a strong junior set up rather than spending money at the top end and I will show you a club with a good model.

The points system is not the be all and end all. It is good – paid players cannot be policed so that didn’t work – but a system where players paid massive amounts and then moved aside to be replaced by more massive paid players isn’t either. It has to be self-regulated, and if that is what they want to spend their money on, then good luck to them. I would rather spend our limited money on junior development and see some of our players achieve state representation (which we have done in the last couple of years)

SS – I think some of the south clubs don’t want to get caught up in that cycle. Some do, and good luck to them – but you don’t want to bankrupt your club doing it. Can’t speak for others, but our council is pretty good, CMCA is another story!!!

And most people on here are involved in certain clubs admin. I coach, play, am on our club’s executive, help out with juniors – as does DH at his club. I probably don’t have a lot of time spare to jump on the VTCA executive – but I reckon there are a chunk of people here who have a lot to offer. So use them. The committee system is not an efficient model, but if you have people outside of the committee with ideas, then the committee would be foolish not to ask guys like DH what he think could be done. Only listening to guys who jump on a committee is short sighted, IMO – and not having a crack at you. (although some people like to jump on committees!!!)

My 2c!!!!

I thing i forgot to mention is that there are only 2 people from the South on the Exec
What came first - South clubs leaving because the comp was going in a direction they didnt want to go, or simply no clubs left in South to provide exec.

But as I said before, utilise the intelligent people around the comp who for whatever reason (time, family, other committments, dont like committees) have decided not to join the executive of the VTCA. They have plenty to offer

I get the feeling that you have been around the VTCA for a lot longer than me, so probably have a lot better idea of who the better administrators are. And I'm not talking about the blokes who manage to spend pokie cash on attracting players. I’m talking about guys (or girls) who develop good players, good culture, have good junior set ups

DalesHack you have mentioned and in every conversation I have had with him he talks sense about local cricket and the admin of it. But he is too busy making sure his club is successful at every level to go on the VTCA exec. But surely his opinions at VTCA level should be sought – I would like to think somebody at VTCA house would occasionally ring him up and ask him “DH, what do you think of this”, “do you reckon this would work?” etc etc

Don’t just assume because a bloke who does a hell of a lot at local level and therefore doesn’t have the time to jump on committees at the next level up – can’t offer anything

As i said there are only 2 from the south on the exec, we need a couple more as people in the north wouldn't have a clue about the south. So how can we canvas the thoughts of people like him, meeting, what ?

Probably time to take this offline as I am boring even myself – but it doesn’t have to be formal. This year I have already had club meetings, CMCA meetings, junior steering meetings and I have picked up a bat twice!!!

Just pick up the phone and call those people who you think might have something to offer on the matter

Or come to their grounds and chat to them. When I played in another local comp, there were always executive members doing the rounds. We used to see a couple every week. In the VTCA, I doubt I would have seen any – even when we played GFs. I am sure Hampton would be more than happy to see some executive members down to Boss James for the first games on our newly resurfaced ground

As I said, happy to take it offline. PM me if you want.

Lets talk cricket now!!!

DH I had my first ball in the garden last night, nearly took my 4 year olds head off 10 feet and when she snicked one behind I sent her. The back spasms serve you right for training so early. Good positive chat on here gent. I will be sure to pop in to PCC at some point this year to share a beverage with you and your aging coach and president!

Hey SS this is somewhat relevant to your club as you guys are playing so many one dayers and you have an insight into the vtca exec. How have they come up with the rule that the second ball passing down leg side in any over is a NO BALL not just a wide ??

Hey SS this is somewhat relevant to your club as you guys are playing so many one dayers and you have an insight into the vtca exec. How have they come up with the rule that the second ball passing down leg side in any over is a NO BALL not just a wide ??
I thoguht it was any ball after the second ball, so it is essentially the 3rd ball - but yep, seems strange. I reckon that there will need to be some clarification. Can it be hit, or is it just for balls that actually pass leg stump

its got me beat, something to do with stumpings

DH I had my first ball in the garden last night, nearly took my 4 year olds head off 10 feet and when she snicked one behind I sent her. The back spasms serve you right for training so early. Good positive chat on here gent. I will be sure to pop in to PCC at some point this year to share a beverage with you and your aging coach and president!

That's gold UB! good form too first ball. I look forward to a quiet ale with you mate.

Back