Stanford 20/20 for 20: Stanford Superstars vs England at Antigua

Robbo

Stanford 20/20 for 20: Stanford Superstars vs England at Antigua

Stanford 20/20 for 20 Stanford Superstars vs England​
Stanford Cricket Ground,Coolidge,Antigua​
Sunday November 2 2008​

Session Times: 8:30am to 9:50am,10:10am to 11:30am(AEDT)
(5:30pm to 6:50pm,7:10pm to 8:30pm)(local)

TV Coverage: Live ESPN and ESPN HD from 7:30am AEDT

SQUADS
Stanford Superstars: Lionel Baker (Montserrat) ,Sulieman Benn (Barbados), Shivnarine Chanderpaul (Guyana), Lennox Cush (Guyana),Travis Dowlin (Guyana), Rayad Emrit (Trinidad & Tobago), Andre Fletcher (Grenada), Chris Gayle (Jamaica)(captain), Chad Hampson (Antigua & Barbuda), Lindon James – Wicketkeeper (St Vincent & The Grenadines), Sylvester Joseph (Antigua & Barbuda), Dave Mohammed (Trinidad & Tobago), Kieron Pollard (Trinidad & Tobago), Daren Powell (Jamaica), Darren Sammy (St Lucia), Ramnaresh Sarwan (Guyana), Jerome Taylor (Jamaica)

England: Kevin Pietersen – Captain (Hampshire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Ravi Bopara (Essex), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Paul Collingwood (Durham), Alastair Cook (Essex), Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire), Stephen Harmison (Durham), Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire), Matt Prior – Wicketkeeper (Sussex), Owais Shah (Middlesex), Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire), Ryan Sidebottom (Nottinghamshire), Luke Wright (Sussex)

Umpires: Simon Taufel(Australia) and Rudi Koertzen(South Africa)

Prizemoney
Winning Team will win $13million(US) $19Million(Aust)
$1million(US) $1.46million(Aust) to each member of the winning eleven.
$1million(US) $1.46million(Aust) to share between 12th Man and other non playing squad members.
A further $1million(US) $1.46 million(Aust) to be shared amongst the management team.

There was $400,000(US) $585,000(Aust) won earlier in the week in the Middlesex vs Trinidad and Tobago match.

The remaining prize money will be split between the WICB and the ECB.

Weather Forecast: Few Showers Possible(30% chance of rain) Max 29

Odds from Centrebet: England $1.75 Stanford Superstars $2.08

Warm Up results
Game 1: Superstars 5/146 def Trinidad and Tobago 8/124 by 22 runs
Game 2: England 4/121 def Middlesex 4/109 by 12 runs
Game 3: Middlesex 8/117 lost to Trinidad and Tobago 5/122 by 5 wkts with 4 balls to spare
Game 4: England 6/141 def Trinidad and Tobago 9/140 by 1 run
Game 5: Superstars 4/173 def Middlesex 115 by 58 runs

Re: Stanford 20/20 for 20: Stanford Superstars vs England at Antigua

A ridiculous amount of money on offer here.

Standford just go away!!!! Not good for the game I say

D.K;276960 said:
A ridiculous amount of money on offer here.

Standford just go away!!!! Not good for the game I say

Yes it is, are the player playing for the game or for the money?

The whole thing's a big farce. Stanford just wants to show everybody how rich he is.

It would hold some small interest if it wasn't being played on the slowest deck in the world, with the highest individual score in all 5 games being forty-something.

The cricketing equivalent of prostitution

I've been trying to find some positives from it all and to be honest there are very few. The only one I can really find/hope for is that some of the money awarded to the ECB will trickle it's way down the chain to club cricket, as some of the t.v money did.

Thankfully, it seems that England have had a bit of a wake up call this week. Think they've realised that whilst the idea sounds great, in practice it's been little more than a farce. The facilities are good to a point but not really great (wicket over rolled - 40 hours is far too much and the lights are poor), especially with the amount of cash riding on it.

Sure, Stanford claims he's doing it to help further the appeal of cricket but it does seem to be little more than an ego trip for him. I do believe that he is a genuine cricket fan (of the 20 over version of the game anyway) and he does seem to be in awe of the players but this is quickly over once he realises he basically 'owns' them.

The major problem is that a lot of cultures find talking about money or needless displays of wealth to be vulgar and this seems to be an issue here. The stereotype of a brash, cash laden Texan/American seems to hold true, which doesn't really help his cause - image is everything and his conduct has been questionable to date.

I really am disgusted to be honest. The ECB needs to start to get its act together fast. No more T20 cricket please, please, please. I liked it at first but now it has just become overused and a money grabbing farce. The ECB needs to make sure cricket gets back on terrestial TV and start again from there.

You never know, maybe the PPV channels will only be interested in the 20-20 games in future and the longer forms will become available for terrestrial channels? Some good may come of administrative greed :D

If you were Anderson you'd probably be feeling gutted at the moment. Dropped for the first time in a year or so, just when there is the potential of a millon dollar pay day!

It's not all bad - a quarter mill for doing nothing if they win. And no chance of being blamed if they lose. I'm sure he'd still prefer to be playing though - I'll bet the other players won't be taking any food from him for fear of further "food-poisoning" :D

It makes you wonder about team morale though. Is he feeling annpyed/excluded or as you said, relived that the pressure is off?

It's a very strange position to be in I'd have thought.

They are quite right in leaving him out though, he would be smashed around in T20 cricket, it always happens with him once he gets hit for a couple of fours the wheels come off dramatically and he keeps getiing hit. As good as ODI bowler he is he shouldn't be selected for T20 cricket.

It's worse than that, 92-9!

Gonna have to be a hell of a bowling performance.

Awesome, 99 all out.

Have to hope the pressure tells on the Stanford players, although I don't think it will somehow.

I think England missed a trick when they won the toss and decided to bat first. 99 all out! Some quite rubbish cricket by England and the Superstars bowled brillliantly. I think this should be an easy chase for the Stanford Superstars, the pitch is looking to be the best in the tournament so far. But with 20 million$ at stake, you never know!

Well, well! Isn't this a surprise. Nice stuff from England. An aggressive approach is exactly what England need at this moment.

edit: I take that back, spoke too soon. lol

As it stands, there are four Superstars players who are going to earn $1m without even having had to bowl or bat.

Back