The next big Aust test transition

Re: The next big Aust test transition

Beeswax;398231 said:
You know he only has 5 tons at first class level? That doesn't sound mentally strong to me. He's also injury prone, however, I really like watching him bat, he is a really lovely shot maker. Lefties usually make it look easy somehow, well, apart from Kat.... and North.... and Shiv can be fairly sticky at times, scratch that.

Marsh is a late bloomer. Those 5 centuries have been scored pretty quickly.

Boris;398272 said:
Marsh is a late bloomer. Those 5 centuries have been scored pretty quickly.

I'm a Warriors fan, and even so, I think that Khawaja has far better concentration levels than Marsh. He isn't a late bloomer either.

Beeswax;398556 said:
I'm a Warriors fan, and even so, I think that Khawaja has far better concentration levels than Marsh. He isn't a late bloomer either.

Yep, that's a pretty good point.

Only thing I don't like about him really (apart from his stupid name :p) is that he isn't very consistent.

Also does he seem like a 100 or nothing player to you?

I had to go looking up the stats on that one. Let's say he has a good conversion rate.

Mind you, being all or nothing is one of the things I most hold against Marcus North so I am possibly being a little inconsistent here. But then again, I don't like the Aussies so readily turning to 30 year olds when they could try giving more youngsters (more than just slash and burn Hughes anyway) a shot at the big time in the top 6.

I've barely seen him play, but I've just looked through some scores at from the small portion of them I've seen he seems to be.

I don't mind that in a player though, every team needs one. If a player is averaging near 50 as a 100 or nothing player, then you know that fairly consistently those big scores come up, and it's those big scores that can win matches, the consistent 40s-80s are great, but they may not turn the match around.

As long as there is only the one in the team, plus they are higher up the order. Having North at 6 is one thing I disagree with.

So do I. This might sound very odd, but as they insist on keeping him, I think they should have him in at 4. I think Mike Hussey should be at 6 as he can bat with the tail and is good against spin.

Hussey can bat anywhere brilliantly, he even started playing state cricket right handed, so if he's a number 4 stick him there.

brickwaller99;398858 said:
Hussey can bat anywhere brilliantly, he even started playing state cricket right handed, so if he's a number 4 stick him there.

Nope, I'd rather have Huss at 6, he used to bat brilliantly with the tail. I don't think he works that well at 4.

Beeswax;398882 said:
Nope, I'd rather have Huss at 6, he used to bat brilliantly with the tail. I don't think he works that well at 4.

He has played at his best at 4 for all his teams, but with a lack of form it's hard to bat anywhere.

I think both himself and Ponting together was the best combination in world cricket during 06/07, they put on record partnerships every game pretty much.

This next series against Pakistan Clarke is set for a promotion to 4, Hussey to 5. It will be in England, which Hussey loves playing, so I think with the reduction of pressure of 5 (I think it's the easiest spot to bat) he should go pretty well.

Now the Clarke/Ponting partnership seems of more importance, 3 and 4 often find themselves in together.

I like the Hussey at 6 idea. Number 6 of the last decade has been the bigger hitter, more ODI style batsman, so might as well try to exploit Hussey's good ODI run.

I think North has let down the team a little by dragging out the innings in some marathon batting scoring at 40%, and not batting well with the tail. Hussey can do anything really, so I like the idea of 4.Clarke, 5.North, 6.Hussey.

Boris;398914 said:
He has played at his best at 4 for all his teams, but with a lack of form it's hard to bat anywhere.

I think both himself and Ponting together was the best combination in world cricket during 06/07, they put on record partnerships every game pretty much.

This next series against Pakistan Clarke is set for a promotion to 4, Hussey to 5. It will be in England, which Hussey loves playing, so I think with the reduction of pressure of 5 (I think it's the easiest spot to bat) he should go pretty well.

Now the Clarke/Ponting partnership seems of more importance, 3 and 4 often find themselves in together.

I like the Hussey at 6 idea. Number 6 of the last decade has been the bigger hitter, more ODI style batsman, so might as well try to exploit Hussey's good ODI run.

I think North has let down the team a little by dragging out the innings in some marathon batting scoring at 40%, and not batting well with the tail. Hussey can do anything really, so I like the idea of 4.Clarke, 5.North, 6.Hussey.

Yes, so do I as we have to have North and Hussey both or so it seems.

But this thing about Hussey doing well in England was one of the main reasons why I wanted him in the Ashes squad in 2009 even though his form was shite leading into it. So much for that theory and his performance still rankles. He had so much experience and had scored such a phenomenal amount of runs in County cricket I thought he was bound to hit the big time again over there.

I found it really nasty all round that MJ was scapegoated and copped such a public flogging by all and sundry for 'losing' the Ashes when he had no experience in England, had only played something like 20 matches at test level and was leading an attack with no experience in England conditions and stuff all test match experience at all.

