The Wolfman's Cricket Blog

Re: The Wolfman's Cricket Blog

someblokecalleddave;288842 said:
How come you've lost interest in the forum?

I never really got into this forum after the move from Simply Cricket.

I'm back for my monthly visit :)p) just to say the indoor cricket is going fairly well for me, I feel my bowling is becoming better and better and I am doing well considering a few of the players play in the Birmingham Premier League. Batting is a bit mixed, I keep doing these walking drives and getting stumped but I was involved in a 54 partnership a few weeks ago which was nice. Team results are a bit mixed as well; main problem is getting enough runs on the board and we keep making silly errors in the field.

Pathetic game for me on Saturday but we got the W.

I already had a scouting report from a friend who played a friendly there last week about how shocking the pitch was and it lived up to all expectations. It was just grass and mud. You could poke your finger through the surface. So it was low, slow but with the occasional steepling bounce that took your finger off. Also it was a big outfield with long grass.

Our captain walked straight past us without talking after the toss so we gathered we were batting (!). Our 1-6 was adults and 7-11 was kids. The make-up of our team also meant I had to drive there as with four of the adults going straight there we only has two qualified drivers, and I had managed to avoid driving for the whole of last season.

Anyway to cut a long story short we crawled to 102-9 off our 50 overs. I second top scored with 15 having a partnership of 30 with our top scorer (24). I think I am struggling to explain how bad the pitch was we knew anything over 100 would be competitive, we were aiming for 130 but the ball just wasn't coming onto the bat at all. Just couldn't time it at all you had to really force your strokes for it to go anywhere. My 15 took 15 overs I think.

We then shot them out for 40 after they were 30-0, so 10 wickets for 10 runs. Our captain who this pitch was made for (slow medium bowler) took 6 wickets for 3 runs and our leggie got the other 4. We did hold onto some quite brilliant catches including another diving one from me at cover and one hander over his head from one of our young guns.

Congrats W on the victory..
Batting on wet wicket is a challenge with slowness of the ball..did the balls bounced in between.....
Good fight back in the 2nd half...

Virender

One of our players in the 3rds hit six sixes in the last over of their innings going from 110 to 146 in one over! Watch the 6th six on YouTube.

My team won again (of course we did) quite convincingly. Our next two fixtures are going to be crucial I think because both opposition are tough but we are beginning to dream of succesive promotions right now.

Pitch was a bit wet so we bowled first and skittled them out for 130. I bowled the worst spell of bowling ever, no rhythm, no accuracy, no pace but I still picked up 4 wickets (6-0-20-4). Two of my wickets I managed to get a bit of bounce and the batter could only fend them off to slip and I clean bowled the other two with balls that were gun barrel straight but they just missed.

We knocked that off for one wicket down, me being the wicket. I made 13 and was feeling really good but one ball just basically hit the wicket and rolled and I didn't play forward enough and got bowled. Disappointing because there was a 50 there for the taking but a 2nd wicket stand of over 100 made sure we cruised to victory

I got a surprise promotion to the 4ths for the day, but obviously the people in charge expect me to be psychic because they didn't tell me and I only found out by complete chance, otherwise I most likely would have turned up for the 5th team match and not have played, which I wouldn't have been best pleased about. I didn't dare mention it though.

I batted first drop and made 17 before trying to hit the spinner down the ground and getting a top edge up in the air. Once again threw away a start, it's become a real problem. I need to work more on my convential shots so I don't feel I have to score with big hits. We were bowled out for 100, our #10 hitting a startling 24 to get us up to even to that. We had no chance in defending that because they were a good team and we only took one wicket.

I think our 4ths are really going to struggle this year, a lot of kids playing on Sat and they got like one run between them. They're going to have to step up to the plate at some point, which they are capable of doing. I'd rather play 5ths because I enjoy it there but I don't mind. The 5ths won again on Sat meaning we are running away with the league again, and it looks like we swap leagues with the 4ths because if we get promoted they will get relegated whether they finish in the bottom 2 or not.

Game 1
Played for the 4ths again and bowled really well (as I said above) with absolutely no luck. I came on first change after a tight start and had a huge LBW appeal turned down first ball (umpire said he turned it down because he took a stride forward (pfft)). Almost all their runs came from edges (inside and outside) how they survived was generally a mystery to me. I bowled 7 overs for 16 before they took 12 off my final over with three fours. Our oppo reached 220 as they kept wickets in hand so they could hit some big shots in the last 10 overs.

In reply our opener hit a brilliant 80 and put us in a good position. I batted at 3 and was out for 4 bowled by a yorker. We looked on course for victory with 10 overs to go with 47 needed with 5 wickets left but the runs dried up, a couple of wickets fell and we ended up on 194-8 and a losing draw. Negative, negative because we had two big hitters at 10 + 11 but we didn't bring them in up the order.

Game 2
On Sunday I played for the Greenflies team. I'm keen on playing for this team a lot with season because your generally guaranteed a good bat and a bowl because the standard of the team is generally not great. The opposition we were playing were so, so poor but somehow we were at one point 19-7. I was out LBW for 2, such a lazy shot as usual and I am getting so annoyed about the mental side of my batting. I have promised myself to play my natural game and be more positive from now on because I hate prodding about. Our #3 dug us out of a big hole with 70* and we made 110-9 of our 40 overs. We then shot them out for 42, the less said about my bowling the better.

