Speed - running

Jerseyguy

Speed - running

im pretty slow at running even more so when it is between the wickets

what if anything can i do to get faster? i work as a postie so get a lot of walking exercise but i just want to be a bit faster on the field

Re: Speed - running

How old are you mate? If you're working as a postie and talking in terms of wanting to run faster between the stumps I reckon you might be knocking on a bit - hence running don't come easy. Then if this is true you probably drink so you're probably over your BMI? What's the story?

Puppy%20Ladder.jpg

That's a ladder.

I think the exercise storm is talking about is running in between the gaps of the ladder as fast as you can.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxYFQ6wkWuE"]YouTube - Triathlon Training Programs : Ladder Exercise for Triathlon Training[/ame]

Ladders are great for agility; I would not necessarily use them for speed.

More often than not, lack of speed is usually down to running mechanics and this can be corrected extremely quickly but I would need to see a video of your running [side and front on] first. Working on your speed will get you nowhere if your mechanics are poor ;)

If you're up for it, these guys are mental but I highly recommend it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZajP6CKhPdM&NR=1"]YouTube - best speed training video[/ame]

Actually, I recommend it for all cricketers; there is so much here, including the rotator cuffs :D

Alternatively, you could ask your round to release the dogs when you're on duty :p :laugh:

I'm impressed... not many guys would get that :p

Incidentally, if your programme does not include plyometrics, you're seriously holding yourselves back ;)

someblokecalleddave;29730 said:
How old are you mate? If you're working as a postie and talking in terms of wanting to run faster between the stumps I reckon you might be knocking on a bit - hence running don't come easy. Then if this is true you probably drink so you're probably over your BMI? What's the story?

bit uncalled for. yeah im a postie but im not knocking on not really fat either my gut isnt overhanging my trousers

drink? sure i like a beer every now and then but im not a piss head and even if i was so waht

ive never been the quickets runner in the world just want to see if i can improive it, spuirred on by the olymipcis if you wish. stamina is fine but i just cant seem to get quicker

Added 53 second(s) later...

Liz Ward;29744 said:
Ladders are great for agility; I would not necessarily use them for speed.

More often than not, lack of speed is usually down to running mechanics and this can be corrected extremely quickly but I would need to see a video of your running [side and front on] first. Working on your speed will get you nowhere if your mechanics are poor ;)

If you're up for it, these guys are mental but I highly recommend it:

Actually, I recommend it for all cricketers; there is so much here, including the rotator cuffs :D

Alternatively, you could ask your round to release the dogs when you're on duty :p :laugh:

that is brillioant thanks for that

ive seen stuff about interval trainig, would that be any good?

Interval training is great, especially for sports such as cricket that require repeat short distance efforts. Being a postie, and being primarily conditioned for long walking stints, it's probably your best bet to get up and moving quickly.

He should be able to introduce some form on interval training into his working day. Fast walks/jogs/sprints etc between houses. Of course it'll depend on the weight of the post bag but could be an option.

I guess a good start would be to look at the kind of training that sprinters use? Though you may not be naturally quick Im sure you can improve on what you do have.

Jersey Guy,

i'm similar, i'm pretty quick over 10-15 yards being a wicket keeper but when fielding on the odd occassion i just feel like i cant run any quicker, i run at one pace! flat out or nothing!

squat... or lunge- or as they say, work towards developing some 'junk in the trunk' - i.e. a muscular rear end.

the single most under rated muscle group by men. also the most useful for power development, and back and hamstring health.

think i should apologise to somebloke, i got a bit defensive there

thanks again for all the feedback im working a few things into a small routine to see how it goes, looking at 15/20 mins a day at the moment

will report back on how it goes

It is worth remembering that the ability to accelerate is a vital component to learning how to run at top speed.

Sort of... more what happens after.

This is a really big subject so bear with me.

As you start off [as sprinters rise] you must thrust your lead arm up [left arm for right handers].

You need to then ensure triple extension, [ankle, knee, hip] on the drive leg [left again for right handers].

At this point you should be 45 degrees to the ground and you should be able to draw a straight line from your head through your hip down to your back heel.

Once launched, keep as upright as possible and lift your feet high [over the opposite knee], thrust down with the heel and keep the stride long.

Back