South Division 10/11

re: South Division 10/11

So what's the wash up after Round 5.

Chelsea would be disappointed with losing to Murrumbeena. Great effort form the Beenas to bounce back from an outright defeat to notch a win.

As I sort of suspected, MHSOB weren't without a chance of chasing down Cheltenhams 276. Must of been a classic finish, and a great effort to get the runs with Steve Villani only getting 4.

Good win for Brighton against Ajax. Class prevailed in the end with match winning performances from Lasky and Stewart getting them over the line.

Port had a comfortable win over Hampton. What was the go with Daykin, didn't bat or bowl.

I had my doubts about Bentleigh before Saturday. They were winning well, but against "weaker" opposition. It was a great win by them. The scores look like it was a pretty high standard match that was in the balance right up until late in the game. Roach and Street continue their good form.

Looks like 5 teams are ahead of the rest. Obviously Bentleigh, Beaumaris and Port look safe in the top 4, with MHSOB and Brighton trying to sneak into that 4th spot.

On exposed form, can't see Chelsea, Murrumbeena or Hampton challenging, and Cheltenham and Ajax aren't without a chance, but will have to do alot right between now and the end of the season.

Northern $uper$tars;379358 said:
As I sort of suspected, MHSOB weren't without a chance of chasing down Cheltenhams 276. Must of been a classic finish, and a great effort to get the runs with Steve Villani only getting 4.

The difference was Chelt bowling 38 extras to MHSOB's 3. About 24 or so of those were wides and no balls so MHSOB had an extra 4 overs to get the runs, plus the extra over last week that Chelt didnt bat.

Will be a good effort to make the top four now.

superfreak;379388 said:
The difference was Chelt bowling 38 extras to MHSOB's 3. About 24 or so of those were wides and no balls so MHSOB had an extra 4 overs to get the runs, plus the extra over last week that Chelt didnt bat.

Will be a good effort to make the top four now.

Impressive given the best 2 bats made 9 between them, would be fairly reliant at least one Cassell and one Villani getting a score each. MHSOB and Ajax have to be the surprises of the year, or the non-performance of Lamb and Murrembeena.

Bentleigh have to be clear favourites now, solid batting order, the best opening bowling combination in the comp (although Hewitt-Harrison is fairly handy), and a quality spinner.

4th spot is wide open, but Brighton would have to rate themselves as the most likely to claim it. Chelt seem like a fairly even side and might come home strongly the other side of Christmas.

Docksey needs to lose the zimmerframe and come off the long run for them to avoid South A.

Vicious and Well Directed;379393 said:
Chelt seem like a fairly even side and might come home strongly the other side of Christmas.

The possible addition of Cheetham after Xmas may be very well timed. Need to start putting some wins together though.

Unfortunately for Cheltenham, they were missing key opening batsman D.Anderson which could have had something to do with the loss on the weekend :p

20/20 Cricket is comming to kinglake December 13th to raise money for the surrounding bushfire effected areas as advertised on ABC and SEN radio.teams participating will be kinglake, marysville, flowerdale, strathuwen and yarra glen.Day starts at 830 until 6 with lots of entertainment, music and give aways, signed cricket gear from the Australian test side and a chance to win a meet and great session with the australian players after there morning warm up session on boxing day.bacon and egg rolls in the morning to BBQ at lunch with full open bar!looking to get a massive crowd with special guest apperances.
Come up for the Day to Support and Enjoy some Country 20/20 Cricket.

Northern $uper$tars;379358 said:
So what's the wash up after Round 5.

Port had a comfortable win over Hampton. What was the go with Daykin, didn't bat or bowl.

Daykin has a sore back and was only going to bat if needed, chasing 111 and Khawaja smashing 36 in 8 overs, he wasn't needed. Did it easily without their skipper Reece Jones and Suttcliffe with two Pakistani blokes who couldn't bat but we could get them out. Big challenge against Street, Roach and co this week. Kev will be back and keen to get some big scalps after his 8 for.

gib;379863 said:
Daykin has a sore back and was only going to bat if needed, chasing 111 and Khawaja smashing 36 in 8 overs, he wasn't needed. Did it easily without their skipper Reece Jones and Suttcliffe with two Pakistani blokes who couldn't bat but we could get them out. Big challenge against Street, Roach and co this week. Kev will be back and keen to get some big scalps after his 8 for.