Michael Hussey failed when he was most required and yet didn't cop half the criticism that MJ did. It always annoys me that bowlers are blamed and batsmen get away with murder.

There.

Weeklyl rant over.

Beeswax;398931 said:
Yes, so do I as we have to have North and Hussey both or so it seems.

But this thing about Hussey doing well in England was one of the main reasons why I wanted him in the Ashes squad in 2009 even though his form was shite leading into it. So much for that theory and his performance still rankles. He had so much experience and had scored such a phenomenal amount of runs in County cricket I thought he was bound to hit the big time again over there.

I found it really nasty all round that MJ was scapegoated and copped such a public flogging by all and sundry for 'losing' the Ashes when he had no experience in England, had only played something like 20 matches at test level and was leading an attack with no experience in England conditions and stuff all test match experience at all.

Michael Hussey failed when he was most required and yet didn't cop half the criticism that MJ did. It always annoys me that bowlers are blamed and batsmen get away with murder.

There.

Weeklyl rant over.

I would argue that Hussey went quite well in the Ashes in England last time round. It was is best series in 2 years, he scored a losing century and a couple of 50s. After Watson and Katich he was the best batsman IMO.

Otherwise I would agree with you.

I think Hussey will now plunder along for the remainder of his career averaging about 40-50. I think his technique was found out in a big way as other teams tried to combat his superhuman abilities. Along with some very good bowling and some bad luck he was never out in the middle long enough to get any form back and it showed.

A couple of lucky breaks (or make that 3 dropped catches) gave him a chance and he now seems in better touch. I think he will fill out the rest of his career with some dignity and will go down swinging.

Boris;398961 said:
I would argue that Hussey went quite well in the Ashes in England last time round. It was is best series in 2 years, he scored a losing century and a couple of 50s. After Watson and Katich he was the best batsman IMO.

Otherwise I would agree with you.

I think Hussey will now plunder along for the remainder of his career averaging about 40-50. I think his technique was found out in a big way as other teams tried to combat his superhuman abilities. Along with some very good bowling and some bad luck he was never out in the middle long enough to get any form back and it showed.

A couple of lucky breaks (or make that 3 dropped catches) gave him a chance and he now seems in better touch. I think he will fill out the rest of his career with some dignity and will go down swinging.

No, he scored a century which verged on worthless in the last match as we had practically already lost the match.

And there you go, Hauritz is out. I knew it.

Beeswax;398979 said:
No, he scored a century which verged on worthless in the last match as we had practically already lost the match.

And there you go, Hauritz is out. I knew it.

A losing century, which is what I said. He scores centuries in matches where nobody else does. North does the opposite, he scores centuries when the going is easy and adds 100 extra runs where if worst came to worst, they could possibly have done without.

Same for his century against Pakistan. Nobody else stood up, it was only him and Siddle saving the match with the bat.

He's been batting under some tough conditions. When nobody else has been standing up lately he has been.

Akmal gave him that century, gave it to him on plates exactly the size of wicket-keeping gloves. North stood up at Edbaston, (if he hadn't kept Clarke company we might well have lost that match in 3 days) as well as his first test match in SA.

Look I like Hussey, he is one of my favourite players, he is one of the best one day batsmen we have ever produced, unbelievably adaptable with a wonderful ability to manufacture runs out of nothing, but he was such a disappointment to me in the Ashes I can't tell you. I've lived in England a long time, certainly long enough to see how he was revered on the County circuit here, but that experience and ability meant nothing at the one time when it should have.

Beeswax;399026 said:
Akmal gave him that century, gave it to him on plates exactly the size of wicket-keeping gloves. North stood up at Edbaston, (if he hadn't kept Clarke company we might well have lost that match in 3 days) as well as his first test match in SA.

Look I like Hussey, he is one of my favourite players, he is one of the best one day batsmen we have ever produced, unbelievably adaptable with a wonderful ability to manufacture runs out of nothing, but he was such a disappointment to me in the Ashes I can't tell you. I've lived in England a long time, certainly long enough to see how he was revered on the County circuit here, but that experience and ability meant nothing at the one time when it should have.

That's why I said it takes some luck to get out of bad form. I remember Hayden during his big form slump in 2005, it took some butter fingers from Sri Lanka (I think?) where he was dropped 4 times in an innings on his way to 120. That started his 2006/07/08(partly) world dominance. That's how a lot of batsmen get back in form is with sheer luck, hopefully it's the same with Hussey. The second half of that century was much better, Kamran's slippery gloves weren't needed after that. Since then he has looked better, no prodding around and brick feet. New Zealand wasn't overly fruitful for him, but was better than nothing.

All in all since the last Test against South Africa, then England, West Indies and Pakistan have been his best 3 series in 2-2.5 years, all in a row. He may have been a disappointment still, but after that sort of form slump, it definitely looks up. He's scored at 44 since the Ashes.

Back