The NUMBER 3 SLOT in ODI's

Cricketman

I posted this earlier in PC, but i think its still quite a controversial topic

Most everyone has performed extremely well but who is the best to fill this slot up till 2007 and the World Cup?
[size=25:3ai6ccja][b:3ai6ccja]
THE CONTESTANTS[/b:3ai6ccja][/size:3ai6ccja]​

[img:3ai6ccja]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/cricketman93/sourav.jpg[/img:3ai6ccja]

[b:3ai6ccja]GANGULY[/b:3ai6ccja]
I'll start with the former Indian Skipper, Sourav Ganguly. Obviously, his side in the team is doubtful but he enjoys to play in this slot. When in form, he gives nightmares to the bowlers when he bats in this slot. He seems to be comfortable, time the ball well and caress the ball to the fence. In a recent match against sri lanka (Indian oil cup) ganguly had a batting average of about 42.56 (?) in this slot. Should he? come back to the side, would you let him play at the One down slot?

[img:3ai6ccja]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/cricketman93/laxman.jpg[/img:3ai6ccja]

[b:3ai6ccja]Laxman[/b:3ai6ccja]
I was going through some old magazines the other day, and happened to find Scorecards of the VB series (India, Australia, Zimbabwe) India's first match vs the World Champs and VVS Laxman smashed a brilliant 103*. The next match vs the World champs, VVS Laxman smashed another century, 106* along with Yuvraj Singh 139, in vain as Brett Lee smashed a six off the last ball from bala to win it. Next Match vs Zimbabwe, Laxman slaps a wonderful 131. This is quite recent and Laxman hasn't been given many chances like this since then. He definitely enjoys batting in this position, most of his runs coming at this slot.

[img:3ai6ccja]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/cricketman93/kaifpulltohundred.jpg[/img:3ai6ccja]

[b:3ai6ccja]Kaif[/b:3ai6ccja]
Off late, Kaif has proven that he deserves this spot. 93* and 102 against New Zealand in the series in Zimbabwe is still fresh in our minds. He seems to have the Timing and temperment one needs to play a big knock at this slot. He can take his time, and has support from the other end and not from just Tailenders. He finds the gaps, and his quick running between the wickets makes ones, two's, and three's come often. Runs always seem to sneak up on you, unlike the much more prominent way of getting runs Sehwag implements. He brings stability to the Middle order, not having to change his gameplay and become a slogger in the last ten overs. Most of his memorable innings have come when he has had time to play; natwest final, the recent NZ matches, and also in the World Cup. A good competitor.

[img:3ai6ccja]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/cricketman93/Dhoniroxdude.jpg[/img:3ai6ccja]

[b:3ai6ccja]MS Dhoni[/b:3ai6ccja]
With an Average of 52 and a strike rate of 108? he arguably heads my list. 2 big hundreds against the worlds best bowling attacks of Pakistan and Sri Lanka. When you think of Dhoni you think of runs coming in boundaries. Big flashes of his mighty wooden sword send the ball for 4 or 6. He has had? not-outs in his short 22 innings, and he Is a finisher.
No matter where he bats, 3-7, he wants to stay at the crease and finish the job he started.

[b:3ai6ccja]
The others[/b:3ai6ccja]
There are the other options that we do not think of much, Dravid, Yadav, Pathan, and Yuvraj. Yuvraj has failed miserably in all instances he has come at this spot. I believe Yadav has great things he can do at the top. Pathan has grabbed the opportunity that he was given with both hands and can also deliver, but he should concentrate on his bowling as that is probably India's weakness at the moment in time. Dravid, the old pro who used to be 1-down in ODI's, but now he seems to prefer 4 or 5.

What do u think? Your views?

Im pretty sure Dravid is going to take that spot...unless the need a hitter like dhoni or pathan...yuvi has established him self in the middle order and will not be in the top order nor the lower order. laxmen and kaif most proabbly will go in the middle order... i guess time will tell

[quote="indiancricketer ":2rpscjeh]
Im pretty sure Dravid is going to take that spot...unless the need a hitter like dhoni or pathan...yuvi has established him self in the middle order and will not be in the top order nor the lower order. laxmen and kaif most proabbly will go in the middle order... i guess time will tell
[/quote:2rpscjeh]

Dravid at number 3 in ODI's?? nah, i'd like to see him where he is: 4 or 5.

I would say either Dhoni or Laxman. Dhoni because of his Agresssive batting abilities he is able to tear any bowling attack n can score lots of runs for the team if he comes in earlier on in the innings.
Laxman because of his terrific record against australia batting at number 3. i think he scored 2 centuries in the same week. If he can work on his running and start playing a little agressive i think he too will be able to succeed at the number 3 position in both forms of the game

well... i m pretty sure its hard to decide right now whoes going where...we never know what chappell is going to do...he might "experiment" or he could bring someone COMPLETLY different... you never know

Well i am sure chappel is going to experiment with different batsmen at No.3 until he doest find the one best for the job. Lets see who bats at the Number 2 position in the Indo-Pak series

for the Odis i think Sachin will do at no.3 but for test Sachin is the best at no.4
As for Sehwag i think opening is his best spot...lets hope he strikes some form to

[quote="indiancricketer ":1sirv293]
most proabbly Sachin or sehwag
[/quote:1sirv293]

Dude they have to open! They're probably the deadlies combination at the top IMO! They cannot be as deadly in the middle order as they are in the top!

yeah they have to open ...getting back to topic please...other wise make a thread in international cricket on whoes the best opening pair

Felxibility. Chappell's key word. Number 3 is likely to keep on changing. If we carry gambhir, it might be Viru. If we need quick runs, Dhoni. If we need stability, Kaif. If we can afford to experiment, Yadav/Pathan. If Yuvis in great form, go with him...

[quote="Zorax ":2dvlf4v7]
Felxibility. Chappell's key word. Number 3 is likely to keep on changing. If we carry gambhir, it might be Viru. If we need quick runs, Dhoni. If we need stability, Kaif. If we can afford to experiment, Yadav/Pathan. If Yuvis in great form, go with him...
[/quote:2dvlf4v7]
Very well explained

I dont think Sachin is as devastating as he once was in the openers role....Let Sehwag and Ganguly open (yes Ganguly! his best performances came as an opener).... Sachin at 3 would be ideal ( he shouldnt come lower coz u want him to get to play as many balls as possible).
If a couple of early wickets fall then u always have Dravid to fall back on....and all the Yuvis, Dhonis, Kaifs and Pathans can play around Dravid!!!

I think your logic breaks. Sachin isn't as good as he was at opening. Ganguly isn't as good as he was, in general. So why should Tendulkar be replaced by Ganguly in the opener's spot? Anyhow, Ganguly wasn't picked for the ODI's after looking in decent nick for the tests.

But the question is do we want to risk Pathan's bowling at the expense of Shoaib Akhtar?

Tendulkar just scored a century from the opener's position, not that it means anything in the long run. But, Pathan and Dhoni are also scoring runs in the number 3 slot and consistently too. Taking Pathan's bowling into consideration, Dhoni might be the better permanent choice out of the two.

I think once Pathan regains his bowling confidence, he won't be risked up the order as much. But if he isn't bowling too well, he might as well go and smack the bowlers to make himself feel better.
icon_biggrin.gif

[quote="sohum ":3ece3xv7]
I think once Pathan regains his bowling confidence, he won't be risked up the order as much. But if he isn't bowling too well, he might as well go and smack the bowlers to make himself feel better.
icon_biggrin.gif

[/quote:3ece3xv7]

True, he seems to bat well, when he doesn't bowl well and vice versa.

Back