The Ashes 2017-18

Neville Young

Pattinson is out with a back stress fracture, a great pity because to me he was the pick of the bunch.
Starc and Hazelwood are both recovering from injuries. That leaves only Cummins, a bowler who has had a history of back injuries as the only fit fast bowler for Australia at this stage.
Who knows where Stokes will be for the Ashes?
An English leg spinner (shock, amazement) who has been coached by Stuart MacGill, played for New South Wales (even though it's north of Victoria) and will be keenly followed by many spin bowling devotees from this forum.
Wade looks like he will be replaced at this stage, any keeper who makes runs in the first 3 shield games will be in contention.
Whatever happens it will be a keenly fought contest.
I am really looking forward to the Boxing Day Test in Melbourne.

Last edited:
Mason Crane came to Sydney to play Grade Cricket. You would have to something special to get selected to play Shield Cricket for NSW as an overseas player. I would expect him to be given every opportunity to show his skills on the tour.

I was quite surprised when he turned out for nsw - was he their first overseas player since Imran Khan?

While he may turn into a decent bowler, at this stage his numbers speak volumes.

Back