Strauss to join New Zealand club

StanTheMan

Strauss to join New Zealand club

Andrew Strauss is set to play domestic cricket in New Zealand on a short-term contract with the Northern Knights ahead of England's tour there.

Strauss, 30, has suffered a dip in form over the past year and was dropped for England's current tour of Sri Lanka.

I think this is a good move, means that he has a chance to get cricket under his belt, gets use to the conditions over there and can be in standby if needed by the England team.

Maybe its a going to be a trend where Moore's encourages his players to play unlike Fletcher who seemed keen to keep them wrapped up in cotton wool.

Re: Strauss to join New Zealand club

Its the off season in the UK at the moment so he's gone abroad until it begins again.

How good is domestic cricket in new zealand. They are very poor in test cricket. But its good decision because strauss is not in form and some practice will be good for him

Rohitpatel said:
How good is domestic cricket in new zealand. They are very poor in test cricket. But its good decision because strauss is not in form and some practice will be good for him

The standard is not high from what I know but the pitches are helpful to seam bowling so it will be a good test for Strauss and a good experience.

Could get a look in if Cook keeps playing like he is, as i say its always best for cricketers to play cricket and all this rubbish about burn out is stupid. Cricketers need to play cricket and Strauss is doing the right thing.

I don't like Strauss that much. His performance has deteriorated a lot.

I don't think Strauss would be the first choice in New Zealand. I don't think he is any good anymore, my openers would definately be Cook and Mustard (WK).

Players do not become bad players overnight. Where Strauss has come unstuck is that he has an obvious weakness and teams have exploited this to full effect.

The onus is now on him to improve this area of his game, and the crucial thing is that he restores his confidence.

Mustard will never make for an opener in Test cricket due to his attacking nature. And any decision to use him in that role could be the catalyst to him losing his attacking and inventive instincts that have made him a successful batsmen.

If Strauss isn't in the England side that tour New Zealand then i'll be disappointed. Strauss is much better at the opening position than Vaughan, i think he should be back! Vaughan back to no.3.

Simbazz said:
I don't think Strauss would be the first choice in New Zealand. I don't think he is any good anymore, my openers would definately be Cook and Mustard (WK).
Vaughan is a good opener and Prior is a better keeper than Mustard.Mustard only has one way and that's hit.Trescothick had a test match game,Mustard doesn't even open for his county how can you ask a keeper who bats at seven to open in Tests?Cook and Vaughan did a brilliant job today i don't see why we would change it.

Mustard can open, and has showed he can do it in ODI's, i just think he's a keeper who we can make into something special if we use him right.

Vaughan isn't an opener, hes a worldclass number 3, Cook plays brilliant more often than not, Strauss plays brilliant not a lot of the time of late.

Simbazz said:
Mustard can open, and has showed he can do it in ODI's, i just think he's a keeper who we can make into something special if we use him right.

Vaughan isn't an opener, hes a worldclass number 3, Cook plays brilliant more often than not, Strauss plays brilliant not a lot of the time of late.

Test and one day cricket are two different games all together.I wouldn't call getting a top score of 20 odd showing he can do it.He's a pinch hitter and nothing more i fail to see the use of a pinch hitter in test match cricket.

Well i'm looking to the future, i feel he'll be in the future as an opening wicket keeper, who knows?

We don't need to look to the future yet Prior is doing well and is still young.The future keepers for England are the likes of Davies and Greg Wood in my opinion.

I dont like Prior for some reason, he just isn't up to standard at a consistent enough rate :eek:

Prior was brilliant against the West Indies and is doing very well against Sri Lanka.People criticise him just because he's a bit gobby behind the stumps which is wrong.He's proving he's the best man for the job right now.

Back