South Division 10/11

re: South Division 10/11

Southern Son;371222 said:
Weather looking much better this week...

Beauy must be spewing they couldn't have a crack at Ajax over 2 days. Good chance for an outright missed. Port v Bentleigh will be a good one, plus Hampton will have the chance to set themselves up in the 4 early on. Think Chelt v Brighton will be a tight tussle.

Anyone prepared to put their tips out there?

Beauy are a decent side, Cockbain great name great player great bloke, Hewett to carry the bowlers.

Ajax will be lucky to win a game and will get outrighted this week by the one man show.

Chelsea cant bat to save themselves.

Low scores all round is it just me or the has the art of sloggin gone?

Speaking of outrights, anyone else notice that Chelsea has got their results as reading Won Outright and on 1st Innings, when in fact they did not (according to their scorecard). What makes it worse is that someone from Hampton has agreed with the result and has confirmed it!!!

No doubt the VT are on it. Can't be getting bonus points for nothing - unless I am missing something????

Asides from Ajax, this a looking like a pretty even comp. Port Melbourne and Beauy are undefeated but have both played one team each that was tipped for relagation pre-season. Port have still gone for almost 5 an over in both games, surely their bowling has to be an issue if Daykin fails with the bat (obviously hasn't happen too often in the past though).

Southern Son;372229 said:
Why would a turf club, with Snr Div aspirations, have their 2nd XI playing the carpet crap in CMCA?...
I would have to agree with that SS. They would be better off playing in one or the other as this isn't good enough for our comp. Maybe the new regime at VTCA headquarters can act on this.

southern sledge;372259 said:
I would have to agree with that SS. They would be better off playing in one or the other as this isn't good enough for our comp. Maybe the new regime at VTCA headquarters can act on this.

SS - who wouldnt want to play next to the `ladies` and dodge all the dog Sh#t for 80 overs at Dendy Park?

Parkdalegun;372227 said:
Beauy are a decent side, Cockbain great name great player great bloke, Hewett to carry the bowlers.

Ajax will be lucky to win a game and will get outrighted this week by the one man show.

Chelsea cant bat to save themselves.

Low scores all round is it just me or the has the art of sloggin gone?

Mate, Chelsea 1's have what look to be some handy bats, If they can be patient like they were in the first 25overs against us on saturday they will be very competitive against anyone. don't write them off according to the round1 results.

South div will be very close this year, mark my words

Qball;372302 said:
SS - who wouldnt want to play next to the `ladies` and dodge all the dog Sh#t for 80 overs at Dendy Park?
would u possibly be a disgruntled cheltenham member qball

southern sledge;372259 said:

The BDCC south 2's result was not good enough, I'm still unsure how we fell twice so quickly... Chelt bowled well & moved the ball in the air but the pitch was very good.
We were not good enough against a good side, but u should never get beaten outright in a 1 dayer...It was a terrible day for me, the team & the club..

Who do u think u r sledge? Our 1's & 4's played VTCA finals last yr, when graded correctly we r a strong club. BDCC r a merged club and want to respect both former club and the comps they play in. Dendy park has both synth & turf wickets & our club plays on both. To do this we need the comps to work with us. The CMCA has listened to our grading requests and we r competitive, however we r playing out of grade in both South 2's & C1. Somehow Hampton has it's 3's in C2 while our 4's were pushed up to play in C1.

If the VTCA grade us with an understanding of our CMCA ties then we will be a great club & an asset to both comps..

Southern Son;372229 said:
Why would a turf club, with Snr Div aspirations, have their 2nd XI playing the carpet crap in CMCA?...

U pretenders who think park turf cricket is better than synth r kidding yourselves. The CMCA is a very important comp in the south, have a look at the CMCA board to c how people speak to each other to understand that the comp is a part of community. Synth cricket is a fair test of skill, the conditions r the same both weeks and clubs don't face the ongoing challenge of preparing good quality turf wickets. This is even more noticeable the lower the turf grades as the pitch quality varies. The best CMCA side of the last decade ESBC would be a competitve team in Senior grade. Cricket is at it's best on good turf but Synth does a good job of providing an even test of teams. U also get to play unless it rains on Saturday! I love playing turf but issues like playing on past the result and 65 overs v 80 make Synth a very practical option for park cricketers like me & u! Get off your high horse, u r not Don Bradman!

It was your clubs decision to merge, Brighton East was a well respected club on its own in the VTCA as such the balls in your court. Play in a turf comp or play on carpet, don't blame anyone else for that backward choice.

bonus points must go;372550 said:
U pretenders who think park turf cricket is better than synth r kidding yourselves. The CMCA is a very important comp in the south, have a look at the CMCA board to c how people speak to each other to understand that the comp is a part of community. Synth cricket is a fair test of skill, the conditions r the same both weeks and clubs don't face the ongoing challenge of preparing good quality turf wickets. This is even more noticeable the lower the turf grades as the pitch quality varies. The best CMCA side of the last decade ESBC would be a competitve team in Senior grade. Cricket is at it's best on good turf but Synth does a good job of providing an even test of teams. U also get to play unless it rains on Saturday! I love playing turf but issues like playing on past the result and 65 overs v 80 make Synth a very practical option for park cricketers like me & u! Get off your high horse, u r not Don Bradman!
How would you know how East Sandy would go on turf, you wouldn't and lets be honest the real strength of the CMCA is the junior comp.

bones89;372513 said:
would u possibly be a disgruntled cheltenham member qball

99% sure Qball isnt from Cheltenham bones. However his statement is on the money. Lets be honest, that wicket is the biggest disgrace in the VTCA. The team that wins the toss in a one dayer there, wins the game. Apparantly once again, after tea, not one ball got above stump high. Something needs to be done about it, I'm sure Brighton aren't happy about the situation either.

