Test XI Selection Thread

Re: Australian Test XI - Selection Thread

Sober Symonds;385766 said:
How about now???

(Only kidding Boz!)

Needs to be batting higher in ODIs before I would consider using that to determine Test likability. But saying that I wouldn't be batting him higher right now.

No doubt he is in form, just don't like the extra weight of another youngster if he gets bogged down. It's one thing carrying someone like Hussey for a couple of years, but it's another if 'the next big thing in world cricket' get bogged down and the rest of the team really have to make up for him, especially since the selectors wouldn't want to drop him. Don't quite have the balance in the team to start doing that.

Saying that though, that is all North is doing right now.

Every member of the Aussie test XI looks bad when it is moving around, thats why they collapsed to badly in Sydney, but there is no way North is any better at anything. Dont know how long they can keep carrying his poor batting and even worse fielding

North has 3 test tons Eddie, one of them was against Steyn and co on a SA green top.

How many of those does White have?

White is a gun ODI player in the making, if he isn't already, but test match cricket is another thing.

Symo was in irrestible ODI form in the year following the 2003 WC and pushed into the test side on the back of this, yet he struggled in test cricket because he didn't know hot to construct an innings outside bashing boundaries.

A lot of the time these guys come in with the field back and nudge singles here and there before going the tonk in the latter overs.

That is a far cry from taking guard in a test match and dealing with close attacking fields.

But Symmo was an average batsman full stop, White has been playing in the best first class competition for nearly 10 years and every year gets better and better, he is more than a one day player

But good on North having 3 test tons, Hughes has 2, where is he? North hasnt scored a hundred in nearly 10 test matches, Hodge went 3 matches without passing 100 before being dumped, ditto Hughes. North has never made double figures when the side is in trouble, what sort of player is that? Plus add in the sitters he drops at first slip, another area White kicks his ass in and what does North have in his favour? His rubbish part time spinners?

eddiesmith;385810 said:
But Symmo was an average batsman full stop, White has been playing in the best first class competition for nearly 10 years and every year gets better and better, he is more than a one day player

But good on North having 3 test tons, Hughes has 2, where is he? North hasnt scored a hundred in nearly 10 test matches, Hodge went 3 matches without passing 100 before being dumped, ditto Hughes. North has never made double figures when the side is in trouble, what sort of player is that? Plus add in the sitters he drops at first slip, another area White kicks his ass in and what does North have in his favour? His rubbish part time spinners?

In 2003 Roy averaged 56 in the Pura Cup. He also has an overall average of 42 after a number of years at it, with the first half of his career being rubbish, so he did really make up for it.

I would say they are very alike players. White may take some time before he can get his feet in Test cricket. I would prefer another season domestically and in the ODI side first.

But I guess you never know until you try. I'm neutral on this selection.

In a way I don't like him because he reminds me of Watson and has a very 'pretty boy' look and act about him :p

Boris;385865 said:
In 2003 Roy averaged 56 in the Pura Cup. He also has an overall average of 42 after a number of years at it, with the first half of his career being rubbish, so he did really make up for it.

I would say they are very alike players. White may take some time before he can get his feet in Test cricket. I would prefer another season domestically and in the ODI side first.

But I guess you never know until you try. I'm neutral on this selection.

Whatever may you look at it Andrew Symonds was a relative failure at test level bar the odd innings and bowling spell.

Looking on back at it we gave Symonds every chance to succeed at test level, but he just never really fulfilled his capability.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385907 said:
Whatever may you look at it Andrew Symonds was a relative failure at test level bar the odd innings and bowling spell.

Looking on back at it we gave Symonds every chance to succeed at test level, but he just never really fulfilled his capability.

Which is why I'm relating him to White. From what I have seen domestically and internationally so far he has a very similar playing style and roll amongst the team, and at Test level he will come in as a power hitting number 6, still very similar. You have to make sure that even though he is succeeding domestically, he isn't going to be similar to Symonds in that his Test career won't be as good.

Not sure if a power hitting number 6 is what we need, we have enough stroke makers in the team at the moment and Johnson is capable of belting the ball if your that way inclined.

I still think North should keep his spot for the first test in New Zealand, unless his shield form is absolutely diabolical. North really didn't get much of a hit this summer, didn't get a reasonable hit in Hobart, MCG was the same.

I like the look of that young left-hander from NSW and Steve Smith, in reality, all of those players as well as white would fill the position admirably but I just think it's hard to drop a guy who has scored 3 test tons in his first year of cricket.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385933 said:
Not sure if a power hitting number 6 is what we need, we have enough stroke makers in the team at the moment and Johnson is capable of belting the ball if your that way inclined.

I still think North should keep his spot for the first test in New Zealand, unless his shield form is absolutely diabolical. North really didn't get much of a hit this summer, didn't get a reasonable hit in Hobart, MCG was the same.

I like the look of that young left-hander from NSW and Steve Smith, in reality, all of those players as well as white would fill the position admirably but I just think it's hard to drop a guy who has scored 3 test tons in his first year of cricket.

That's fair enough, I like North quite a bit as well. Really in my personal team I would always have a powerhouse and number 6, I feel today's game needs that, but all in all I think North was a bit of a selection bungle to start with.

Give North New Zealand.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385933 said:

Usman Khawaja?

White is better than both atm. Khawaja will play Test cricket in his career, either for Australia or possibly Pakistan. I personally think he will play for Australia. Currently White is a better option than both. Steve Smith isn't good enough to bat in the top 6 at Test match level atm.

I'm not hailing White as a must-have selection just yet, but geez that slips-catching is something we could do with. He fields well anywhere actually. Like a class wicketkeeper, you really notice the difference when there's someone back there who can take the good catches consistently. Haven't seen that for a while.

Plus, his batting has developed an element of consistency at state and ODI level. We shall continue to watch with interest ...

Well we started slightly on the ODI thread, but best to move here

Siddle is out for NZ, Hilfenhaus is unlikely so do Harris and McKay head to NZ? Are there any other options? Geeves was around the squad earlier this summer but is also gone for the summer

If it is Harris and McKay, does McKay have the front running due to playing a test, or does his lack of wickets there see them try someone else?

ODI form doesnt really split them, Harris has done well in his 3 games, but you cant fault McKays performances, been good in all his ODIs and proved a great wicket taker. McKay has the massive advantage in first class cricket with an average of 26 to Harris 33 and some question Harris fitness levels with only 1 first class game this summer

But there is no suprise to see around that Harris is who alot of people want on the back of his couple of ODIs

I must admit I didn't really like the look of McKay on first inspection in India.

But the more I have seen of him the more I think he could do that Stuart Clark role of hitting a nagging length and getting a bit of seam movement either way at a steady pace.

He is also our tallest bowler at 1.94 metres so I think that is also another asset.

If he played I could see McKay getting amongst the wickets in New Zealand.

At this stage I think McKay should play in the first test in New Zealand.

Well then I suppose I would hazard Harris with a spot on tour and play in the tour match (if there is one?). See how he goes and select from there.

What about Dougie's fitness?

Playing in the ODIs this weekend so he should be fine, barring an injury sometime in the 50 ODIs and T20s they have before the tests start

Back