Gib I hear Khawaja was caught behind in the second over... not given out? Could have made a difference?

gib;379863 said:

Fair to say Bentleigh have some quality players in there side, lets see how big Kev goes, how is that Hampton deck going, played on it last year and it was terrible, wouldnt want to produce an ordinary one for these guys??

parkcricket;379992 said:
Fair to say Bentleigh have some quality players in there side, lets see how big Kev goes, how is that Hampton deck going, played on it last year and it was terrible, wouldnt want to produce an ordinary one for these guys??

I have been past and seen it today... it is a belter!! clearly some work has gone into that ground... i remember last year it was shocking!

Impressive given the best 2 bats made 9 between them, would be fairly reliant at least one Cassell and one Villani getting a score each. MHSOB and Ajax have to be the surprises of the year, or the non-performance of Lamb and Murrembeena.

Good to see your team is doing well - what has happened to the big opening bowler? Didnt know players could get by with batting 11 and only bowling 3 overs a game!

parkcricket;379992 said:

pretty poor day from myself really!

Bentleigh have to be clear favourites now, solid batting order, the best opening bowling combination in the comp (although Hewitt-Harrison is fairly handy), and a quality spinner.

4th spot is wide open, but Brighton would have to rate themselves as the most likely to claim it. Chelt seem like a fairly even side and might come home strongly the other side of Christmas.

Docksey needs to lose the zimmerframe and come off the long run for them to avoid South A.

Well a ton each yesterday did them no harm!... The Old Boys certainly brought Beauy's bowling attack to heel - 7/330 odd is a fair day out!

Port obviously went out with some intent against the Beena. Racking up 230 in 40 overs and having Lamb and co all out for 80, they should get the outright points next week.

Gee, I reckon Bentleigh are a bit light on when you take Roach and Street out of their batting line-up. Hampton unlucky to be chasing over 200.

Beauy will chase that down that total i reckon. The Beauy guys have one of the best decks in the league now and one of the fastest outfields also, really giving batsmen value for their shots. Is going to be a tough chase but I'm going to back them.

Kev Davis;380363 said:
pretty poor day from myself really!

5/79 from 25 overs is a fair day out in my book Kev, especially against a quality side like Bentleigh. still interesting to see that Docksey didnt bowl, what is going on, surely must be injured...

Southern Son;380368 said:
Well a ton each yesterday did them no harm!... The Old Boys certainly brought Beauy's bowling attack to heel - 7/330 odd is a fair day out!

Port obviously went out with some intent against the Beena. Racking up 230 in 40 overs and having Lamb and co all out for 80, they should get the outright points next week.

Gee, I reckon Bentleigh are a bit light on when you take Roach and Street out of their batting line-up. Hampton unlucky to be chasing over 200.

You can clearly see that roach and street had played at a much higher level, by far better bats than the merry gang of overpaid at YCCC, much better blokes too!

SS i think we're lucky to only be chasing 240odd, it was a 300+ run deck on saturday.

parkcricket;380388 said:
5/79 from 25 overs is a fair day out in my book Kev, especially against a quality side like Bentleigh. still interesting to see that Docksey didnt bowl, what is going on, surely must be injured...

unfortunately for hampton, centerlink told docksey if he bowled they'd suspend his disability pension!!!!! the fella is getting on in age and the body doesnt quite handle bowling anymore so he says

Southern Son;380368 said:

Not sure why you consider Hampton to be unlucky Southern? Like a few of the South clubs, Bentleigh have recruited well and like Kev says, these guys continue to show why they played at the levels they did - much as Hewitt also continues to do. I don't think Hampton let any chances slip with these two, so again, can't understand your comment about Hampton being unlucky.

While I agree that Roach and Street have clearly made a huge difference to the make up of Bentleigh's 1st XI, I don't agree that they are light on without them. Perhaps they may not be in the position they are in ladder wise, but I would have still put them in the mix had they not recruited these guys - same as Beauie had they not got Hewitt.

Kev, I also heard that the outfield was pretty slow and 247 could be considered 300+ - true? And it's true what you say about Street and Roach being much better blokes too!

Back