Starting again

Boris

I'm the sort of person who has got to be practising continually... one month not doing something means I've gone quite backwards. Luckily I seem to pick things up again faster than others though so I'm glad about that.

Some may know that I had surgery on my shoulder in February and because of that and a couple of other things I haven't played competition cricket since the 2008/09 season, apart from a couple of games here and there and a couple of social/fun games. I haven't played outside of the nets since December last year either so it's a year now.

I've been playing competition baseball regularly though so I haven't been sitting on a couch all year though :p. Decided to give this season a miss as well due to it being incredibly busy work-wise, but things are cooling off and I'm missing playing too much, so depending on how things go in the nets I might find myself a club in my new region and see if I can get a game towards the end of the summer.

That's my usual pre-question ramble, so inevitably now to the question.

The couple of times I've been in the nets I've been terrible. I've come to expect some good things from myself as I was progressing quite nicely, but as an off spin bowler I've been struggling to hit the pitch, let alone good line and length. Might be exaggerating a little but you get the picture.

My batting has mysteriously improved, but I guess I have had a swing of a baseball bat a few times. I used to have a problem of playing baseball shots in cricket, but now that I can vent my baseball in actual games since I've started playing, I think that's made my cricket better. It still feels jerky and unnatural, though, takes a lot of concentration to get anywhere.

In a way my bowling feels a bit 'yippish' (yep, making up words :p), I've sort of forgotten what if feels like to bowl a good ball. Any tips on brushing off the cobwebs or is it really just going out there and getting some overs under the belt?

Also I have a question on fitness. I'm a pitcher in baseball and have rarely had to stress my shoulder. I also play volleyball, but it doesn't require much work with my left shoulder (injured one), and when it does not the troubling movements. It still feels a bit weak despite my constant exercise and I saw a physio for about 4-5 months after the surgery. Should I feel worried that it sort of feels 'dead' when I go for a fully extended straight drive, outstretch for a catch or sometimes even when bowling? Doesn't hurt, just has no power in there.

Nothing to worry about Boris. The shoulder will take a while to improve but it will do so gradually as you continue to use it the way you want to.

I actually would expect the batting to have improved. Not only are you a little stronger in the shoulder stabilisers, you are playing proper cricket shots now :p.

As for the yips, that is also normal. Just believe in yourself! The problem is, you have a vision in your head of how you used to bowl and it does not, quite, marry with what actually happens... (and you are probably wearing rose coloured specs in the vision). It has been a while so you need to get back into it. It too will come. Stop being such a 'guy', stop beating yourself up; you have been through a lot and the body needs to readjust... Get out there and give them hell!! I know you can do it :D.

Nothing to worry about Boris. The shoulder will take a while to improve but it will do so gradually as you continue to use it the way you want to.

I actually would expect the batting to have improved. Not only are you a little stronger in the shoulder stabilisers, you are playing proper cricket shots now :p.

As for the yips, that is also normal. Just believe in yourself! The problem is, you have a vision in your head of how you used to bowl and it does not, quite, marry with what actually happens... (and you are probably wearing rose coloured specs in the vision). It has been a while so you need to get back into it. It too will come. Stop being such a 'guy', stop beating yourself up; you have been through a lot and the body needs to readjust... Get out there and give them hell!! I know you can do it :D.
I have not felt a single bit of improvement since I talked to you last about this, though. The shoulder is strong now, pretty much the same as the right one, but it just has a spot where it just 'stops', and then you hit the other side of this area and it feels free again. It's like there's something that just cuts the power switch as it goes past a certain spot. When playing a technically correct drive it hits that spot just about when I contact (or meant to anyway :D) the ball. Same feeling as months ago and I've actually come to terms with the idea of it being that way for the rest of my life. Nothing major, just sort of makes me afraid of that area and not follow through with my shots.

And I always played proper cricket shots. It was just interspersed with random stuff I made up on the spot. I like to call myself an improvisational genius. :D But I am working on playing a better game, I've been hitting them so well in the nets of late I've considered quitting off spin haha. I'm not going to because I know this form won't last out in the middle, but it is a surprise.

Thank you for the pep talk though Liz. I was considering putting myself down as yet another cricket tragic and just watching from afar, concentrate on continuing my good run with baseball. Love cricket too much for that though :)

Well, tbh Boris, there is a possibility that you have an impingement. It may be worth going back to get this checked out.

It does sound as though your rotator cuff muscles need some work. There is possibly an imbalance there. This can be caused by too many lat pull downs. If this is the case, some time on the cable machine should sort it out. However, it could be caused by other activity rather than gym but this would usually be overhead work :confused:. It could also be that there is some nerve work going on and it needs time to reroute.

