The Lounge 2

Any cake-eaters here?
Last week my SiL came over from southern France for the first time in 13 years. We went for a walk and stopped at our nearby beer garden in the marina. I asked her what she was enjoying most after that long absence and she said: a cappa and cake in the afternoon. It surprised me a bit and I wanted to know why. Her answer was no less surprising since she said in France there was no cake as we know it here. There's cream pie, something like sweets , biscuits, but no fruit pie like plum cake, cheese cake, nor other kinds of cake. Not even the frozen food sections in supermarkets offer it.

What's it like in AUS and elsewhere? Does anyone like cake? What do you have with your afternoon tea or coffee?

Any cake-eaters here?
Last week my SiL came over from southern France for the first time in 13 years. We went for a walk and stopped at our nearby beer garden in the marina. I asked her what she was enjoying most after that long absence and she said: a cappa and cake in the afternoon. It surprised me a bit and I wanted to know why. Her answer was no less surprising since she said in France there was no cake as we know it here. There's cream pie, something like sweets , biscuits, but no fruit pie like plum cake, cheese cake, nor other kinds of cake. Not even the frozen food sections in supermarkets offer it.

What's it like in AUS and elsewhere? Does anyone like cake? What do you have with your afternoon tea or coffee?
Then you Germans must be healthier than other nations as cakes contain far too much sugar and saturated fat. I am smart, only eat sugar free cakes, a local brand NOSHU. They may even export, so keep an eye out Thomas, you too Jessica. I also eat sugar free biscuits made by Spanish company GULLON.

Any cake-eaters here?

We have an obese epidemic here! Brits are known for being greedy and indulge in all kinds of unhealthy foods. Cakes are readily available and cheap here, egg custard tarts, jam tarts, jam doughnuts, Victoria sponge cake. I have the occasional iced ring doughnut or a yum yum but I hardly eat cakes 😇

Then you Germans must be healthier than other nations as cakes contain far too much sugar and saturated fat. I am smart, only eat sugar free cakes, a local brand NOSHU. They may even export, so keep an eye out Thomas, you too Jessica. I also eat sugar free biscuits made by Spanish company GULLON.
Good for you Richie 👍
I remember you telling me about these biscuits.

We have an obese epidemic here! Brits are known for being greedy and indulge in all kinds of unhealthy foods. Cakes are readily available and cheap here, egg custard tarts, jam tarts, jam doughnuts, Victoria sponge cake. I have the occasional iced ring doughnut or a yum yum but I hardly eat cakes 😇
Saint Jessica 😇

Any cake-eaters here?

Sixty years ago as a boy I went on a holiday to France with my parents and indulged in gateau fraise a lot. Strawberry cake.
Times change though and I tend to avoid sweet things but confess to enjoying some carrot and walnut cake last night. That's one of the healthier options with an array of cakes staring at me on supermarket shelves. Chocholate mud cakes, pavlovas, cheese cakes, glazed donuts, sugar rich Anzac biscuits, desert buns, more chocolate everything, ....
Two thirds of us Aussies are overweight or obese like other western cultures. We love eating rubbish to our detriment. Now even having to take the diabetic drug ozempic to lose weight.
My bmi (body mass index) puts me on the border of normal to overweight. I blame the nuts I eat and my occassional blowouts.
I hear the Scots like thier deep fried battered frozen mars bars.🤯

Never heard of Noshu cakes in my Coles Craig nor seen them but they may be in the cobwebbed heaith food isle. I've put it on my shopping list and will have a look avoiding the spiders. Thanks for the heads up.

Sixty years ago as a boy I went on a holiday to France with my parents and indulged in gateau fraise a lot. Strawberry cake.
Times change though and I tend to avoid sweet things but confess to enjoying some carrot and walnut cake last night. That's one of the healthier options with an array of cakes staring at me on supermarket shelves. Chocholate mud cakes, pavlovas, cheese cakes, glazed donuts, sugar rich Anzac biscuits, desert buns, more chocolate everything, ....
Two thirds of us Aussies are overweight or obese like other western cultures. We love eating rubbish to our detriment. Now even having to take the diabetic drug ozempic to lose weight.
My bmi (body mass index) puts me on the border of normal to overweight. I blame the nuts I eat an

d my occassional blowouts.
I hear the Scots like thier deep fried battered frozen mars bars.🤯
You're right about the Scots, they usually batter their mars bars before deep frying 😮
I could never eat anything like that. I did try a battered deep fried sausage once, I felt sick after it 🤢
I once heard that when you're having a meal, say a roast dinner with all the trimmings, have lots of veg instead of an extra roast potato, that's what I usually do, so I enjoy a roast dinner but don't eat too much fatty stuff 🤗

That deep fried battered sausage with tomato sauce is not my cup of tea! I could eat a half without the sauce but feel it might hit my stomach with a thud, like deep fried gease soaked kcf chook.

My alternative is simpler and healthier.
I get puff pastry and very lean chicken sausages with low salt and only 5% fat. Cheep too. Cheap. 😄
I wrap them up in the pastry with chillis, a little cheese and garlic then air fry them until golden brown. Simple, healthy and tasty.

And Richie knows that I have Australian clothes, too.
Must've forgotten you telling me that Thomas. Australia used to have a thriving textile industry before tariffs made imports cheaper. There is a new manufacturing push that should create far more local production, including in the textile industry .

Last edited:
Back