Swing Bowling

Re: Swing Bowling

I am in no way going to say Anderson is dud. He is a regular bowler in one of the better sides in the world. That automatically puts him in the best 20 or so in the world.

Having said that, as an Aussie, I have always been pleased while he is bowling as I have never seen him as a threat compared to many of his team mates.

As for swing bowling, the pitch conditions nowadays are not very conducive to it. They are usually prepared for good pace and bounce or for spin. Very few swing bowlers can do those things as well, though there have been some.

mas cambios;321894 said:
If that's directed at me, then it doesn't make a lot of sense. Nowhere have I said that he is incapable of winning a series, merely that he is frustratingly inconsistent. This is borne out time and time again if you actually analyse the matches and not just the scorecards.

When he is good, he is very good, likewise, when he is bad he's terrible. There can also be little dispute that he has talent but like Bell, his chances to fulfil that talent are running out.

Can he win the Ashes for England in the summer? Well, he needs to reclaim his spot in the starting XI to begin with and then get some overs under his belt. He then needs to put a string of consistent performances together over the whole of the 5 matches, something he's been largely unable to do to date.

Personally, I don't see him playing a pivotal role although I'm sure he'll make an appearance at some point. If I'm wrong, then great; I actually hope I'm proved wrong. Not only because the urn will be back in our hands, but also because it may mean that Anderson has finally cracked it and can lead our attack for a few years.

Thanks for your input but it was directed at all of the English supporters who do not properly appreciate his talent.

grapedo;322114 said:
Thanks for your input but it was directed at all of the English supporters who do not properly appreciate his talent.

If he learns to harness that talent, then we might have a different view on him.

But for now, he is a frustratingly inconsistent bowler

sirvo;321924 said:
I am in no way going to say Anderson is dud. He is a regular bowler in one of the better sides in the world. That automatically puts him in the best 20 or so in the world.

Having said that, as an Aussie, I have always been pleased while he is bowling as I have never seen him as a threat compared to many of his team mates.

As for swing bowling, the pitch conditions nowadays are not very conducive to it. They are usually prepared for good pace and bounce or for spin. Very few swing bowlers can do those things as well, though there have been some.

Agree with that, the pitch conditions aren't really that conducive to consistent conventional swing bowling. The atmospheric conditions in Australia are always very dry and grounds like the SCG, MCG and the Adelaide Oval have very dry wickets and as such the ball really doesnt hold any shine. Consquently, it's easier to harness reverse swing in these type of conditions.

NZ is probably one of the best places to get conventional swing.

grapedo;321074 said:
No way.

There are plenty of fast bowlers out their who can swing it, Steyn, Vaas, Sharma, Johnson (at times), Lee, Southee and Gillespie along with many others can swing the ball particularly well.

Swing bowling is well and alive.

I think that these three bowlers are the only ones that swing it at an international level consistently. The other you have named a just seamers.
Khan would also be up there for me.

Back