South Africa tour England

Wolf

South Africa tour England

Hatred and Rivalry

Think back to England vs. South Africa matches of recent times, and as an England fan you see the glory years of Duncan Fletcher, and matches where an exciting brand of cricket is played. Firstly there is the glorious summer of 2003, which in quality more than matched the Ashes series two years later, when Graeme Smith with two double hundreds helped South Africa dominate the first two tests, a drawn first test at Edgbaston and a win at Lords in which Andrew Flintoff finally announced himself as a major force in international cricket with a scintillating 142 in the second test with the match gone. England came back to draw the series 2-2 James Kirtley taking an amazing six wicket haul to bowl them to victory in the third test, before Jacques Kallis repeated the feat in the fourth test, only for Marcus Trescothick to save the series for England with 219 at the Oval. England showed the aggressive cricket which was the forefront of the Fletcher era, and in the winter of 2004/05 they went on to record what many regard as England’s finest moment of recent times, a 2-1 win in South Africa’s own backyard, which set them up for the Ashes triumph next summer, the bowling attack of Flintoff, Jones, Harmison, Hoggard and Giles working together as a unit, and Andrew Strauss becoming the toast of English cricket with three fine centuries.

Since those series South Africa have grown while England have somewhat weakened, and the Saffas come into this series as clear favourites, possessing a fearsome bowling attack of Morkel, Steyn and Ntini and an aggressive batting line-up with no weak links. England on the other hand possess a relatively slow but swing-happy pace attack of Sidebottom, Broad and Anderson, with Panesar backing them up with his left arm spin, and with an inconsistent batting line up which seem unable to string a succession of scores together. All the batters will be under pressure because of the impending return of a fit again Flintoff, but with wet weather forecast for the opening test at Lords, they might not get much of a chance to showcase their credentials. With a draw likely at the home of cricket, it looks like the series will be down to three matches, and England will look to take advantage of the normal bowlers friendly pitch at Headingley before they move onto tests at Edgbaston and The Oval.

One thing is for certain there will be no love lost between the sides with England players Pietersen and Strauss both being born in South Africa. It will be Pietersen who will take the brunt of the stick as he is viewed as a traitor in South Africa after quitting the set up after becoming disillusioned the quota system and also having a long standing row with Smith.

The first test starts tomorrow, Thursday 10th July. If the rain holds, expect excitement in abundance.

Squads for both teams are as follows:

England (1st test only):

Michael Vaughan (Yorkshire, capt), Tim Ambrose (Warwickshire, wkt), James Anderson (Lancashire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Paul Collingwood (Durham), Alastair Cook (Essex), Monty Panesar (Northamptonshire), Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire), Ryan Sidebottom (Nottinghamshire), Andrew Strauss (Middlesex), Chris Tremlett (Hampshire)

South Africa:

Graeme Smith (capt), Ashwell Prince, Hashim Amla, Mark Boucher (wkt), AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Paul Harris, Jacques Kallis, Neil McKenzie, Morne Morkel, Andre Nel, Makhaya Ntini, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Monde Zondeki.

Fixtures:

June 2008

Sun 29 - Tue 1
Somerset v South Africans

July 2008

Fri 4 - Sun 6
Middlesex v South Africans

Thu 10 - Mon 14
1st Test - England v South Africa
Lord's

Fri 18 - Tue 22
2nd Test - England v South Africa
Headingley

Fri 25 - Sun 27
Bangladesh A v South Africans

Wed 30 - Sun 3
3rd Test - England v South Africa
Edgbaston

August 2008

Thu 7 - Mon 11
4th Test - England v South Africa
Kennington Oval

Wed 13
PCA Masters XI v South Africans

Thu 14
England Lions v South Africans

Sat 16
England Lions v South Africans

Wed 20
Only Twenty20 International - England v South Africa
Riverside Ground,

Fri 22 Floodlit Match
1st ODI - England v South Africa
Headingley

Tue 26 Floodlit Match
2nd ODI - England v South Africa
Trent Bridge

Fri 29
3rd ODI - England v South Africa
Kennington Oval

Sun 31
4th ODI - England v South Africa
Lord's

September 2008

Wed 3 Floodlit Match
5th ODI - England v South Africa
Sophia Gardens

Re: South Africa In England

First match about to start - SA won toss and put England in to bat. I'm looking forward to seeing how the vaunted SA pace attack performs.

Added 3 hour(s), 38 minute(s) and 5 second(s) later...

Crappit! I left the computer for an hour and when I came back the TMS player has changed (looks wise) and I can no longer connect!!

No more test cricket for me for the rest of the day :*(

Re: South Africa tour England

England have done well. Certainly better than what South Africa would have expected when they elected to bowl first.

wolf;27223 said:
Ah, there is nothing like a good old traditional English collapse.

Nice and dramatic alright! Good to get Pietersen to the the crease though - I've been looking forward to this showdown too. According to cricinfo Morkel tried to take his head off first ball he bowled to him :D

Incidentally, is anyone listening to tms online? I'm starting to think that the problem is with my computer :(

What is everyones prefered way to keep up with the cricket score while inhibitted by work?

I persoanlly go for BBC. However I did used to flick between Sky Sports, Guardian and BBC but found it far to dificult. Never tried CricInfo.

TMS (test match special) is the BBC commentary - it's very good. As I said though - can't tune into it at the moment X(

Cricinfo is a ball by ball text commentary, it's alright, but I find it hard to keep track of, given that I'm supposed to be working. ;)

The BBC is what I use at school, but not with the sound just the ball by ball stuff.

England had a great first day and the fact we didn't lose any wickets in the last session puts us in a good position for tomorrow. I suppose we can't really judge it until we see the England attack have a go.

Used to have to watch the cricket when at work, this was back in the day when it was on BBC1/Channel 4 mind.

Nowadays, I use a mix of the BBC or Cricinfo. Or, work from home and watch it, which is the preferred choice.

Great ton by KP and good support from Bell. First session will be crucial on the morning. South Africa will want to impose themselves and fire England out for under 375/400, England will want to get through it with wickets in hand to chase 500.

I think England are on course for 500. They would have to play awfully if they get bowled out for 400 - then again, they are capable of that. :p

More than capable. The pitch should be dryer tomorrow and a little quicker, which will suit the likes of Steyn and Morkel.

Tomorow morning,first session...Steyn runs in to bowl and get 6 wickets!!
and next over Ntini gets the last one...thats how england will crumble in the space of
6 balls:)

Get someone run out backing up (e.g before you bowl), it won't count as a ball!

Shame for you it hasn't happened though, Pietersen 151, Bell 106, partnership of 280.

150 for Pietersen and 100 for Bell with the partnership nearing 300..
South Africa dont look like making a breakthrough anytime soon

Jack;27323 said:
150 for Pietersen and 100 for Bell with the partnership nearing 300..
South Africa dont look like making a breakthrough anytime soon

Pffft ....
you sealed Pietersens doom making a comment like that :rolleyes:

Back