T20 at the Olympics.

Jonesy

T20 at the Olympics.

From Cricinfo -

Adam Gilchrist is leading a player push for Twenty20 to be included in the 2020 Olympics, believing it is an essential step in securing the game's global future. With the start of the Beijing event less than a week away, Gilchrist says the cricket "pipedream" is a "potential reality" following the success of the new format and the Indian Premier League.

"It doesn't matter where the 2020 Olympic Games are held, but many of us who've experienced international Twenty20 cricket and the IPL are convinced that cricket should bid to become an Olympic sport in time for the Games," Gilchrist wrote in the Deccan Chronicle. Cricket was part of the 1900 Olympics before being cut, but last year it gained "recognition status" from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for two years.

"We have a responsibility to grow our game in new territories and amongst the women of the world," Gilchrist wrote. "I believe the Olympic Games is the vehicle the sport should use to aggressively sell the message of our sport to all 202 competing Olympic nations, so our sport is strong and robust in countries where it is currently played, and exciting and ground-breaking in countries who haven't yet caught the 'cricket-bug'."

To receive "programme status" at the 2020 Olympics, cricket would need to be approved by the IOC at a meeting seven years before the event. Twenty-six sports are part of the Beijing schedule and there are currently two vacancies for future Games. Golf, karate, baseball, softball, rugby sevens and roller sports are among the disciplines currently competing for the right to be involved in 2016.

Gilchrist believes it is time to start serious lobbying. "Between 2009 and 2013 cricket would promote itself to the IOC as a prospective sport and, if we get it right, cricket will be invited to the Olympic party in 2020," he said.

Full story at:

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/363590.html

Would be great to see it at the Olympics, would make the minnow teams and teams like China hopefully put more money into cricket. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

How was the cricket in the Commonwealth games in 1998? Did it go alright?

Re: T20 at the Olympics.

Yeah hopefully it makes it in. I suppose they'd have to get high level cricket played in more countries to have a successful bid but that can only be good for the game.

Would they have a qualifying standard though? As much as I'd love to see some small African nation bowl England out for 12, if they allow all countries to enter we'd see some massive mismatches.

Well a good reason from the Olympics point of view is it could get the sub continental countries into it. At the Athens Olympics, only one medal was won (a silver) from there, and the sub continent holds a fifth of the worlds population.

I think T20 is the right format to market cricket. It will be great for the sport if its included in the Olympics.

It is a good idea and i think even Steve Waugh also supports the same.
He does have the right thinking for cricket.
I remember last time when Australia toured India that time Adam Gilchrist had suggested about having match on 26th of January as it holds major importance for both the countries and having a match on 26th will be a ideal way to celebrate the same.
But neither of the Cricket board have looked into it.

Back