The Lounge

Mila the smiley lady left me a wish and a gift. Nothing from my West Aussie mate tho. I dont post on there any more. except to talk to a few friends.
What forum is that Richie? I wouldn't mind joining another one. This forum is great but sometimes I am the only one online, and I haven't made any friends, just you and Thomas 😆

Don't we suffice, B BettyBoo Jessica? ;)

I was going to ask you how you actually cope with London traffic? Is it all routine or do you need a nav to find your way? Do you sometimes cross London Bridge with your van? What about parking? How long does it take you to get to work in the morning? What is the earliest and the latest time you start or finish work? 🤗

What forum is that Richie? I wouldn't mind joining another one. This forum is great but sometimes I am the only one online, and I haven't made any friends, just you and Thomas 😆
Buzz 50s.. as name implies it is for 50 and over members. You can always say you are 50.. doubt Mila (owner) will check. Thomas may have more of a idea on that. Dont you go leaving us tho if you find another forum 🤗

Buzz 50s.. as name implies it is for 50 and over members. You can always say you are 50.. doubt Mila (owner) will check. Thomas may have more of a idea on that. Dont you go leaving us tho if you find another forum 🤗
I'll check it out 🤗
Are you and Thomas both there?
I'll still stay on this forum, I'm not deserting my friends 🙂

Don't we suffice, B BettyBoo Jessica? ;)

I was going to ask you how you actually cope with London traffic? Is it all routine or do you need a nav to find your way? Do you sometimes cross London Bridge with your van? What about parking? How long does it take you to get to work in the morning? What is the earliest and the latest time you start or finish work? 🤗
I live in Lancashire Thomas, I have been to London many times though and I was there during the 7/7 terrorist attacks, it was mayhem I can tell you.
I've been over Tower Bridge many times. I work 8hr shifts, I do some overtime too as the extra money helps heat my home during winter, I do have Sat Nav but I know my rounds like the back of my hand now🤗
I start work at 8am and finish at 4pm, during the national lockdown I finished much later.

I live in Lancashire Thomas, I have been to London many times though and I was there during the 7/7 terrorist attacks, it was mayhem I can tell you.
I've been over Tower Bridge many times. I work 8hr shifts, I do some overtime too as the extra money helps heat my home during winter, I do have Sat Nav but I know my rounds like the back of my hand now🤗
I start work at 8am and finish at 4pm, during the national lockdown I finished much later.
Many thanks, Jessica. What made me think you'd live in London? Not a clue.

My arm and elbow were a bit sore after the second jab but that's expected.
Mine too. I made a point of having it in my least active arm. Did you. Still I suppose being a lorry driver It'd not matter as you have to use both arms simultaneously 8 hours every day.

Last edited:
Thomas I recall you posting that you grew up in Communist East Germany. I did not know that as you told me only that now you live in East Germany . So in fact you have lived in the same part of Germany but under two separate regimes. Interesting.

Thomas I recall you posting that you grew up in Communist East Germany. I did not know that as you told me only that now you live in East Germany . So in fact you have lived in the same part of Germany but under two separate regimes. Interesting.
Exactly right. That's why I titled my memoirs "A life between milleniums and political systems".

This forum is great but sometimes I am the only one online, and I haven't made any friends, just you and Thomas
Funny, isn't it, that you are trying to make friends by looking for them in as far away places as AUS 🤗 when you could also find them in your own country. Did you never think of the obvious? To some extent it's the same with me. After having been a member of online fora for 20 years there was a point when I got so tired of German fora that I began to look elsewhere. The problem with same-country fora is that almost everything is so predictable. In most cases you know how people tick, what and why they are gonna say something because all of them feed off the same German news channels only and it shows. I find it much more interesting to explore what people from other countries think rather than having a Germany-centred perspective only. It's good that even UK-centred fora include a fair number of people from all over the world, mostly from them US admittedly.

Funny, isn't it, that you are trying to make friends by looking for them in as far away places as AUS 🤗 when you could also find them in your own country. Did you never think of the obvious? To some extent it's the same with me. After having been a member of online fora for 20 years there was a point when I got so tired of German fora that I began to look elsewhere. The problem with same-country fora is that almost everything is so predictable. In most cases you know how people tick, what and why they are gonna say something because all of them feed off the same German news channels only and it shows. I find it much more interesting to explore what people from other countries think rather than having a Germany-centred perspective only. It's good that even UK-centred fora include a fair number of people from all over the world, mostly from them US admittedly.
If I make friends in my country they may pester me to meet up with them, I don't really want any of that, plus making foreign friends is more interesting, I like to know about different lifestyles and cultures 🤗
It would be nice to make some female friends too.

