Swimming

edladd

Swimming

I went swimming last week for the first time in years and I really enjoyed it. Would swimming lengths be beneficial to cricket, other than in terms of improving general fitness. Or would I be wasting time that could be better spent bowling or doing interval training?

Actually I think I'd probably still go swimming once a week even if there's not significant crossover - in which case are lengths a bad idea (does it increase slow twitch muscle fibres for example)?

Re: Swimming

Why not do some form of interval training in the pool? Mix it up with fast lengths, slow lengths and different strokes etc.

I'd say that swimming is great for cricket, in that it works a lot of muscles, is low impact and good for general fitness. Obviously, playing cricket is the best way to train for cricket, but you do need a varied routine and swimming can be part of one.

In all honesty, don't put a lot of thought into the slow twitch/ fast twitch stuff. Muscles are made up of the three types of fibres (slow twitch; I, fast twitch; IIa, IIb). As a basic rule, slow twitch fibres are recruited during light resistance work (slow enurance swimming) and fast twitch fibres during heavy resistance work (sprint swimming [50 meters or less]). You can train your body to to recruit these fibres more efficiently through these different types of training BUT in all reality, almost all types of excercise use both fibres to a degree.

I'm not sure what the specific carry over benefits would be (if any)- but i've never heard anybody dismiss swimming as anything but great for overall health. I know I always feel infinitely better after a good swim (which I don't do enough). Worry about specificity in your resistance and running drills, just enjoy a good swim!

Cheers lads, sounds sensible enough. Went for a dip in the sea at the weekend in Wexford (Southeast Ireland) and it was bloody freezing!! No nets this week as there are some concerts on in the park where we play, so I might go to the pool one of the evenings instead.

Back