Test XI Selection Thread

Re: Test XI Selection Thread

lethalhughes;405394 said:
Jacques is a quality player and if he was to be selected for the indian tour in place of North.You're looking at a player with atleast 5 years in him.
We are going to have to agree to disagree here. His quality and longevity in the game are far from as obvious as you assert.

Katish, Hussey came into the team at a similiar age.Whats wrong with selecting a player as Jacques.

It pains me to defend Hussey (happy to defend Katich), but you are talking apples and oranges in terms of quality here.

Cant remember (or be bothered checking) but I don't recall Jaques being all conquering last season.

Jacques is a quality player and if he was to be selected for the indian tour in place of North.You're looking at a player with atleast 5 years in him.Katish, Hussey came into the team at a similiar age.Whats wrong with selecting a player as Jacques, when Marcus "' am only averaging 42 in domestic cricket"' North gets selected.

It's Jaques. And I'd say his time in the team has passed unless our openers start getting injured.

I do really like Jaques, and he would have been my pick ahead of Katich if he were fit at the retirement of Langer (especially as he was scoring runs like a machine before his back went out), but it's too late now. There are plenty of openers around now, and most of them could do a better job than Hughes, which is saying something. Jaques averaged 40ish in his last incomplete season and I'm not sure if his body is holding up very well. Unfortunate, but that's the way it goes at the top.

Australia had/still has too many excellent players playing all at the one time. It's amazing to see players like Jaques, Hodge, Dussey, Love etc all unable to get into the side when it's very likely they'd walk into any other Test side. Just shows the then quality of the side a few years ago.

''There are plenty of openers around now, and most of them could do a better job than Hughes''
-------------------------------------------------------------
With the exeption of Rogers and Katish( in the side already so its really only Rogers)who are the ''plenty openers around'' who can do a better job than Hughes?I really think we will struggle to find 2 openers if Watson is to bat down the order and when Katish retires.Hughes is certainly a possible long term option,who you guys reckon will be the other.Or is it better that Watson stays in the opening spot?

Boris;405416 said:
I do really like Jaques, and he would have been my pick ahead of Katich if he were fit at the retirement of Langer (especially as he was scoring runs like a machine before his back went out), but it's too late now. There are plenty of openers around now, and most of them could do a better job than Hughes, which is saying something. Jaques averaged 40ish in his last incomplete season and I'm not sure if his body is holding up very well. Unfortunate, but that's the way it goes at the top.

Australia had/still has too many excellent players playing all at the one time. It's amazing to see players like Jaques, Hodge, Dussey, Love etc all unable to get into the side when it's very likely they'd walk into any other Test side. Just shows the then quality of the side a few years ago.

Not enough for him to get back into the side. Jaques is wrong side of 30 now at 31 and hasn't done a lot in the current county season, scoring 465 runs at an average of 31. And that's division two county cricket, not the top grade so those numbers are pretty poor. Chris Rogers (who would be competing with Jaques for an opening spot) has 1040 runs, four centuries (including a double hundred) and an average of 57.77. Rogers is also playing in division two as well so he makes Jaques' stats look pretty ordinary.

Jaques still has time to get back into the team but needs to start making runs now and also when our summer gets underway. The only thing that will get him back into the test side is runs as there are a few guys ahead of him already in case a spot becomes available in the side for whatever reason.

lethalhughes said:
''There are plenty of openers around now, and most of them could do a better job than Hughes''
With the exeption of Rogers and Katish( in the side already so its really only Rogers)who are the ''plenty openers around'' who can do a better job than Hughes?I really think we will struggle to find 2 openers if Watson is to bat down the order and when Katish retires.Hughes is certainly a possible long term option,who you guys reckon will be the other.Or is it better that Watson stays in the opening spot?

Behind Watson and Katich you'd have Hughes, Rogers and at a stretch Shaun Marsh. Jaques would probably be ahead of Marsh due to the fact that Shaun hasn't played a first-class game for eight months but going on recent form Jaques is a mile off playing for Australia at the moment.

lethalhughes;405442 said:

His last few games haven't been the greatest, Hughes (domestically). I wouldn't say he's in the best of form and still trying to work out his technique problem. Hughes is the one for the future and the one I'd select, but theoretically at this very instant even a guy like Ryan Broad would probably score more runs than him.

I only pointed it out to show that if Jaques can't compete against Hughes who is in form trouble, then there's no way he can get back to the side.

Hughes isn't really struggling for form.He started the season slowly but blossom towards the latter part of the season.Yea u right Jaques is well behind Hughes, though i still think Jaques is a quality player and if picked he would do a good job.He (hughes)did score a really good 80 not out in his last international innings.Hughes problems against the short ball has been blown way out of proportions, he'll always look a bit uncomfortable against the short stuff just like Waugh,Sehwag but the great thing about him is that good deliveries that others may defend usually race to the fence.His one guy i would hate to bowl to.Ponting has always had a problem with the ball coming into him as he falls over earlier on in his innings that hasnt stop him from being one of australia's best players. Hughes will be fine if he keeps his head clear of the talk about short ball problems and changing his technique.

I really feel sorry for Jaques, his injury came at the worst possible time. He probably regrets choosing Australia now - he would have been a mainstay in the English team.

Caesar;405545 said:
I really feel sorry for Jaques, his injury came at the worst possible time. He probably regrets choosing Australia now - he would have been a mainstay in the English team.

Isn't Klinger an opener?

Beeswax;405599 said:
Isn't Klinger an opener?

Klinger usually bats at 3 i believe,but he certainly has the game to open.I doubt though Klinger will ever be picked.Though another strong season of batting and he may force the selectors to take notice.

