South Division 10/11

re: South Division 10/11

parkcricket;387940 said:
Its by far the worst cricket square in the comp, its littered with weeds, not one blade of ryegrass or couch anywhere, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was an ordinary deck.

Would be interesting to see what would happen if they ever made it to Senior Division... Can the VTCA impose a change of ground on a club if it is clearly not up to the required standard?

parkcricket;387940 said:
Its by far the worst cricket square in the comp, its littered with weeds, not one blade of ryegrass or couch anywhere, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was an ordinary deck.
It used to be one of the fairest pitches in the VJCA, till some clown decided to dig it up and relay it.

Vicious and Well Directed;387949 said:
Would be interesting to see what would happen if they ever made it to Senior Division... Can the VTCA impose a change of ground on a club if it is clearly not up to the required standard?

Wonder what the likes of Yarraville will think playing in an environment more akin to a Sth C3 fixture.... You've got the "ladies" playing alongside you with an adjoining boundary line and a 30m odd hike from the rooms just to get onto the field

Just reading a few posts about relegation etc, looks very likely that 2 nth sides will drop from Senior Div back into Nth Div, leaving those two spots to be taken up by the Nth & Sth Premiers, then how will South Div make up two spots because there wont be a sth team dropping down from Sen Div, will they promote two sides from South A and relegate 1 side or will Hampton keep there spot, assuming that they are the team that faces relegation.

parkcricket;387991 said:
Just reading a few posts about relegation etc, looks very likely that 2 nth sides will drop from Senior Div back into Nth Div, leaving those two spots to be taken up by the Nth & Sth Premiers, then how will South Div make up two spots because there wont be a sth team dropping down from Sen Div, will they promote two sides from South A and relegate 1 side or will Hampton keep there spot, assuming that they are the team that faces relegation.

Great post parkcricket. I think with the strength of South Division this year that the two top sides should go up into Senior Division which would leave 24sides remaining in the South divisions. You could then split the 24 teams into South Division and South A. 12 teams in a division is much better than 10 or less. This would obviously spell the end of South B.

parkcricket;387991 said:

Aren't there are teams in the 'switch zone' - Royal Park, Youlden, MHSOB, Ajax etc?

You could almost throw in Spotswood and Seddon into the 'switch zone' as well. Just the other side of the bridge and only a drop kick away from Port Melbourne which is a South side anyway.

I remember a few seasons back there was too many North sides in the lower divisions so Spotswood came across and fielded a side in South C1 AND C2.
Im sure this could be done again if South / North wasn't evenly based!

pdog pizza's;388026 said:
You could almost throw in Spotswood and Seddon into the 'switch zone' as well. Just the other side of the bridge and only a drop kick away from Port Melbourne which is a South side anyway.

I remember a few seasons back there was too many North sides in the lower divisions so Spotswood came across and fielded a side in South C1 AND C2.
Im sure this could be done again if South / North wasn't evenly based!

And MHSOB has played in the North division back in the mid 90's.

parkcricket;387991 said:

Hampton - nice win... final next week against the jaccabags!!

2 Senior Div sides go to Nth Div, which means they will relegate 2 Nth sides and only 1 south side to keep the nth div even.

Qball;388316 said:
Hampton - nice win... final next week against the jaccabags!!

2 Senior Div sides go to Nth Div, which means they will relegate 2 Nth sides and only 1 south side to keep the nth div even.

it was a nice win by the hammers qball, would of love to have been there to see it but this stubborn prick of a kid of mine has still not come out to say hi.

i wonder how long until the excuses are posted on here.........dodgy pitch prepared........cockbain and hewitt poor decisions..........beauy were undermanned etc etc. i doubt it wont take long.

i know this is the SOUTH DIV board, but Sth Caulfield vs RPB an absolute cracker of a game yesterday. credit to both teams, sth Caul had rpb in all sorts of early trouble before adam contessa was dropped first ball then nearly led his side to victory.

