The Health Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie

Staff member
Richie here. I try to stay away from fatty, salty and sugary food after having a brush with Diabetes 2 a few years back. If I can control what I eat then I eat relatively healthily. Unfortunately, so much of those three nasties as well as the unhealthiest in saturated fat and trans fat can be found in processed food and there is so much processed food on the market. comments

Last edited:
Same here, I like to watch what I eat, I indulge sometimes in our fave dish of fish and chips, but not very often as it's very greasy.

Fish is specially healthy and there is no shortage as I live on the worlds largest island. Any wonder I am a seafoodaholic. Crustaceans such as Crabs and Lobsters or a well cooked portion of crumbed Barramundi or Cod and I am in heaven. I recall as a child how a friend and I hunted Yabbies in a creek down by the railway tracks. Any we found mum cooked that evening. Delicious eating.
A Yabbie is a miniature lobster. (see below)
1600722463619.png

Last edited:
I found giving away white sugar rather difficult at first as I was born with a sweet tooth. Shortly after my D2 diagnosis I discovered a natural alternative grown in the South American rain forest.. Stevia. Now I use this to sweeten my tea and coffee. More and more manufacturers are also now sweetening their confectionery and soft drinks with Stevia.

Yeah mate, reackon we've all got a sweet tooth - I suppose it comes down to us to at least trying to reduce sugar as much as possible, I put honey in my coffee & tea... never heard of Stevia ? sounds like a good substitute for sugar.

I usually have takeaways like pizza or fish & chips etc about once every 2 weeks... whatever you have to eat it's about moderation.

Yes moderation is the secret word. Honey as a sweetener. Have you seen how much sugar is in a jar of honey. It may be natural but sorry to say it still gives a big spike to your blood sugar mate. My missus does the same.. I tell her the same but she dont listen. You will find Stevia sweetens Coke sugar free on the NZ market Mal. I am still waiting for Coke to start selling it here in Oz....

Last edited:
Honey is probably a little bit better to take than sugar though, but not much diff.

Don't enjoy the sugar free coke mate, reckons it tastes like the inside of Fred Daggs gumboot 😉 Stevia sounds really good, will have a look for some.

Honey is probably a little bit better to take than sugar though, but not much diff.

Don't enjoy the sugar free coke mate, reckons it tastes like the inside of Fred Daggs gumboot 😉 Stevia sounds really good, will have a look for some.
That gave me a chuckle mate. Do you often suck on the inside of Fred Dagg's gumboot? 😉 There are a couple of sugar free varieties. One has the artificial sweetener while the green can or green label bottle is the Stevia sweetened one.

While I remember Mal The Great Outdoors is another funny John Candy film. So look out for downloads for that & Summer Rental.

Fish is specially healthy and there is no shortage as I live on the worlds largest island. Any wonder I am a seafoodaholic. Crustaceans such as Crabs and Lobsters or a well cooked portion of crumbed Barramundi or Cod and I am in heaven. I recall as a child how a friend and I hunted Yabbies in a creek down by the railway tracks. Any we found mum cooked that evening. Delicious eating.
A Yabbie is a small lobster. (see below)
View attachment 617
Are Yabbies similar to prawns? I recall Bush Tucker Man setting hand made traps to catch Yabbies, he then boiled them up in a pan of rice, it looked delicious.
I've never tried crab, just the name puts me off. Lol.🙂

Yes moderation is the secret word. Honey as a sweetener. Have you seen how much sugar is in a jar of honey. It may be natural but sorry to say it still gives a big spike to your blood sugar mate. My missus does the same.. I tell her the same but she dont listen. You will find Stevia sweetens Coke sugar free on the NZ market Mal. I am still waiting for Coke to start selling it here in Oz....
Never drink Diet Coke guys, it has a sweetener in it called Aspartame, Google it so you'll see for yourselves how harmful it can be.

Fred Daggs Gumboot! Hahaha! 😆
That's hilarious!

Are Yabbies similar to prawns? I recall Bush Tucker Man setting hand made traps to catch Yabbies, he then boiled them up in a pan of rice, it looked delicious.
I've never tried crab, just the name puts me off. Lol.🙂
No as the pic shows they belong to the lobster family. You dont know what you have missed if you have never eaten crab... yummy.

No as the pic shows they belong to the lobster family. You dont know what you have missed if you have never eaten crab... yummy.
I've never tried lobster either, just mainly cod, manx kippers (when I went to the Isle Of Man), cockles, shrimps, tuna and scallops.
I love my veggies, especially as it's autumn here now, I always stock up on veggies so I can make a pan of stew if the weather is bad outside and I can't go shopping.

A Yabbie is a miniature lobster. (see below)
View attachment 617
Can remember us looking for Yabbies in the creek as well in the bush... we call them Crawlies though.

Some of our shellfish are... Bluff Oysters - Paua - mussels
& fish like, Blue Cod - Snapper - Travally - Salmon
Our bigger lobster the Crayfish is superb eating... they vary in size depending what part of NZ they're found in.

Crayfish 2..jpg Crayfisf 1..jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back