Test XI Selection Thread

Re: Test XI Selection Thread - NZ Tour

BabyBlues;392801 said:
3 years isn't exactly that long, you know. Add just one more year, and he averages 48 over 4 years. That's not that great. Not to mention the fact that he's only put together 4 centuries those 4 seasons, from 44 knocks. Smith has scored the same number in 13. Also, to those discounting this season's form because he hardly played, he had 7 knocks this season. He had 8 last year, when he scored at 57. If you're going to discount this year's, you should discount last year's as well.

My point is that as great as White has been in ODIs, he has been not much more than a pretty good contributor at FC level. Smith was the most dominant batsman in FC this year. He has not put a foot wrong, and has demanded selection.

Now, I'm not totally against playing North one more time. An ultimatum might be what he needs to kick into form. But whether he plays or not, next in line should be Smith.

You are right about him not being that great over the years, and funnily enough is exactly the argument I used against the picking of White when others brought it up a few months ago. I am not exactly the biggest promoter of White, but I'm doing my bit now.

I do think going on both the way he has matured and really worked on his game I do think he will be in the Test team by the end of the Ashes, if not playing in England against Pakistan. I really do think he is a chance of the captaincy either this round or the next if his age still allows him and form continues. I pretty much just think he is a quality player and should and will be recognised for it.

D.Hussey is one guy who really has been knocking on the door for a long time, and he is one guy I actually DO like from the Victorian team. Only age inhibits him.

I also am a fan of North's, but as he has not averaged over 20 runs the last season he is one hell of a dead weight being carried now for a player of about 10 or so games especially. He has the first game, but if he fails to contribute he is gone.

I still retain my stance of Smith having to have one more season of this sort of form (averaging 50 or better) for him to knock off someone who has been vouching for the spot for years.

Boris;392803 said:
You are right about him not being that great over the years, and funnily enough is exactly the argument I used against the picking of White when others brought it up a few months ago. I am not exactly the biggest promoter of White, but I'm doing my bit now.

I do think going on both the way he has matured and really worked on his game I do think he will be in the Test team by the end of the Ashes, if not playing in England against Pakistan. I really do think he is a chance of the captaincy either this round or the next if his age still allows him and form continues. I pretty much just think he is a quality player and should and will be recognised for it.

D.Hussey is one guy who really has been knocking on the door for a long time, and he is one guy I actually DO like from the Victorian team. Only age inhibits him.

I also am a fan of North's, but as he has not averaged over 20 runs the last season he is one hell of a dead weight being carried now for a player of about 10 or so games especially. He has the first game, but if he fails to contribute he is gone.

I still retain my stance of Smith having to have one more season of this sort of form (averaging 50 or better) for him to knock off someone who has been vouching for the spot for years.

If White had, in his 7 digs, it a couple of tons and averaged upwards of 65 or so, then I'd probably agree with you, and leave Smith for another year. Dussey is a tough one, I'm a fan, but I just wonder how much he has left in the tank. If he'd had a season that really lifted him above the pack this year, I'd be happy to see him in the team. As it is, he didn't, so I'm hesitant.

Part of the reason for wanting to see Smith have a go is that there aren't many batsmen crying out for the position. Hodge would be the only one, but he's retired from FC cricket. Khawaja is another, but he's just returned from injury, and has much the same question marks over him as Smith does. Who else? Klinger? Meh. There's not a lot of competition, but Smith has well and truly risen above the pack this year. He has put up his hand when few others have.

BabyBlues;392806 said:
If White had, in his 7 digs, it a couple of tons and averaged upwards of 65 or so, then I'd probably agree with you, and leave Smith for another year. Dussey is a tough one, I'm a fan, but I just wonder how much he has left in the tank. If he'd had a season that really lifted him above the pack this year, I'd be happy to see him in the team. As it is, he didn't, so I'm hesitant.