Mine too. I made a point of having it in my least active arm. Did you. Still I suppose being a lorry driver It'd not matter as you have to use both arms simultaneously 8 hours every day.
I had my second in my left, I'm just glad I'm double jabbed now, it gives a sense of peace of mind but still taking precautions.

Heartbreaking scenes coming out of Afghanistan, women holding up their babies for the UK and US soldiers to rescue, people being beaten with sticks, whips and sharp objects.

BoJo has vowed to take in refugees, the first plane load arrived at our RAF airbase, collections of clothes and toiletries have already begun, I've promised to donate nappies, soaps and sponges.

Heartbreaking scenes coming out of Afghanistan, women holding up their babies for the UK and US soldiers to rescue, people being beaten with sticks, whips and sharp objects.

BoJo has vowed to take in refugees, the first plane load arrived at our RAF airbase, collections of clothes and toiletries have already begun, I've promised to donate nappies, soaps and sponges.
Good for you Jessica. Sco Mo too has promised to repatriate as many of out Afghan helpers as possible. Taliban seem to be keeping their word about allowing Afghans to have safe passage out. Has the tyrannical, religious extremist regime changed. If they allow women to retain their current freedoms then perhaps their firm leadership is precisely what Afghanistan needs as the past govt were spineless.

It took a while before Germany's rescue operation gained momentum. Now we've flown out about 3,000 people.
What annoys me is all the arms fallen into the hands of the Taliban. While it was clear from the outset and had always been part of Washington's and the Pentagon's scenarios because that number of heavy equipment could never have been transferred back to the States I wonder why those arms were not blown up.
We're talking about 600 armoured vehicles Type M1117, about 8,500 Humvees, 150 „MaxxPro“, 100,000 military enhanced Toyota Hilux und Ford Ranger, plus 68 combat helis MD 500 „Defender“, 16 „Blackhawk“, four C-130 „Hercules“. Apart from those the Taliban also own more than 100 Russian helis (Mi-17 und Mi-24) as well as 1,000 armoured vehicles and tanks of Soviet origin. They also found several US high-tech "Scan-Eagle" drones and face-recognition systems which they are now using to detect activists seeking shelter in save houses. We can only hope that many of those arms become dated and can't be used due to spareparts and the necessary training lacking.

The lesson to be learnt from all this clearly is for the West to stop trying to bring freedom by military intervention to other countries which despise western values and political systems. It has never worked neither in Asia nor in Africa. Foreigners are the actual problem in these countries, not the solution. As Biden said, in the end the majority of people in those countries will always be loyal to their own people, beliefs, and governments as 300,000 Afghan soldiers have demonstrated. Such a policy will imply, however, that the West should not revert back to its old ways when the next crisis in other countries comes but should rather rely on diplomatic channels exclusively but then energetically.

It took a while before Germany's rescue operation gained momentum. Now we've flown out about 3,000 people.
What annoys me is all the arms fallen into the hands of the Taliban. While it was clear from the outset and had always been part of Washington's and the Pentagon's scenarios because that number of heavy equipment could never have been transferred back to the States I wonder why those arms were not blown up.
We're talking about 600 armoured vehicles Type M1117, about 8,500 Humvees, 150 „MaxxPro“, 100,000 military enhanced Toyota Hilux und Ford Ranger, plus 68 combat helis MD 500 „Defender“, 16 „Blackhawk“, four C-130 „Hercules“. Apart from those the Taliban also own more than 100 Russian helis (Mi-17 und Mi-24) as well as 1,000 armoured vehicles and tanks of Soviet origin. They also found several US high-tech "Scan-Eagle" drones and face-recognition systems which they are now using to detect activists seeking shelter in save houses. We can only hope that many of those arms become dated and can't be used due to spareparts and the necessary training lacking.

The lesson to be learnt from all this clearly is for the West to stop trying to bring freedom by military intervention to other countries which despise western values and political systems. It has never worked neither in Asia nor in Africa. Foreigners are the actual problem in these countries, not the solution. As Biden said, in the end the majority of people in those countries will always be loyal to their own people, beliefs, and governments as 300,000 Afghan soldiers have demonstrated. Such a policy will imply, however, that the West should not revert back to its old ways when the next crisis in other countries comes but should rather rely on diplomatic channels exclusively but then energetically.
I haven't got knowledge of the politics of Afghanistan, all I care about is those that want to be rescued are rescued, when you hear about a toddler being crushed to death in the panic, and young girls and women being rounded up to be used as sex slaves, if they want out then I wish them luck on their journey out 🤗

Back