Specific rehab following knee surgery...

Snicko

Specific rehab following knee surgery...

Hi guys,

I will be going under the knife next Monday for knee surgery (torn medial meniscus and strained ACL...slipped in nets whilst advancing down the wicket).

According to the doctor, I will be walking without crutches after a maximum of two weeks before starting rehabilitation work (this will be nothing special though). I have two months out of wicketkeeping though, which is my main issue.

In order to get ready for the new season, I already need to trim down first of all and rebuild muscle, because I have effectively been inactive for over two months.

Anyone have any tips for specific exercises for a wicketkeeper in this situation, I want to hit the ground running next season.

Thanks in advance for any tips
Mark

Re: Specific rehab following knee surgery...

Are you in Australia? If so you're going to have to wait about another 11 or 12 hours before you get a reply from Liz Ward tomorrow morning when she spots this. Either way wherever you are Liz is usually on the forum early morning GMT

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear about the op but consolation [if any], it is a straight forward procedure and has great success stats.

1st things 1st... start now by changing your diet, cut out sugar, cut down on your carbs, increase fruit and veg, drink plenty of good green tea and eat lots of good protein. :D

You should carry on with upper body work and there is a lot you can do with respect to core with one leg.

If you need more specific details, get back to me but if you are mainly interested in post op rehab, come back on site after the op so we can see how it went, how you feel and how we can progress.

In the meantime, have a look at these threads if ever you are bored:

http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t57601/
http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t58403/
http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t57579-12/

Some useful threads there, thanks a lot.

I am also optimistic that the surgery will go without a hitch :)

Will let you know when I am off the crutches...in the meantime I am looking out for what I eat (amazing how "soft" you get when inactive) and will continue the upper body stuff and weights.

Cheers

Had the surgery yesterday, but things have most definitely not turned out as expected. After I came round the surgeon stopped by and said that my meniscus, ligament and cartilage were all completely OK...in fact I walked out of there without crutches.

I know I should be happy (and I am, as I know that life without a meniscus can become problematic when you hit old age), but at the moment I am feeling completely down. I wore a knee support for two months, couldnt walk some of the time and have MRT images with a white line through the meniscus. I guess I just don't see what other options there are.

Will be seeing the doctor again later this week, maybe even today if possible...will keep you updated.

Cheers
Mark

I suppose there is no possibility that the surgeon investigated the wrong knee? Sounds silly I know, but it does happen... rarely... thankfully.

Haha! No, the surgeon definitely went to work on the right knee (although the nurse who prepared me for surgery DID start shaving the wrong leg beforehand :))

Just got back from the surgeon. He said that the plika which was causing the knee locking was removed, but what was causing most concern was the ACL. Apparently I had damaged it previously and it is now incredibly thin and weak (but not torn). I now have 10 weeks of strength training and physio and if that doesnt work then I will have to have surgery again (knee reconstruction).

Ah! Arthroscopy?

I take it the issue was on the inner side of the knee [medial plica]?

The symptoms of plica syndrome are very similar to meniscal tears and patellar tendonitis. Unfortunately, MRIs are not very helpful in diagnosis either. Your surgeon must have been quite sure that the plica was the cause of your problems [or at least, it must have been quite inflammed] or he would not have removed it. If this is the case, you should see good results.

Keep us informed of the rehab. I guess you'll be set some eccentric exercises. Keep them up, ACL reconstruction should be avoided ;)

Yep, all the problems are on the inside of my knee.
My first muscle training at physio is next Tuesday, followed by twice-weekly sessions for the next six weeks. I will also ask them for work I can do at home on the bike and my weights. In addition, I will be getting an electric muscle building thingy for a couple of months. I am determined to play next season, is an important one for both me and the team, though I realise that long term health must come first. I will be destroyed if we get to March and then its surgery time again...a conservative estimate would be 6-9 months out of action?

Oh, and I smiled when I heard that they took my plika out (AKA "The surgeons dream in privately insured patients")...though I trust my doctor completely of course...

You sound quite determined so I am sure you will get there without surgery; you need to be disciplined... don't overdue it though... you can be too determined :)

Hi guys,

Now almost a week since surgery, the swelling has gone down a lot with very little bruising. Will have the plasters changed tomorrow and the stitches out Tuesday, plus an ultrasound by the doctor.

Each day is a little bit different, up to Thursday I was OK, then on Thursday evening I went to IKEA with the kids (not running and jumping about mind, just sitting and drinking coffee) and couldnt walk afterwards...knee was stiff, swollen and painful to walk on. After painkillers, ice and sleep, Friday was again OK, but Saturday and today have brought more pain, this time about five seconds after I put weight on it...a creeping sharp pain on the inside of my knee. In addition to all this, the knee is VERY unstable, when I walk up and down stairs I feel like my kneecap is going to pop out, and just walking normally I often feel a pull.

Rehab starts on Tuesday morning, no idea what the plan is but will report back after that and the doctors report...

Cheers
Mark

The ultrasound should comfort you but things should get better when the rehab gets underway.

Look forward to the updates. In the meantime... keep smiling :)

OK, just back from the doctors.

Still not able to walk properly, instable and painful as before. The weight training this morning was a waste of time really, the only part they couldnt train was my legs.

Afterwards, the doctor looked at my knee through the ultrasound...there is an infection in there and I have to not do a lot, ice it and elevate it until it settles down (and take ibuprofen to aid the healing). The weight training has now been changed for physio, they are not even progressing with the actual rehab of the knee and leg muscles until the infection is gone and I can walk and bend the knee properly.

Next appointment in a week...

Oh and stitches out, which stung...but I can have a shower again! Yay!

oooh! Bitter sweet :(.

Wonder how they managed the infection?

Sorry to hear this Snicko; a bit of a set back but at least they know what the problem is and, hopefully, treating it. Not a lot they can do with an infection but hopefully the physio will work when it starts. Let us know how you get on.

Maybe "infection" was the wrong word...the cutting out of the plica sac inflamed the tissue, meaning that the knee got hot, swollen and stiff (after the IKEA trip) and the stitches started bleeding again. Doctor said it CAN happen in some cases, and of the cases that do, this was around the middle in terms of seriousness.

Thanks again for the help...
Mark

Out of curiosity, have you been, or are you now, using a compression bandage and were you given some mobilisation exercises after the op?

Wore compression stockings up to yesterday (sexy!) and tried a compression bandage over the weekend but the tightness just made everything worse (especially when it rubbed on the stitches). As for exercises, just exercise bike at very low resistance for ten minutes, the rest will probably come from physio on Friday...

If you intend to spend more time at <large furniture/iconic stores.. other brands/companies available :D>, it may be a good idea to try the compression bandage again.

Had my first bout of physio yesterday...nice girl who asked me every litle detail about the pain, movement, how it happened and so on. She then gave me four exercises to do at home:

1. Stretching out both legs, bringing the toes up towards my knees and trying to push your legs straight.

2. Bending opposite leg at the knee then raising the other leg from the ground to knee height and back down.

3. As 2, but with foot pointed outwards to 10 o clock

4. As 2, but with foot pointing inwards to 2 o clock and moving the leg outwards and to the side.

Don't know if 10 x 20 minutes will do me any good to be honest. Knee is stiff and painful again to boot. Will see doctor again on Tuesday and keep you up to date.

Not a lot they can do with you at the moment but do keep up the exercises, it is quite important to work the flexors and extensors and important to keep the knee mobilised. Things will start moving when you get the all clear from the doc.

Keep working the upper body though.

Look forward to the update.

Back