The Final

Re: The Final

It is too early to tell after one match. You can't talk about consistency that way. Not in this format.

England deserved the win, they outplayed on all fronts the Aussies. Unfortunately doing so well as to get to the final after bumbling around last year probably means that Clarkey's complete unsuitability for this format will go unquestioned again. Today was his best innings by far of the tournament and it was a 27 off 27 balls. He is incapable of being of any real use in any situation. The shame is that he is a good captain, but he's a liability.

Ljp86;400000 said:
Who you bagged before the tournament started saying he was the most expendable batsman in the Australian line-up. ;)

Actually i said Watson is the most expendable then probably Hussey which he is, it just shows how important alot of the players are and when Haddin and Clarke are taking up 2 spots and then you have the selectors favourite in Watson, realistically Hussey is next on the list but that was a hypothetical, I was actually very supportive of Hussey playing and wanted him in the team. If picking Australias best side, the Hussey brothers, White and Warner are the only ones who would remain of the top 7

Ljp86;400000 said:
Hardly. Saeed Ajmal is one of the best spinners in Twenty20 cricket at the moment. Before the game against Australia, Saeed Ajmal's career economy rate was below six an over and had an average of around 13, which ranks up there with Vettori as one of the most economical and best bowlers in T20 cricket, even better than Graeme Swann.

Hussey played a one of those rare innings you don't see often, pure strokeplay at it's finest. No bowler would have stopped him in that final over.

A decent pace bowler would have, it was just poor bowling, every ball was put in the perfect spot to hit for 6

Good call Eddie, got it right.

As cricinfo put it:

Australia have gone from this:
8524.jpg

To this:
117361.2.jpg

No Clarke actually cares... in that photo Ponting is laughing on the inside. Ponting never has, never will, give a stuff about T20, and rightly so.

In that picture with McGrath above was the first T20 Australia played, against New Zealand. There was 4 to get off the last ball and McGrath jokingly went to underarm it down the pitch, before stopping (much to the delight of Billy Bowden, who looks like he's about to explode). That's what Australia thought about T20s. They went out on the ground wired up to microphones, music blaring, partying, laughing, not caring. This time round the team is devastated they lost.

Little bit of a difference I might say. Like the old version better though, so much more entertaining :D

Boris;400105 said:
No Clarke actually cares... in that photo Ponting is laughing on the inside. Ponting never has, never will, give a stuff about T20, and rightly so.

In that picture with McGrath above was the first T20 Australia played, against New Zealand. There was 4 to get off the last ball and McGrath jokingly went to underarm it down the pitch, before stopping (much to the delight of Billy Bowden, who looks like he's about to explode). That's what Australia thought about T20s. They went out on the ground wired up to microphones, music blaring, partying, laughing, not caring. This time round the team is devastated they lost.

Little bit of a difference I might say. Like the old version better though, so much more entertaining :D

Best pair I've ever heard miked up was Gilly and Symo.

Funny and sharp both of them. I can't imagine too many other people being actually interesting during a game like Gilly was. (sob)

Beeswax;400116 said:
Best pair I've ever heard miked up was Gilly and Symo.

Funny and sharp both of them. I can't imagine too many other people being actually interesting during a game like Gilly was. (sob)

Definitely.

I would pay more money to watch a T20 exhibition no strings attached hit around about having fun (much like the Australia vs All Stars at the start of the season - love that match, especially with the old guys coming back) with players miked up, than watching two weeks of the boring same old that the WC delivers.

This was the best WC out of all of them as everyone was fairly close and it wasn't just lottery matches, you could make predictions and get it right for once, and the skill level was very high.

Problem was, you can't take this format seriously. You laugh, then be amazed at a Hussey Innings like the other night, then go to sleep before the end of the game.

Boris;400119 said:
Definitely.

I would pay more money to watch a T20 exhibition no strings attached hit around about having fun (much like the Australia vs All Stars at the start of the season - love that match, especially with the old guys coming back) with players miked up, than watching two weeks of the boring same old that the WC delivers.

This was the best WC out of all of them as everyone was fairly close and it wasn't just lottery matches, you could make predictions and get it right for once, and the skill level was very high.

Problem was, you can't take this format seriously. You laugh, then be amazed at a Hussey Innings like the other night, then go to sleep before the end of the game.

It's unfortunate, I'm not sure that people even get miked up for 20/20 anymore, they take it so seriously and it was one of the great things about it.

Then again, being top flight sportsmen, hardly any of them would have the charm to carry it off for any length of time. They'd probably just prove themselves tossers.

Beeswax;400146 said:
It's unfortunate, I'm not sure that people even get miked up for 20/20 anymore, they take it so seriously and it was one of the great things about it.

Then again, being top flight sportsmen, hardly any of them would have the charm to carry it off for any length of time. They'd probably just prove themselves tossers.

No we will probably not see it very much, if at all in the future.

It's a difference of cultures mostly, places like England and India the media snuffled it up and made it a serious competition. In Australia Channel Nine made it for pure entertainment's sake, nothing serious. Which is why the mikes were introduced, haven't seen it in any coverage but channel nine.

I love the time Roy was questioned over his captaincy skills. He had announced that he wasn't against himself going for the captaincy position in the ODI/T20 team (only a dream now), and then said something like "It's not my problem the field placings, I just listen to where I have to go." Then Healy said something like "But you do want the captaincy, don't you?"... And then Symonds couldn't work out what to say next. Good quality stuff.

Boris;400182 said:
No we will probably not see it very much, if at all in the future.

It's a difference of cultures mostly, places like England and India the media snuffled it up and made it a serious competition. In Australia Channel Nine made it for pure entertainment's sake, nothing serious. Which is why the mikes were introduced, haven't seen it in any coverage but channel nine.

I love the time Roy was questioned over his captaincy skills. He had announced that he wasn't against himself going for the captaincy position in the ODI/T20 team (only a dream now), and then said something like "It's not my problem the field placings, I just listen to where I have to go." Then Healy said something like "But you do want the captaincy, don't you?"... And then Symonds couldn't work out what to say next. Good quality stuff.

Did you hear when in a match against the Kiwis, Roy was waiting to bowl and they were STILL asking him questions and he said something like 'I'll answer that when I get this big b**tard out'. It was Jake Oram batting. Gilly immediately said, 'Oh no, Roy, you didn't, did you?' And Roy said 'Oh, oh, sorry mum.'

God I laughed when I heard that.

Beeswax;400186 said:
Did you hear when in a match against the Kiwis, Roy was waiting to bowl and they were STILL asking him questions and he said something like 'I'll answer that when I get this big b**tard out'. It was Jake Oram batting. Gilly immediately said, 'Oh no, Roy, you didn't, did you?' And Roy said 'Oh, oh, sorry mum.'

God I laughed when I heard that.

Hahaha that's brilliant.

Also one of Gilly's comments last All Stars match with Warne bowling and also miked up. Warne was describing the balls he was going to bowl next and what they were meant to be, then the crossed to Gilly and asked him what he thought of Warne's plan. He replied with "I'm not worried about the plan, I'm just wondering why we hadn't thought of miking him up before. That way I could tell what the hell he was doing."

Could do this all day.

Hi! Am new to this forum, and I can see that this forum is one of the very active forums on the topic. Am sure I will be able to get some really interesting information here.

Back