Swing control

abhiscenter

Swing control

Hello guys,
I know you guys are excited about the world T20!
but coming to the question, I bowl medium fast outswing and I get big swing aka "Banana Swing" So the question is what should be my ideal line and length? currently I bowl on outside leg and it ends up out side off stump, also I keep it full. But I am not happy with my line n length, so can you people help me out with this asap?
plz pitch in your great opinions.
thank you
A.V

Re: Swing control

Hey FBI, I will try and see if I can get a video of my bowling, cuz in order to show the swing, i need to get a new ball too. So let me see what I can do.

Tbh, getting absolutely massive swing does not seem like too much of a problem, unless every deliver you bowl is far too wide. If you want to stop it swinging, then you can hold it 'cross seam'.

Too much swing can be as bad as no swing, especially if it's taking the ball wide of the stumps or way past the edge - the batsman can simply leave it.

In terms of line, you want to be aiming for the top of off stump, the idea being that any movement will take it just wide (but close enough for the edge). Length will depend on the pitch but you might be better of not bowling so full.

To reduce the swing, try moving the ball about in your hands a little, so the seam isn't directly between your fingers.

if there's that much swing you could always try bowling around the wicket and pitching outside leg stump. batsmen will look to play a leg glance and with so much swing be getting leading edges for caught and bowled dismissals

A good tip I heard is to bowl wider on the crease as the wider angle brings the swing under control.

i also have your problem with my swing, sometimes it does get a little crazy but if you save your big outswinger for a nice full yorker, you should pick up more wickets. just work on bowling a few more straight ones at a good line and length then throw in the banana. also i tend to swing it more with a ball about 15 or so overs old, it has heaps more control than a new ball.

I've found the best way to control massive outswing is to bowl with your normal action, but hold the ball with the seam facing towards leg side. The seam position then negates most of, if not all, of the outswing. Then, you can vary the amount of swing you get by moving the seam back towards the off side. But this may not work for you, i've found it useful as i am a straight on bowler with a more sidearm action, and to bowl an inswinger, i have to bring my arm more upright. Worth a try tho.

for me i also vary my arm height.

might not work for you cause im more of a sling bowler with a 45 degree angle from my bowling arm to down my side past my shoulder on the verticle.

i drop my arm lower, more malinga style for skidding and non-swinging balls, and then raise it higher for bouncers and swinging balls.

but my action is completely different to 'orthodox'. depends on your action.

You obviously bowl very front on. If you dont, you have a gift. Assuming you do, you will have to teach yourself to straighten up. Controlled swing comes from the wrist not the chest. Outswingers are with the wrist cocked outside you shoulder and your fingernais in front of your eyes. The inswinger with the wrist upright with the back of your hand in front of your eye.
Train yourself to straighten up. What do I mean by straighten up? At the point of delivery you should have your chest facing the umpire, not your right shoulder, if you are a right armer.
For now until you master your wrist and body action, try and bowl short of a length and at the batmans' hip. Always train on your deficiencies. We all now what we can do good but to train yourself on what you struggle with just adds to you armoury.

Back