Klinger is only 30, he could serve Australia for 5 years quite well.

I doubt his consistency, though. His career has been filled with ups and downs, not just normal ups and downs but going from averaging 55 one season to 21 the next.

Boris;405738 said:

I doubt his consistency, though. His career has been filled with ups and downs, not just normal ups and downs but going from averaging 55 one season to 21 the next.

Yes i agree, but one more season of big runs and he may force selectors to pick him.He has scored plenty runs in the past 2 seasons.Has he now matured as a batsman?Another season will give us a better idea.As i said i doubt he'll be picked though with guys like Khawaja, Hughes, Ferguson possible test cricketers in the future plus they've got age on their side.If North fails bad in the ashes ,since selectors want an experience player to be around when Ponting , katman, Hussey retires then Klinger might be an option provided he piles on the runs in the upcoming season.

Boris;405738 said:

That's like Shaun Marsh, at least Klinger has had 2 seasons in a row coming up with the goods.

Beeswax;405801 said:
That's like Shaun Marsh, at least Klinger has had 2 seasons in a row coming up with the goods.

The truth of the matter is there aint many batters in domestic cricket piling on the runs and forcing the selectors to take note of with the exeption of:

1.Hughes( will get back in the side at some point)
2.Khawaja( been consistent )
3. Klinger ( 2 really really good seasons)

others really scoring heavy are:
4.Rogers( i dont see selectors picking him : age and other reasons)
5.D.Hussey( In great form in county cricket. Same as Rogers doubt selectors will pick him).
and maybe a few i have missed.

So you would think with 3 retirements in the not too distance future , that khawaja and hughes will be given a fair opportunity in the near future.Klinger will still feel his got a shot at being selected his 30 years and has experience of several domestic seasons. Or selectors may select on potential players who haven't done it at domestic level yet but have done well at Odi level and the best candidate out there i would say is Ferguson.Shaun Marsh and White as well.May be if Ponting plays on for two more years then Mitch Marsh would be in the equation if he really piles on the runs in the next 2 seasons.Aussie clearly dont have as many options batting wise as they did during the days of WAUGH.Fast bowling stocks are plenty however.

I think the three replacements will be Hughes, Khawaja and White, not sure in what order or when but those three seem very able and likely.

Batting lately in the SS and indeed Tests has been a little strange IMO. The same scores are being produced, just in a more collective manner. Instead of a couple of batsmen digging in and scoring big in a partnership, everyone gets 30-70 runs and the score is the same in the end.

Also a few of the teams are going through those transitional phases. In Australia there was enough players to make 3 different teams and still be world number 1 a few years ago, but all of them retired at the same time, even in domestic cricket. So there are plenty of young batsmen that haven't found the consistency yet, they'll be back to a more normal situation for Australia soon.

There been questions about White technique.I think( still have my doubts) he has the game to be a successful number 6 for australia though.His matured as a batsman now, as seen in the odi games. My first two picks would be Hughes and Khawaja.My last pick would be between Ferguson and White and Ferguson would be my choice.If North continue to fail and is drop then we possibly looking at 4 replacements( batting wise) in the next 2-3 years.Thats a worry, selectors have dug themselves a hole and are slowly falling down in it.Hopefully they dont allow all 3 experience players retire together.As long as Katich keeps performing to his standard i wouldn't have any problem with him playing atleast 3 more years.The ashes should be Hussey's last test series in my opinion.

I'm not that sure on Ferguson to be honest. He's been injured more often than not and has always seemed to me to be more of a limited overs player. Not sure fully though as the Redbacks aren't exactly the most exciting of teams to follow lately.

EDIT: Also have a look at this for those not too interested in Johnson: http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=11;spanmax1=10+Aug+2010;spanmin1=24+aug+2009;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

This is why he's been nominated for ICC player of the year.

Boris;405953 said:
I'm not that sure on Ferguson to be honest. He's been injured more often than not and has always seemed to me to be more of a limited overs player. Not sure fully though as the Redbacks aren't exactly the most exciting of teams to follow lately.

EDIT: Also have a look at this for those not too interested in Johnson: Bowling records | Combined Test, ODI and T20I records | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

This is why he's been nominated for ICC player of the year.

He played a lot of games for all those wickets. He won't be in any shortlists. It will be rigged if he is.

Beeswax;407043 said:
He played a lot of games for all those wickets. He won't be in any shortlists. It will be rigged if he is.

Yes the stats don't tell the full story, Johnson has been way too inconsistent.Good bowling is about bowling in Partnerships and Johnson releases the pressure.His spot is definitely under threat should he struggle in india and the ashes.

A lot of the time it's the inconsistency and unpredictability that got him the wickets.

I don't really want to drop him also for the fact that he is the only conceivably regular bowler there. The others seem to rotate and get injured more often than not, and what exactly is the front-line attack? There's just a group of bowlers that all get games, except for Johnson who you know will be there.

The only thing that stops him from playing is getting an elbow infected after a bit of body ink. As long as he gets no more tattoos he's the fittest guy in the camp. I know you can't keep a player in the side simply because he doesn't get injured, but if he can keep the wickets up it's just another asset.

I'm not worried about his average, only his strike rate and wicket taking ability. He has a strike rate of 37, which, to be honest, is quite brilliant, and he has the tendency to take wickets exactly when the opposition don't want him too.

He's had a bit of a lean patch lately, but I think most of it was a cause of playing in England and also being a bit overworked with all three forms of the game, he must be close to the highest amount of games played over a calendar year for an international cricketer. This rest will no doubtedly do him some good and hopefully the other bowlers can make up for his bad economy rates with some good ones and let him be a wicket taker.

Back