The Lounge 2

Which sports Thomas? I reckon young people sports have been well represented.. too well in fact. All those winter skateboarding events and now there is general skateboarding, climbing, BMX.. all aimed at a young audience. As long as these are not taking away more traditional sports. Personally I'd be disappointed if sports such as rowing, archery or cross country equestrian were to be replaced by additional specific young people sports.
I meant those that you mentioned. Let's not forget that they are represented now but didn't use to be. That's why young people complained. The bad news is that it will have to be a replacement process to the detriment of some traditional sports because otherwise the Olympic programme would sooner or later be blown out of proportion. Just think of all those new events for women plus mixed events. So far, though, I can't think of a sport that had to go.
If that were the case, then I'd be in favour of cancelling those traditional sports for which being an Olympic champion is just an additional "nice -to-have" thing but, basically, is not considered more important than being a world champion as in the case of soccer. Also for tennis players winning Wimbledon or achieving a real Grand Slam always beats an Olympic victory. They don't need those events.

Last edited:
more important than being a world champion as in the case of soccer. Also for tennis players winning Wimbledon or achieving a real Grand Slam always beats an Olympic victory. They don't need those events.
You really believe that. I reckon adding an Olympic Gold Medal to other achievements in those sports is like the cherry on the top of the cake..

You really believe that. I reckon adding an Olympic Gold Medal to other achievements in those sports is like the cherry on the top of the cake..
I do. That's what I meant by saying it's "nice to have" but will always be second-best, won't it. Have you ever heard soccer or tennis players (and we can probably add golfers as well) mention that they won an Olympic Gold Medal? I haven't. But what is always mentioned is that they are/were world champion, won a Grand Slam oder The Masters.
Is cricket actually an Olympic disciplin?😎

Michael Phelps by a country mile. Reckon Ian Thorpe may have been second on the swimming list had he not retired after two Olympics.

Last edited:
Trivia: croquet, cricket, Jeu de Paume, pelota, polo, roque, rackets, tug-of-war, lacrosse, baseball, softball, and motor boating.

These sports have been removed over the years. Interesting to see cricket among them. I'd like to see motor boating return... and polo and cricket of course. T20.

Michael Phelps by a country mile. Reckon Ian Thorpe may have been second on the swimming list had he not retired after two Olympics.
I thought the most Gold Medals were won by Mark Spitz, a Russian , and track and field athletes like Carl Lewis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Knew Phelps was well ahead of anyone else in the medal count, didn't realize though he has won an astonishing 23 Gold medals - I suppose with all the different events that swimming has there's a better chance to win more medals in it than in any other sports at the Olympics... but you still need the stamina to compete in a lot of events & there's no doubt that Phelps had incredible stamina.

Last edited:
Trivia: croquet, cricket, Jeu de Paume, pelota, polo, roque, rackets, tug-of-war, lacrosse, baseball, softball, and motor boating.

These sports have been removed over the years. Interesting to see cricket among them. I'd like to see motor boating return... and polo and cricket of course. T20.
With Rugby Sevens at the Olympics you'd think that 20/20 cricket should be there as well.

Back