Super Sub, Hat Trick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirvo

Super Sub, Hat Trick Question

This scenario happened in our game on the weekend. In our competition we can super sub 1 player overnight.

Player A took the last two wickets with the last two balls of the first innings. Overnight we super subbed him. In the second innings our super sub took a wicket with his first ball. In effect the two players achieved a combined super sub hat trick.

Do you think this should be recorded as a hat trick?

We have asked the same question of our Association Secretary who is at a loss to find a definative answer. He agrees that in terms of cricket laws, the two super sub affected players are playing as one player. All involved want to call it a hat trick but we can't find any similar situations world wide. Perhaps they have also achieved a world first.

Re: Super Sub, Hat Trick Question

It's a hat-trick in my book (not that that means anything).

A better question would be, why on earth did you super-sub out a player who was on a hat-trick?

Stamislav;110915 said:
It's a hat-trick in my book (not that that means anything).

A better question would be, why on earth did you super-sub out a player who was on a hat-trick?

Probably because it was the end of the first innings and the wicket taker may have not have been considered a dab hand with the bat.

Definitely not a hat trick.

funpoke;110998 said:
Probably because it was the end of the first innings and the wicket taker may have not have been considered a dab hand with the bat.

Definitely not a hat trick.
Definetly could be. I reckon it is.

A hattrick to the 11th player on the team. A supersub counts as one player, the initial player and the subbed player are just swapped on the field but the position is the same.

SouthSwans;111049 said:
A hattrick to the 11th player on the team. A supersub counts as one player, the initial player and the subbed player are just swapped on the field but the position is the same.

But not an individual or identified player.

Can live with a team secured a hat trick so o'k, it was a hat trick.

But not of the kind say that Merv Hughes got against the West Indies (?) when he got wickets at the end of one innings and with his first ball in the next innings. Don't go the morphing.

It is technically a hat-trick as 3 wickets were taken consecutively. But, is it a proper hat-trick? Doesn't a hat-trick have to be taken by one person and not two?

I know, the super-sub rule states that two players are playing in the game as one player but they are still different people regardless of the rules of the game.

For this reason it is hard to determine whether it is a hat-trick or not. Technically it is but it isn't.

Very hard to decide on.

There are individual hat-tricks, and then there are team hat-tricks. An example of a team hat-trick could be if one player takes wicket on the last ball of an over, and the next bowler takes 2 wickets on the first 2 balls of the next over. No specific player recorded an individual hat-trick in this example, but the team sure did.

Three wickets have been taken in a row, so you could call that a team hat-trick. But it is not an individual hat-rick as the players have been interchanged.

OK here's the upshot of it all

We super subbed player A overnight because he was unavailable on day 2. (this is the purpose for which our Association brought in the super sub)

The Association will not honour the hat trick in the same way they will not recognise a wicket partnership involving 3 players because one had retired hurt. (eg. batsman 1 & 2 put on 100 runs when batsman 2 retires hurt. batsman 3 comes in and makes a stand of 200 with player 1 before getting out. The first wicket fell at 300 but two seperate partnerships are recorded)

We, as a club recognise both feats.

sirvo;110870 said:
This scenario happened in our game on the weekend. In our competition we can super sub 1 player overnight.

Player A took the last two wickets with the last two balls of the first innings. Overnight we super subbed him. In the second innings our super sub took a wicket with his first ball. In effect the two players achieved a combined super sub hat trick.

Do you think this should be recorded as a hat trick?

We have asked the same question of our Association Secretary who is at a loss to find a definative answer. He agrees that in terms of cricket laws, the two super sub affected players are playing as one player. All involved want to call it a hat trick but we can't find any similar situations world wide. Perhaps they have also achieved a world first.
PLS GIVE ALL THE DETAILS,I.E,SCORECAED TO SUPPORT THE MATTER.

give the scorecard? You are joking aren't you.

What will that prove? If I fake the story I can easily fake a scorecard can't I.

Geez, if I wanted to make a story up I would have said I made the hat trick wouldn't I?

Is there really any need to bring up a thread that is nine months old with the sole intention of just arguing? I don't think so.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back