swing

marco93

swing

Can anyone tell me what way a ball swings because I am told it swings towards the rough side but for me it always swings towards the shiny side so any words of advice would be welcome.

Re: swing

Yep it swings towards the rough side. How are you holding it?

Are you using the same ball all the time? If so it might be reverse swing.

Your action may be influencing which was the ball moves.

no its always a different ball but ever since i was told about the ball swinging towards the rougher side i have been getting more swing

Do you hold the ball angled towards the way you want it to move? It's possible that if you just hold it with the seam straight, then your action will dictate which direction it goes like Jonesy said.
Also, can you swing it towards the shiny side in both directions - or do you always bowl to swing one way?

i used to swing the ball both ways towards the shiny side but i have now cahnged my grip and now it swings towards the rough side. i dont think i will ever understand the laws of swing:confused:

Swing can be a mystery at the best of times. It depends on so many factors that all you can do is use the best methods and techniques and pray for little bit of luck.

Count yourself lucky that you can get it to swing! Sounds like if you were to swap the shiny side the other round it'd swing the other way? Don't whinge - make use of it who cares if it swings the rough side or the shiny side - what matters is that it does!!!

Yeah, there seems to be two ways you can go with swing (pun not intended). Some people get really caught up with the technical side and insisting that they are holding the ball properly, and it's angled 20 degrees, and the rough side is facing where you want the ball to go and a load of other things that you read about swing. But then there are others that say there are a million ways to swing a ball - and they're all right. If you can get the ball to swing held cross-seam - more power to ya! As long as it gets batsmen out, why care how it looks.

Having said that, it is good to understand what you do to make sure it's reproducible. But if you can swing the ball with your current action, don't try to change it so that it lines up with conventional thinking. I'd consider it an advantage to be able to swing a ball opposite to how it usually goes - isn't that called reverse swing ;)

Back