The Cover Drive

Re: The Cover Drive

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jTe_3TFtDE]Here[/ame] is a masterclass by Michael Vaughan of the cover drive.

Re: The Cover Drive

It's a good watch actually, will come in handy, jus watching his one about the square drive aswell on natwest.com/cricket. He is my favourite player in the world to watch when on form, such a classy, exquisite player to watch, so technically sound, brilliant player.

Okay, the situation is this. I've been watching the videos and listening to all of the advice and it kind of makes sense to me, but I've also noticed that 95% of the time all the examples they show you on youtube are either throw downs or bowling machines, where the ball lands in the same place. That kind of looks to me as though that makes it a lot easier for the batsman in the examples? So my question is - what do you do if the ball is bowled shorter, do you make a quick decision to play another shot or should you adjust in some way? What's the advice for a learner, someone who doesn't bat that well? (Me).

Dave, I find the attached link helpful when coaching developing batters
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/skills/4177934.stm
not because it is definitive, but because it is a good starting place to work out what shots you have/need (I use a much simplified version) and then its a case of if the ball is in the 'right' area for a strong shot then play it, if not then make sure you have a defensive shot or can leave it. As batters progress they can then work out for themselves which areas they need to find shots for as a way of developing their own game.

Dave, I find the attached link helpful when coaching developing batters
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/skills/4177934.stm
not because it is definitive, but because it is a good starting place to work out what shots you have/need (I use a much simplified version) and then its a case of if the ball is in the 'right' area for a strong shot then play it, if not then make sure you have a defensive shot or can leave it. As batters progress they can then work out for themselves which areas they need to find shots for as a way of developing their own game.
Cheers Tony, not seen that before, not sure if it helps or just reinforces the sense that it's a lost cause! I think I just need to be more confident and move my feet more, recently with Joe I've been moving my feet a lot more and getting to the ball and being able to hit it rather than block or play back foot defensive shots. Have to see how it pans out this Tuesday.

Dave, I am always a bit hesitant about who I use that graphic with, its not intended to overwhelm you into choosing the 'right' shot, but does make a useful point that shot selection should be about playing the appropriate shot to any ball based on its line and length. Personally (and this is from someone who would always choose to coach bowling or fielding first) I think too much batting coaching is centred around 'the shot' and not enough about judgement of line and length and thus leading to shot selection. Appreciate they both have their place (no good being able to judge this is the ball to cover drive if you can't play the shot!) but its a question of balancing between the two, this might also explain why I would always want my batters facing a sidearm rather than a bowling machine which imo does very little to develop that shot selection ability.

Dave, I am always a bit hesitant about who I use that graphic with, its not intended to overwhelm you into choosing the 'right' shot, but does make a useful point that shot selection should be about playing the appropriate shot to any ball based on its line and length. Personally (and this is from someone who would always choose to coach bowling or fielding first) I think too much batting coaching is centred around 'the shot' and not enough about judgement of line and length and thus leading to shot selection. Appreciate they both have their place (no good being able to judge this is the ball to cover drive if you can't play the shot!) but its a question of balancing between the two, this might also explain why I would always want my batters facing a sidearm rather than a bowling machine which imo does very little to develop that shot selection ability.

If only I could get people to use a sidearm on me with that variation aspect to it. I've never face a bowling machine, it's reserved understandably for the kids, youths and first team players! I guess it's always going to be tough batting at 9, 10 or 11 when they've brought the fast bowlers back on. I'll just have to see how I do in the nets and then get back on here and report back as to how I do. In the short term I'm just looking to move my feet and get in line with the ball, what I've seen on youtube that I like the sounds of, is the advice to get your head in line with the ball as you step forwards to it and your feet with follow your head. I may have been more focused on what my feet were doing previously. I'm hoping that if I do that the drive might be on, but then if there's a shorter pitched ball I'll be able to block it and drop it short for a quick single and get off strike?

Yeah that didn't go that well, but at the same time I did manage to keep the ball out except for my younger son, he got me three times, he bowls on a horrible length. The main thing I found, was that I seem to be able to get the bat on the ball, but I have to wait ages to get a sense of what it's doing and then I hit it so late I smack it into the ground with little more that what constitutes a block. Any advice/ideas?

Back