Part of the reason for wanting to see Smith have a go is that there aren't many batsmen crying out for the position. Hodge would be the only one, but he's retired from FC cricket. Khawaja is another, but he's just returned from injury, and has much the same question marks over him as Smith does. Who else? Klinger? Meh. There's not a lot of competition, but Smith has well and truly risen above the pack this year. He has put up his hand when few others have.

I completely see the logic in that.

I just have the inclination that Smith will be a better cricketer given another domestic season, and that White has more of an immediate future with the team.

Just differing opinions.

The trouble with White the last 2 years is he has had to play in India at the start of summer, then comes into the first class season, plays 2-3 games and doesnt really click but still averages mid 40's, then its off to the ODI side again. India is a very different place to Australia and I have seen some players really do take some time to get going again on Australian wickets

As for Smith being by far the best batsman in the country in first class cricket, what about Klinger? He has atleast done it for 2 years straight, yet obviously the selectors want to see its not a fluke after 6 poor years

One other point for why I push White for Norths spot, North is currently Australias no1 slip fielder, not a very good one, but whoever replaces him will probably go there, Smith is a damn good fielder, but usually around the ground, White is a very good slipper

North's not australia's best slipper. it's just happens that he's the 2nd best in the team but there are plenty better in shield. it's no reason to keep him in.

He is far from the best, but thats the spot he occupies in the team, so it is very possible if you have 2 candidates with strong cases that the one who is Australias best slip fielder could get over the line because of it

eddiesmith;392828 said:
He is far from the best, but thats the spot he occupies in the team, so it is very possible if you have 2 candidates with strong cases that the one who is Australias best slip fielder could get over the line because of it

Smith is a very good slipper as well. Definitely better than North.

I would definitely love to see an actual slipper in the side again. Now we have Ponting, and he is in second slip. The other choices are North (above average but not the greatest), Clarke (not a slipper at all) and Watson (drop central when in the slips).

White isn't the greatest ever in the slips, but he's as close as you can get in Australia currently. Would really like to see at least one proper first slipper in the side, whoever it is.

I wouldn't pick someone just for it, but that area has proved a lot of chances to go missing over the past few series. Definitely one place to improve on, if any.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;392978 said:
I think Watson is a decent slips fieldsmen, he handled catching some nicks of Tait pretty easily.

The catch he took at first slip from a 154 km/h ball off Tait was perhaps the best slips catch technically I have ever seen, no way he could have dropped that with the technique he used and I could watch it all day.

The 7 catches dropped last Sheffield Shield final still hangs in my memory though. Doesn't hold up in the pressure situations as well. Dropped some of the biggest sitters in that game, most of them in the slips.

I'm not saying he's a bad field, far from it, but the slips aren't his place.

Yes but watson is not in the side for slipping over. The argument that was put up was that north gets more chances because he is a good slipper which he isn't so it only seems fair that it doesn't count for him. White is a good 2nd slip. He likes hogging the limelight too much for first, ponting is wasted in first and the next best slipper would be a long way away if hussey stays in gully

Hussey is the best gully fielder in the world currently.

At the moment the slips are as following:

1. North (pace)/Clarke (spin) (Clarke is first slip but they have noticed his slipping of pace isn't too good, plus his back is playing up)
2. Ponting
3. North (if Clarke is at 1)/Watson
4. Watson (if North at 3)(if four slips are needed then Clarke is at 1, therefore meaning that Watson is here)
Gully Hussey

If White comes into the side, then the slips are set.

1. White
2. Ponting
3. Clarke/Watson
4. Watson/Clarke
Gully. Hussey

Second version looks much better

Sounds great but cameron white will not like the fact that he can't make easy catches look hard at first slip so he will not like 1st.

Reminds me of a funny comment from cricinfo when White took that great catch in the ODIs, they said it was an easy catch for 1st slip, no such thing as an easy catch when Shane Watson is there :D

Just to make sure I clear up any doubt... I'm not picking White on the basis of his slip fielding. I would never drop North just to put a better slip feilder in.

North should only be dropped if his batting is failing. The only place that selecting slips has is if two candidates have equal abilities but one is a better slips fieldsman for example.

Back