Kev Davis;388331 said:
it was a nice win by the hammers qball, would of love to have been there to see it but this stubborn prick of a kid of mine has still not come out to say hi.

i wonder how long until the excuses are posted on here.........dodgy pitch prepared........cockbain and hewitt poor decisions..........beauy were undermanned etc etc. i doubt it wont take long.

i know this is the SOUTH DIV board, but Sth Caulfield vs RPB an absolute cracker of a game yesterday. credit to both teams, sth Caul had rpb in all sorts of early trouble before adam contessa was dropped first ball then nearly led his side to victory.

none of the ablove i believe.. outplayed by reports... Beauy would be pissed!

Vicious and Well Directed;388002 said:
Aren't there are teams in the 'switch zone' - Royal Park, Youlden, MHSOB, Ajax etc?

both youlden and RPB could play north or south based on their central location. AN, CYMS and Spotty (other teams in senior facing relegation) would logically be nth teams. Youlden cannot avoid relegation this yr so problem is solved for now

Match of the round down at Dendy Park and it should come down to the wire. Will 210 be enough? I think Brighton's strong batting lineup will be too good against MHSOB's attack and the result will lock in fourth position for Brighton who are a smokey for the flag. Stacy Brown has been a great pickup for them.

with the 'washout' at Melb High I got to c most of the 1's... fantastic game of cricket that MHSOB were in front of all day but the depth of BDCC told in the end. MHSOB caught well & bowled ok, although they didn't hit a damp patch enough... BDCC batted slowley but safely needing 75 off the last 15. They looked to b on top but MH kept bobbing up with the crucial wicket, with 11 needed off 15 balls 9 down MHSOB were faves but the experience off Hill & the talent of Gara with the bat got us home.. great win especially without Stewart & Manning.

In a well structured comp a team 7/3 would b in when 5th is 5/5 with 1 game to play but not in the great VTCA... yet another floor in the great bonus points system is that if u get rained off u not only lose your win points but the opportunity to score valuable bonus points.. how u let this system continue each year is beyond me...

Top 4 seem a class above the rest although picking up Phillips & to a lesser extent Perry has taken chelsea to a new level. while the recruits of Beauy & bentleigh r clearly the stars of the grade BDCC look the deepest team to me.. The semi's should b great, we may c BDCC v Bentleigh 2 games in a row...

bad luck Park cricket, hope it hurt to c the scores...

have played againt Hampton, Beauy & chelt recently & wanted to say what a good bunch of blokes all 3 teams r.. pleasure to play against!

Beauy look a class above in Sth 2's,not sure why Humphrey was in the 1's this wk but assuming he is back to lead them I reckon Beauy r the 1's for the 2's flag.

Vicious and Well Directed;387949 said:

430 runs on the much maligned dendy park pitch the last 2 games, it's much improved, a credit to our new curator, still needs work to get more pace in it.. outfield is lush & even, boundaries r permanently marked, arvo tea is of a good quality!
dendy is no palace but it's unique & great place to play because of the 5 grounds side by side. It's great to c your clubmates playing along side u .The fact other teams r not comfortable playing there is a bonus... If BDCC win the flag we go up like any other club.... would love to face YCCC at dendy!

Qball;388365 said:
none of the ablove i believe.. outplayed by reports... Beauy would be pissed!

Hampton got it together from all reports and finally delivered on some promise... You can't take any team lightly in this comp and whether Beauy did or not, its in all likelihood cost them top spot.

Battle to avoid relegation not over yet. If the HCC boys get over the top of Ajax, it will be tight to see who goes down.

A quick look at the ladder Southern Son would seem the Ajax v Hampton game would be a simple shoot out. winner stays up.unless you get specific and look into reverse outrights!

underarm bowler;388465 said:
A quick look at the ladder Southern Son would seem the Ajax v Hampton game would be a simple shoot out. winner stays up.unless you get specific and look into reverse outrights!

You're right Underarm... A closer look at the ladder and you'll see that Hampton only has to have an average win to make up the 4.51 point deficit and retain their position in South Div.

