The valleys and beyond - a season in Welsh cricket.

Re: The valleys and beyond - a season in Welsh cricket.

A long, hot and hard day in the field (well it felt like it, even though the game was reduced to 39 overs). Wicket was damp due to the storms we had last night although it wasn't doing much.

We got a stuffing mainly due to poor fielding (a few half chances put down as well as some easier ones) and our batsman being intent on giving their wickets away.

Another triumph for me batting as I managed yet another 0 n.o. I won't talk about the bowling as it was still shocking, I'm still thinking far too much about it and putting stupid amounts of pressure on myself.

Sounds crap - you sound like you're a major league down brother at the moment! What Uni are you going to?

My advice being a lecturer is yes to asking the lecturers heaps of questions - especially at the start, once you get a feel for how it all works then become a lot more independent.

Something Time teaches you:

To progress/succeed we need to know more than we already know at any one time.

Unless you ask the questions, nobody knows you need the answers.

If nobody knows you need the answers, nobody gives them to you.

If you don't get the answers to the questions you need to know... status quo ;).

Liz Ward said:
Something Time teaches you:

To progress/succeed we need to know more than we already know at any one time.

Unless you ask the questions, nobody knows you need the answers.

If nobody knows you need the answers, nobody gives them to you.

If you don't get the answers to the questions you need to know... status quo ;).

someblokecalleddave said:
Sounds crap - you sound like you're a major league down brother at the moment! What Uni are you going to?

My advice being a lecturer is yes to asking the lecturers heaps of questions - especially at the start, once you get a feel for how it all works then become a lot more independent.

When I was 18, I think that I saw having to ask questions as a sign of weakness, but as time has gone on, I've started to view it as something which is beneficial and as Liz says, if you don't ask then you don't get. I guess it's down to being more confident with age etc.

@ Dave - going to UWIC in Cardiff.

Anyway, new day, new game. The sun is shining (again :eek:) and we have an away game on the coast, hopefully not too far away from the beach.

It's the way you ask them too.

I remember being in a tutorial once and I just did not understand where it was going. It doesn't help that I don't think in straight lines ;) I asked so many questions; it seemed the answer to one just led to another. I was so embarrassed that I was holding everybody back, because nobody else said anything and they just sat there emotionless, that I apologised.

At the first break everybody, without exception, thanked me. Not only were they lost too but they did not even know the questions, let alone the answers. In the end we were all experts on the subject :laugh:

If you're going to the beach, don't forget your protection ;) Have fun, make the most of it... it can't last!

A win to end the weekend with and some sort of return to bowling form for myself.

A warm old day though.

The first midweek game of the season and played on the hardest wickets so far.

Only had 9 players and ultimately lost - not exactly twenty20 at its best :laugh:. Scored my first runs of the year as well getting bowled for the first time but had the bowling back on track with 3 for 14 off 4, including a wicket of the first ball I bowled.

Few days rest now as I watch the weather breakdown.

To keep it brief, we lost. Nothing of note from myself as the game was pretty much all over bar the shouting before we even set foot on the pitch, even more so for me as my mind was a million miles away from the cricket pitch.

A quiet week so far as I'm resting my ankle. Played on Sunday to help a mate out, as well as with a few other friends, one who hasn't played for about 7 years the other who has never played!

Lost in the end but it was an enjoyable day and hopefully the cricket bug has bitten the non-player a little!

Friday seems like it may be decent weather wise and I'll be itching to get out and play but we're having a new boiler fitted (I hope, no hot water for a week is a git and I managed to scald my leg with hot water from a kettle earlier trying to sort out a bath :embarrassed: :mad:) so that'll take up most of the day.

No junior coaching either this week as I have a funeral to attend and judging by the weather Saturday may well be a wash out! We'll have to wait and see.

My ankle is officially knackered. Pretty much end of the season for myself, well, with regards to serious cricket anyhow.

That is still to be determined (waiting for a scan) but bowling anything other than offspin is not going to happen for a while.

Will update with a brief match report as well, we played in a great game yesterday, plenty of ebb and flow with it coming down to the last over.

Well, I did say that I would give a match report but got completely side tracked by other things. I'll be honest in that I can't remember half the stuff that happened except for the little boy who managed to stop a thunderous pull from our no.6 batsman with his left buttock.

It wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't for the fact that he was attempting to climb up a the steps at the time and was in the unfortunate position of bending over, waving his arse directly at the ball. Needless to say, many tears flowed as well as a few stifled laughs until he was gived the all clear by his dad!

As for this weekend, I've dropped into the 3rds as I can't really contribute that much for the 1sts and it's a wasted place if I play for them. At least with the 3rds I can help to bring on the kids, bat a bit and may also get away with a few overs of spin or medium pace from a couple of steps. Will be interesting to see how it goes. The other advantage of playing in the 3rds is that I avoid a longish away trip into the midst of the Welsh valleys and snag a 3rd home game in a row!

Sunday brings an under 9 softball cricket tournament, which is always interesting. So far, I have 7 out 8 players confirmed, just sweating on the last guy now. Very difficult in that you have to mix the abilities up and make sure that everyone who is interested in cricket gets a fair crack and the chance to participate if they want to. I'm finding at the moment that the kids who are reluctant to play are often the ones with the most talent.

They'll play 3 games in total so that will be the other interesting element - will their attention spans hold out that long! Each game lasts for about an hour, played out over 16 overs (8 per side). Everyone bowls/keeps wickets and they bat in pairs for 2 overs each. Each dismissal means that 5 runs if removed from the total (they start on 200).

Ankle has completely had it, can't even bowl off a few paces because of it.

On the upside, batting was a lot better and I felt more at ease at the crease, will have to start scoring some runs though.

It went very well in the end, although we lost 2 and won 1. However, seeing that all the other teams have already played in a tournament I thought that my side did more than all right and they were learning very quickly with each game.

All 3 games were fairly tight and the thing that cost us most of all was some silly run outs - a few had the habit of wandering from their crease. Also, dropped a few catches, which if taken would have meant winning the second game with ease.

The first team we played were taking it very, very seriously and had 2 kids who were head and shoulders above the rest. The one was working up a serious head of steam for a 8/9 year old, faster than some of the under 15's that I take.

Back