Whatever you do, keep on with the cricket, it should sort itself out but may take time. I wish you were over here so that I could sort you out... though you probably would not like trudging through the snow... although, snowball fights may just be as good :D

I might be over there next summer (or winter for you) to catch up with a mate, so there's chance yet :D. This snow idea is putting me off though... for a guy who has spent his whole life in Queensland snow is hard to imagine. It drops below zero maybe twice a year here and it's bloody cold when it does... I can feel my ears freezing off now. :eek:

I don't think I've really overworked it through actual training, although that could be the case. I've followed my physio's rules and have worked on making sure everything was even so I'm hoping that's not the case, although I have been going through some pretty intensive skills training for volleyball in the last six months and that requires a lot of powerful movements of jumping up to block with both arms above my head. After a two hour training session after work my arms are pretty sore so that might be helping in that case. I'll leave it another month and see how it goes, then go back and see the physio. Or would GP be better?

Volleyball as well... wow! That is probably it Boris but it does not mean you have to stop. It does sound like imbalance with the RC though; the supraspinatus may be a little stronger/tighter than the infraspinatus, teres minor and subscapularis. If you can, get on a cable machine and work on exercises that take your outstretched arm across your front and straight out behind you. You will also benefit from the door frame stretch.

If you have a really good physio, that is always the best place to go for this sort of thing but try the exercises first. If the above is right and the exercises do not work, the physio can stretch and relax the supraspinatus for you. However, bear in mind that I cannot be sure of the problem without seeing you.

Keep us informed.

Look forward to seeing you next year ;). It's been minus 20 in some places over here and some people have been stranded in their cars overnight due to heavy snow... where does your mate live?

Boris if you're coming over here - where you going to be staying? Just read through the thread here for the first time, fingers crossed it'll come good in time.

Yes I play three sports pretty full on. It was alright with my old job as I worked in short bursts and could choose when I wanted to work pretty much, so everything fit in nicely. Now with an 8-5 job 5 days a week I'm cramming a training of some sort every second afternoon and a game one weekday and one on the weekend. Not much time to post on BC anymore! :eek:

I'm thinking of dropping one for obvious reasons. Good news is that you've convinced me (very quickly I might add :D) not to drop cricket. Suppose all of this can't be good on the body... get aches and pains all the time. Plenty of bruised/broken fingers and minor strains and sprains everywhere. I'm going to feel it when I get old hahaha

This trip isn't a certainty by any means but my friend lives in Blackburn (wherever that is) so probably staying there or near there. Going to make it into a bit of a travelling experience though stay over there for a month or so (I get a month of holidays over Christmas every year so might as well spend it in England). Problem is that it's off season for cricket and I don't really like the winter sports that much. Plus your summer is too cold for me, let alone winter. It should be interesting, though.

I have no idea where anything is in England. Is Blackburn anywhere near where you two are? To me everything looks close in England though... so not sure how relevant that question is... :D

And thanks again Liz, don't know where I'd be without you. Oh yes I do, in a wheel chair, silly me.

Had a couple of net sessions since I've posted, with and without batsmen and things are a lot better. I need to work on getting the spin back up, used to be able to spin it quite a bit. Maybe I should post a video of my offies and see if there's anything up with my technique that I haven't pulled apart myself yet?

Hi Boris,

Dave and I are practically neighbours [in Australian terms ;)]. Blackburn is about 220 miles from the north of Essex. On a good day, it would take about four hours in the car... with the snow this year, it would probably take you two days :D.

Your amount of activity would not cause too many problems, as long as you do it right! You need to enjoy life, don't let sport become a chore; when this happens, then you need to consider dropping something. However, you also need a good balance in life... leave some time for the other kind of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boris if you think our summers are cold you're going to be in for a shock if you come over here in the winter last night it was -19 degrees centigrade in the snow and that's a record in my lifetime in the south of the country!

Hi Boris,

Dave and I are practically neighbours [in Australian terms ;)]. Blackburn is about 220 miles from the north of Essex. On a good day, it would take about four hours in the car... with the snow this year, it would probably take you two days :D.

Your amount of activity would not cause too many problems, as long as you do it right! You need to enjoy life, don't let sport become a chore; when this happens, then you need to consider dropping something. However, you also need a good balance in life... leave some time for the other kind of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
355km (or 220 miles for you oldies ;)) is still a pretty far distance for an Australian so that's quite a distance to drive. Over here we might be able to knock that off in 3.5 hours depending on where you are driving to and from and the speed limits, generally about 110km/h on highways around these parts, with new sections now becoming 120km/h. If you are driving through the middle of the country you could do that in 2.5 hours due to there being no speed limits, or at least no police to enforce them and non-caring locals :eek:.

I've worked out a pretty decent balance. One sport has to go, and that looks like baseball. They don't have the people, the skill level or the facilities so unfortunately I've had to choose it. Which is exactly what they don't want, because they need the people to get the other things. That's the problem with minority sports.

Boris if you think our summers are cold you're going to be in for a shock if you come over here in the winter last night it was -19 degrees centigrade in the snow and that's a record in my lifetime in the south of the country!
I'm going to freeze. Literally. Even if it is summer. You'll be able to find me pretty easily, I'll be either the guy lying on the ground breathing heavily wrapped in about 10 layers of clothing and unable to move.

Within the next 2 years I get to go to India for business reasons as well, and probably during the summer. Makes me realise how good we have it for sport, we consider India hot and England cold. We are right in the middle and that's just about perfect for everything but skiing. And who needs these horrid winter sports that we can't win gold medals at anyway? ;)

Back