Match of the round in my book, if only for the implications it has on the make-up of the Div next season.

bonus points must go;388394 said:
Match of the round down at Dendy Park and it should come down to the wire. Will 210 be enough? I think Brighton's strong batting lineup will be too good against MHSOB's attack and the result will lock in fourth position for Brighton who are a smokey for the flag. Stacy Brown has been a great pickup for them.

with the 'washout' at Melb High I got to c most of the 1's... fantastic game of cricket that MHSOB were in front of all day but the depth of BDCC told in the end. MHSOB caught well & bowled ok, although they didn't hit a damp patch enough... BDCC batted slowley but safely needing 75 off the last 15. They looked to b on top but MH kept bobbing up with the crucial wicket, with 11 needed off 15 balls 9 down MHSOB were faves but the experience off Hill & the talent of Gara with the bat got us home.. great win especially without Stewart & Manning.

In a well structured comp a team 7/3 would b in when 5th is 5/5 with 1 game to play but not in the great VTCA... yet another floor in the great bonus points system is that if u get rained off u not only lose your win points but the opportunity to score valuable bonus points.. how u let this system continue each year is beyond me...
Top 4 seem a class above the rest although picking up Phillips & to a lesser extent Perry has taken chelsea to a new level. while the recruits of Beauy & bentleigh r clearly the stars of the grade BDCC look the deepest team to me.. The semi's should b great, we may c BDCC v Bentleigh 2 games in a row...

bad luck Park cricket, hope it hurt to c the scores...

have played againt Hampton, Beauy & chelt recently & wanted to say what a good bunch of blokes all 3 teams r.. pleasure to play against!

Beauy look a class above in Sth 2's,not sure why Humphrey was in the 1's this wk but assuming he is back to lead them I reckon Beauy r the 1's for the 2's flag.

The bonus points systems is one of the worst things going for this comp. Its one of the reasons you see all these BS outright results in the last round too (why they can't schedule a 1-dayer in the last round is also beyond me)... Take the start of the season for example. How many times to you see sides get off to a flyer, because they win in a round when only 2-3 games get on because it's 'turn up to grounds'. Not only do they get a result but also the 2-4 points that comes with having a win. That's a 8-10 point lead before the majority of sides get to play, and as we all know, it's games won before xmas that decide the 4.

A combination of poor weather and delayed council works means the other sides who can't wicket up get to miss out on these valuable points.

Why not an average of the % runs for/against & % wickets lost/taken?

Southern Son;388471 said:
The bonus points systems is one of the worst things going for this comp. Its one of the reasons you see all these BS outright results in the last round too (why they can't schedule a 1-dayer in the last round is also beyond me)... Take the start of the season for example. How many times to you see sides get off to a flyer, because they win in a round when only 2-3 games get on because it's 'turn up to grounds'. Not only do they get a result but also the 2-4 points that comes with having a win. That's a 8-10 point lead before the majority of sides get to play, and as we all know, it's games won before xmas that decide the 4.

A combination of poor weather and delayed council works means the other sides who can't wicket up get to miss out on these valuable points.

Why not an average of the % runs for/against & % wickets lost/taken?

Bonus points also assist teams that play on high scoring grounds. Take Woodfull-Miller, were 280-300 is a par score, in comparison to Boss Reserve where you are happy with over 150-180. Say it's an extra 1.2 points a game and it adds up to an extra win over the length of a season. Fairly handy home ground advantage.

Vicious and Well Directed;388477 said:
Bonus points also assist teams that play on high scoring grounds. Take Woodfull-Miller, were 280-300 is a par score, in comparison to Boss Reserve where you are happy with over 150-180. Say it's an extra 1.2 points a game and it adds up to an extra win over the length of a season. Fairly handy home ground advantage.

Agreed Vicious... Don't know how you can take home ground advantage out of it... Obviously pays to have a postage stamp over a 'MCG-like' ground.

Back