Stamina??

Hitterman

Stamina??

It may be a stupid question but i really need help. I am a Right-Arm Medium fast bowler but after 1-2 overs my Stamina goes down and i can't even Run properly. I am sure this is because of lack of Stamina.

Another thing, How can i increase my Bowling speed, its very slow.

Re: Stamina??

Your lack of stamina is most probably down to your training programme. How do you train for it?

Your bowling speed will be dictated by your technique. Is there any way of posting a video so we can have a look at any weak links in your bowling chain?

I'll echo what Liz has said. Early in the season I find that short spells are very tiring but as my fitness improves so does stamina. Remember the best way to train for cricket is to play cricket, so get out there and bowl some more.

Going out for jogs or runs can't do much apart from help your stamina which seems to be the root of all your problems, the way I look at it. Start with what you can do and build up the distance gradually and also try and play more and more cricket. Like Liz said, the best way would be to post a video for advice on improving your pace and such.

The thing is Jaz, think about what happens when you bowl. You're not out there for long periods of time, pace bowling is about an explosive movement, repeated 6 times in short duration, followed by a rest, then repeated.

Though running/jogging aid underlying fitness, the best way to get fit for bowling is to bowl or to mimic that action as closely as possible. If you wanted to be fit for say, a marathon, then you wouldn't go swimming for 2 hours a day.

Hitterman would be better off using interval training - something like 6 short duration sprints (slightly longer in length than his run up) followed by a rest period, then repeat.

mas cambios;268187 said:
The thing is Jaz, think about what happens when you bowl. You're not out there for long periods of time, pace bowling is about an explosive movement, repeated 6 times in short duration, followed by a rest, then repeated.

Though running/jogging aid underlying fitness, the best way to get fit for bowling is to bowl or to mimic that action as closely as possible. If you wanted to be fit for say, a marathon, then you wouldn't go swimming for 2 hours a day.

Hitterman would be better off using interval training - something like 6 short duration sprints (slightly longer in length than his run up) followed by a rest period, then repeat.

Over a long innings with a spell of lets say 5-7 overs or what have you, stamina will be needed. In the field, stamina will be needed. To be honest, I'd say he should go for a jog and get up his stamina to the best he can, but still be doing what you said. This way he'd be getting the best of both worlds and will be able to be more explosive in his overs and will be able to last longer spells.

Put simply, jogging will improve your cardiovascular endurance; good for health but not cricket. Hitterman requires muscular endurance.

As far as his CV is concerned, he needs to be increasing his anaerobic threshold, not endurance, to mimic the sport.

Although a game of cricket takes such a long time, the average cricketer spends most of their time not doing very much at all. However, when they are called into action it is, more often than not, explosively as in Hitterman's case or sprinting to bag that catch, sprinting to save that four, charging up the wicket, charging up again only to get half way up and having to perform a miraculous, momentum defying, 180 degree about turn to get back to safety!

The physiological demands of intermittent activity sports, such as cricket, are generally misunderstood. If you were to analyse your movements during the average game, you would see that there was very little 'endurance' work taking place, other than with your core and mental toughness.

Your lack of stamina is most probably down to your training programme. How do you train for it?

Your bowling speed will be dictated by your technique. Is there any way of posting a video so we can have a look at any weak links in your bowling chain?
I have started my training from last one week.

Actually my technique is complete arm rotation along with the Wrist Twist.

Going out for jogs or runs can't do much apart from help your stamina which seems to be the root of all your problems, the way I look at it. Start with what you can do and build up the distance gradually and also try and play more and more cricket. Like Liz said, the best way would be to post a video for advice on improving your pace and such.
If i'll do Jogging everyday will it improve my Bowling speed?

Although a game of cricket takes such a long time, the average cricketer spends most of their time not doing very much at all. However, when they are called into action it is, more often than not, explosively as in Hitterman's case or sprinting to bag that catch, sprinting to save that four, charging up the wicket, charging up again only to get half way up and having to perform a miraculous, momentum defying, 180 degree about turn to get back to safety

I stopped my training last year and i have recently started. I used to be Quick in field and a good all-wounder. I was also selectedfor District level.
Now i am dumb.
Just before i release the ball & when i tap my front foot on the ground it pains.:(
Last year this wasn't the case.

Hitterman;268230 said:
Actually my technique is complete arm rotation along with the Wrist Twist.

Sorry Hitterman, it doesn't really help me much. When I say "your technique", I mean biomechanics. I would need to see what the whole of your body, from toes to the apex of your bowling hand is doing to assess your problem.

Hitterman;268230 said:
If i'll do Jogging everyday will it improve my Bowling speed?

No. Just your CV.

Hitterman;268230 said:
Just before i release the ball & when i tap my front foot on the ground it pains.:(
Last year this wasn't the case.

What pains Hitterman?

Hitterman;268295 said:
No i am just 16 years old. Maybe by mistake.

Well you need to do high intensity training. Jogging will not get your pace up. Fartleks are awesome, but I doubt you could last more than 15 minutes. I can't. :p

I was going to say speed comes with age, but I don't think you will ever be a speedster. Just concentrate on landing it on a length 10 times out of 10 and getting swing and cut. Variations will get you plenty of wickets.

Jakester1288;268313 said:
Well you need to do high intensity training. Jogging will not get your pace up. Fartleks are awesome, but I doubt you could last more than 15 minutes. I can't. :p.

Fartlek training is often confused with intensity training and very hard to organise without a trainer/training partner. See:
Liz Ward;242890 said:
KF, you could make these sessions a lot more cricket specific by turning them into interval runs:

If you wish to do this on a treadmill, start with a warm up [say] 8 mins to slowly increase the intensity.
Once you reach 70-80% MHR, pace steady for 2 mins then increase the intensity to 80-90% MHR for 1 min. Bring the intensity down again to 70-80% MHR for 2 mins.
Repeat until you can increase no more then bring the intensity down slowly for [say] 8 mins.

If you can get out, the following was used by the 1994 England World Cup Cricket Squad:

4 mins jog;
3 mins steady run;
2 mins jog;
3 mins steady (to include 1 x 50m fast burst every 30 secs);
2 mins jog;
3 mins steady ( to include 1 x 20m sprint every 30 secs)'
2 mins jog;
2 mins fast;
4 mins jog.

The bursts of speed match the distance, intensities and duration associated with demands made during a cricket game; bowler run-up, running between wickets etc.

If you can get somebody to help you by mixing the combination around (like Dad ;)) this will make it a good Fartlek session.

You can read the whole threat at: http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t57530/

Also, http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t57544/ will help.

Jakester1288;268313 said:
I was going to say speed comes with age, but I don't think you will ever be a speedster. Just concentrate on landing it on a length 10 times out of 10 and getting swing and cut. Variations will get you plenty of wickets.

Actually, speed comes with biomechanical correction. I have not failed to increase the speed of a pace bowler yet, from 8 to 48 year olds ;) A true athlete never settles for what they have. We all have the potential to improve and most of us have the potential to improve immensely. :D

Hitterman, see if you can get hold of a copy of The Fast Bowlers Bible by Ian Pont.

Back