The Cricket team in 1985.

• Thread starter adityamookerjee
  • Start date
A

adityamookerjee

The Cricket team in 1985.

How was the Australian cricket team during The Benson and Hedges World Championship of Cricket, rated? They were an unknown quantity to the Indian Public. Did Craig Mcdermott play the series?

Re: The Cricket team in 1985.

They weren't a bad side. Had some pretty good players in there for the series. Players such as Allan Border, Simon O'Donnell, Kepler Wessels, Andrew Hilditch, David Boon, Greame Wood and Rodney Hogg as well as others were a part of the team. Craig McDermott actually made his debut in this series, it was in the very first game against West Indies in Melbourne. The triangular series also involved Sri Lanka.

Australia ended up losing the series to West Indies, 2-1 in the finals.

Allan Border is a former Australian selector, Andrew Hilditch is currently the chairman of the Australian selectors, David Boon is a current Australian selector and Simon O'Donnell has been commentating on Channel 9 (Covers cricket in Australia) for many years and also hosts "The Cricket Show" which is shown during the lunch break of every test on Australian soil.

Simon O'donnell, was one of the better players in world cricket, in his playing days, and an excellent all rounder. He had a bowling action, which came easy to himself. What I really missed, though, was seeing him bat, a lot. I feel, he was a very capable batsman. Australia would do well to promote more players in the present like him.

adityamookerjee;207243 said:
Simon O'donnell, was one of the better players in world cricket, in his playing days, and an excellent all rounder. He had a bowling action, which came easy to himself. What I really missed, though, was seeing him bat, a lot. I feel, he was a very capable batsman. Australia would do well to promote more players in the present like him.

O'Donnell was a very handy lower order batsman who was a very clean striker of the ball (still has the second fastest 50 is ODI's).

O'Donnell was more of a bowling all-rounder, Australia has a couple of similar players. Brad Hogg could be classified as one of these players, he has both a test match 50 and a one-day 50 as well as having a first class hundred. Brett Lee has become slightly all-rounder-ish, his batting has become prety good over the last years however he is still predominantly a bowler.

I believe there is one other similar player in Australia and that is Luke Butterworth, who plays for Tasmania in Australian domestic cricket. Butterworth won the Pura Cup for Tasmania last season off his own bat as well as with the ball. It was a match-winning effort and one which saw him come of age. I believe that he will play for Australia in the future.

simon o'donnell is a dead set champion

* great all rounder
* one of the first one day bowlers to really use the change of pace to his advantage
* came back from cancer (lymphoma) to once again play for Australia
* and he's a Victorian

adityamookerjee;207035 said:
How was the Australian cricket team during The Benson and Hedges World Championship of Cricket, rated? They were an unknown quantity to the Indian Public. Did Craig Mcdermott play the series?

No they were not highly rated……...they beat England easily then got thrashed by India and Pakistan and didn’t even make the finals

these were the players that played

KC Wessels
RB Kerr
KJ Hughes
AR Border
DM Jones
WB Phillips
SP O'Donnell
GF Lawson
CJ McDermott
RJ McCurdy
TM Alderman