The Haider affair

Haider has retired from international cricket due to him fearing for his life. Apparently he was supposed to do a "few things" during the 4th ODI against South Africa but didn't do so and has now fled to the UK while he is seeking exile. His family has also received death threats as well.

This further proves how much of a joke Pakistan cricket has become.

I can't believe people are blaming him for fleeing rather than going to his coach or the PCB. I mean, has everyone forgotten what happened to Woolmer? I wouldn't be taking chances either.

Yeah. I was reading players don't like going to the ICC either because even though it's meant to be confidential, their names always end up in the papers somehow... A lot needs doing to clamp down on this sort of thing.

Look for me there are some questions: Haider has had disciplinary problems when involved with the PCB.. so that immediately made me think about this situation in some more detail. The fact that he decides to leave the middle east and go to the UK and ask for asylum does imply the enormity of the situation. I must agree with @thewrongun and also hope that the ICC and PCB play a proactive role in trying to resolve the issue. Cricket cannot be dealing with this black cloud for much longer...

It is really getting to the point where you have to question whether any match involving Pakistan can be taken seriously. When you think back to series like the classic 1977-78 Pakistan tour of the West Indies it just breaks your heart to think about how far they've fallen.

I agree with that and as South Africa is currently playing them.. I must admit when a string of wickets fall .. I immediately think "I hope this is not a bookie thing ".. I dont think the public should ever be put in a position should question the legitimacy of events on the field..

Back