I played in the two's debacle. Brighton had a fairly young side and had two or three young kids who will turn out to be decent cricketers. The wicket was a belter. Most bizarre day of cricket i have ever experienced.

bonus points must go;372549 said:
The BDCC south 2's result was not good enough, I'm still unsure how we fell twice so quickly... Chelt bowled well & moved the ball in the air but the pitch was very good.
We were not good enough against a good side, but u should never get beaten outright in a 1 dayer...It was a terrible day for me, the team & the club..

Who do u think u r sledge? Our 1's & 4's played VTCA finals last yr, when graded correctly we r a strong club. BDCC r a merged club and want to respect both former club and the comps they play in. Dendy park has both synth & turf wickets & our club plays on both. To do this we need the comps to work with us. The CMCA has listened to our grading requests and we r competitive, however we r playing out of grade in both South 2's & C1. Somehow Hampton has it's 3's in C2 while our 4's were pushed up to play in C1. If the VTCA grade us with an understanding of our CMCA ties then we will be a great club & an asset to both comps..

A fundamental at any club and in any comp is that the 2nd XI should be seen as the breeding ground for the 1st XI. You should be fielding the strongest possible line-up in the 2's, with the view that those blokes can step-up to the 1's when required. Thus your 'true' 2nd XI should be taking the field in the Sth 2nd's.

If you play in Sth Division, your 2's HAVE to play in Sth 2nd's - its a "mirrored" fixture, which I back the VTCA on. They simply can't re-grade your 2's lower

You blokes need to decide what type of cricket club you want to be. Can't see how you can have one foot in the VT and the other in the CMCA like that between your top two XI's.

I understand the post about mats cricket and the poster has a good few points. I can however not agree that East Sandy would be a senior division club, possibly South Senior. I watched them play the other week when VTCA were off and even though it was a one off they looked solid but at 8-150 against just a steady attack i think They'd struggle against a seaming turf pitch.

bonus points must go;372550 said:

Hardly getting on my high horse... Would love to see ESBC go up against Yarraville. They would get flogged every time.

You could mount an arguement that synth provides an even playing field for both sides, but turf cricket provides a much bigger test of skill... Have seen plenty of very good CMCA cricketers - the 'big fish in small pond' types - who've tried and failed on turf.

It's most notable with batsmen, who look lost when they just can't stay on the back foot all the time, looking for the ball to bounce the same height every delivery.

Southern Son;372611 said:
Hardly getting on my high horse... Would love to see ESBC go up against Yarraville. They would get flogged every time.

You could mount an arguement that synth provides an even playing field for both sides, but turf cricket provides a much bigger test of skill... Have seen plenty of very good CMCA cricketers - the 'big fish in small pond' types - who've tried and failed on turf.

It's most notable with batsmen, who look lost when they just can't stay on the back foot all the time, looking for the ball to bounce the same height every delivery.

At the highest level good turf plays like synth except for the wear factor late in the game. There is no real wear on a wicket used once a week so really a good VTCA turf wicket is like a synth wicket isn't it?

I do agree that the variations in pitches, e.g bounce & turn require batsmen to modify their game, a challenge synth does not have that is why turf is the ultimate.

Th majority of pitches in the south seem lower (altho Chelt was a beauty) favouring guys who lurch onto the front foot..

There r a number of players from synth who have made it on turf most recently Stacy Brown who has moved from a life of synth & played dist 1's within 15 games (sorry Bones)

all good players watch the ball so will adjust to the variation in bounce but again good turf doesn't have that much variation.

for park cricket the benfits of synth I outlined earlier make it at least the equal of park grade turf cricket.

Southern Son;372607 said:
A fundamental at any club and in any comp is that the 2nd XI should be seen as the breeding ground for the 1st XI. You should be fielding the strongest possible line-up in the 2's, with the view that those blokes can step-up to the 1's when required. Thus your 'true' 2nd XI should be taking the field in the Sth 2nd's.

If you play in Sth Division, your 2's HAVE to play in Sth 2nd's - its a "mirrored" fixture, which I back the VTCA on. They simply can't re-grade your 2's lower

You blokes need to decide what type of cricket club you want to be. Can't see how you can have one foot in the VT and the other in the CMCA like that between your top two XI's.

It hasn't been done b4 but can work if the comps want it to. We could swap with a strong south A club and then we will face weaker clubs. A bye would not b the end of the world in sth 2's...
The farce of our 4's playing in C1 while 4 clubs have their 3's in C2 is where real questions should b asked.

In the event that there is play this week (surely Day 1 wouldn't be cancelled for a third round in a row), here are some completely uninformed opinions.

Port will beat Ajax outright before tea on Day 2.
Hampton to get up purely on the basis of homeground advantage in a close one.
Old Boys over Bentleigh in another close one, could go either way
Beauey to continue their good start
Brighton which will put Murrembeena is massive trouble.

Back