The Music Recommendation Thread

Caesar

The Music Recommendation Thread

I was looking at my music purchases from 2009 the other day, and made a chilling realisation - I am starting to get old.

I mean sure, it's not like I'm collecting golden oldies - I'm still buying current releases from current artists (e.g. Eskimo Joe's Inshalla). But most years I also pick up at least a few newish bands. In 2009, only one album I purchased was from a 'new' group - The Temper Trap's debut.

I think it's probably a combination of getting out of the uni pub scene and (probably the biggest factor) not really listening to JJJ that much any more. Whatever the reason, I'm hugely out of touch with what's out there and new. I'm not ready to stop discovering new music yet.

So - this is a thread for recommendations of new stuff people have come across. Doesn't have to be indie-pretentious crap, but if it's top 40 or was on last year's JJJ Hottest 100 CD then it probably isn't going to be news to anyone.

I'll kick it off - I've heard good things about Art vs Science's EP, so I'm keen to get a copy of their debut album when it's released this year. Anyone else recommend anybody new, who's suddenly got known in the last 12 months?

Re: The Music Recommendation Thread

A few of the bands I've been listening to lately:

Late of the pier
YouTube - Late Of The Pier - Heartbeat
English band, debut album was released late last year to reasonable reception. Kind of psychadelic dance-punk (a bit like the Klaxons).

The Rapture
YouTube - The Rapture - The Devil
Not really a new band (last release was 2006), but I've started getting into them in the last few months. Dancey-pop with synthesizers all over the shop.

Tokyo Police Club
YouTube - Tokyo Police Club - Elephant Shell - Juno
Been around for a couple of years, but released their first LP last year. Downbeat indie rock in a similar vein to The Strokes.

Kasabian
YouTube - Kasabian - Vlad the Impaler
Been a fan for a few years, but their third album, released last year, is a gem. You would probably recognise their song 'underdog' from those Sony ads with the soccer players doing tricks.

IMO 2009 was a pretty poor year for music, as evidenced by Mumford and Sons' dreadful 'Little Lion Man' winning the JJJ Top 100. Looking forward to Art vs Science's LP this year, as well Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's new album, which should be a cracker.

Art Vs Science are just epic. Hopefully will get to see them soooon.

I am liking Little Red, Mumford and Sons are solid, Glasvegas and Yeah yeah yeahs

Parlez-Vous Francais is my favourite song atm, the clip is pure genius.

Philadelphia Grand Jury are good too. Same drummer, well formerly. :p

May be some old bands, but Pearl Jam's new album is worth a shout, as are the first two songs released from the Smashing Pumpkins Teargarden by Kaleidyscope.

Nothing wrong with Little Lion Man either. Very catch song, I love it.

I'd guess that you don't like Alternative Metal. But if you do, then Avenged Sevenfold's 2005 album "City of Evil" is fantastic.

I've also been getting back in to Steel Panther's "Feel the Steel" too :D

Them Crooked Vultures.

Have Dave Grohl and can't remember the other two but they are prominant players in other big bands

Yves Klein Blue. You'd recognize them from the Mitsubishi Lancer ad where two people are throwing stuff into the boot from a window, but they have better songs than that.

YouTube - Getting Wise

Got their album Ragged & Ecstatic a month back, it's pretty good, very up beat and majorly catchy.

Also, Bluejuice's new album Head of the Hawk is quality.

Yeah and the Parlez Vous Francias clip is amazing.

D.K;385715 said:
Them Crooked Vultures.

Have Dave Grohl and can't remember the other two but they are prominant players in other big bands

Josh Homme - Queens of the Stone Age frontman
and John Paul Jones - Led Zep

very good band IMO

i quite like angels and airwaves newest LP probably be their last for a while with blink reforming

john mayer's new album is good too.

Oasis are always on high rotation - everyone slags them off but these guys even after all these years blow the competition away when it comes to guitar music, they may have split, but they will reunite. Get all their albums.

Kasabian - good band but their discography is a pile of crap.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;386085 said:
Oasis are always on high rotation - everyone slags them off but these guys even after all these years blow the competition away when it comes to guitar music, they may have split, but they will reunite. Get all their albums.

Not this time, apparently. :(

Got all 9 albums plus about 50 b-sides and demos

a for effort;386117 said:
Not this time, apparently. :(

Got all 9 albums plus about 50 b-sides and demos

My mate had a ticket to a show in the UK. 2 days after they broke up. He was a little shattered.

Really getting into the Temper Trap, quality outfit. Even if there main following would be shielas, still goes alright :)

You Me At Six are a fantastic band from Weybridge (about 5 miles down the road!).

They recently released their second studio album, Hold Me Down which has their single The Consequence in it. I usually don't like this type of indie-style music but I would recommend this album.

Back