Game 3
On Wednesday I played in the T20 (ok 15 8 ball overs, which more or less equates to the same thing) knockout for the 4ths. I wasn't required to bat as we made 120-7 which we thought was good total on a wet track. I opened the bowling and my first three overs went for 12 (so a bloody good effort only 12 off 24 balls) but my final over went for 18!! Their #3 and #4 had come in and shown they were really good batsmen and smacked it around but I had their #4 plumb LBW and it wasn't given. They reached the total in the 12th over amazingly after such a slow start, we weren't helped by the fact we couldn't see a thing in the field because it was dark.

Game 4
Back in the 5ths. Raining. On and off all day. Turned into a 29 overs a side match. They managed to get 81-8 I took four wickets for 28 off 10(?) overs. I took 3 wickets in four balls at one point, and there was a dropped catch on my hattrick ball. We were 29-1 in reply when the rain came and this time it was permanent. Match abandoned.

Game 5
Played the team that got promoted with us last year (against whom I made 95 and took 4 wickets). Batted first and they made 155-9 and bowled nine wicket-less overs for 18. After a solid start we made hard work of that and I had to come in at the end and made a 20 not out, I scratched around a bit until with 3 overs to go I slogged and missed at two balls before connecting on the third and hitting a six. Two balls later and I hit a cover drive for four and we won by 2 wickets.

Game 6
Played for the Greenflies at one of the smallest grounds in the country. Bowled four overs 1 wicket for 22. Out for five. We won by three wickets.

Game 7
Saturday game again - we bowled them out for 108 and knocked them off for one down. I bowled 2-2-0-1 and wasn't needed with the bat. We're top of the league by a single point.

Game 8
Greenflies game at one of the nicest grounds in the country. We bowled first and they made 222-6 my figures were 10-0-51-2. We knocked that off for one down thanks to a 200 opening partnership, our openers made 115* and 96.

well played wolfy, i bet the 6th game was down at springhill as i saw the last half of that match our team batted awful, i was the leggie having 15 mins bowling in the nets.

gundalf7;350970 said:
well played wolfy, i bet the 6th game was down at springhill as i saw the last half of that match our team batted awful, i was the leggie having 15 mins bowling in the nets.

What you got that from my description of the ground - how?? :p

Yes it was - can't say I remember you I'll have to say ask if you'll be there the next time we play you so we can meet up.

Is your clubs name actually Springhill because I tried looking on the league website and there is no Springhill but there is a Springvale. Sorry I'm really confused.

the club is probablly listed under blakenhall or something like that as thats our saturday side and our sunday side is springhill, even though all the games are played at springhill, lol

i knew we'd played wolverhampton that day too, love to have a game against you later in the season hopefully i should be playing regularly soon if i can get work sorted out.

if i'd known you was there i'd have said hi, lol

We played the second from bottom team on Saturday (and the only reason they are not bottom is because another team were deducted points and are in minus figures). They turned up with only nine players including their scorer who had not played for 30 years. Despite the fact we were playing on one of the most placid tracks ever with a really weak bowling attack they put us into bat.

We scored at a mega quick runrate to start off with but lost stupid wickets. I came in at 5 with the score like 70-3 after off 15 overs. We kept adding runs but I lost a couple of partners but me and the number seven put on a steady 59 together. The bowling was pretty poor, the pitch had nothing in it at all for the bowler and you had all day to play your shots. Also there were runs everywhere because they had two fielders missing. We were looking to declare at 40 overs but we were all out for 183 in the 38th over. I was out for 57 in the 37th over trying to repeat a massive six over square leg I had hit earlier in the over. We thought there were never going to get near that but on hindsight I should made sure we stayed there until we got 200.

They took it steady when batting and I came on and recieved a bit of tap with 13 off my first over but finally made the breakthrough in my 5th over (about the teams 22nd/23rd) with a miscued pull to midwicket and got another edged behind in my next over and in the over after that bowled a straight one at a slogger and got rewarded. But their opener was still in and made 50 and another guy was looking good at 5 and we thought we had lost it. A couple of quick wickets fell but the number 5 looked like he was going to pull them through with about 30 needed off 20 overs but he completely missed a long hop and was gone. We knew we should wrap it up with a kid and the old scorer to come and we did I got the kid LBW with a yorker and had two balls to get the scorer out to pick up a 5-fer but failed (3rd 4-fer of the season grrr) and our skipper bowled their number seven in the next over to finish it, and they were all out for 166, a victory margin of 17 runs.

Hard work of what should have been an easy game but another W to our name.

Played in a T20 knockout game yesterday, and what a run fest it was!

They scored 199-8 off their 15 eight ball overs. This is meant to be a 3rd team knockout (or a 5th team for us) so how the hell some of those players play in the division below us I don't know [probable answer: they don't, they were ringers]. I opened and bowled 3 overs for 33 which was not that bad compared to some peoples figures it is a bit annoying when you bowl decent balls and they just get clobbered over to cow corner for six. We were doing ok-ish until one over went for 27, that just killed us off a bit.

We attempted an improbable assault on the mammoth target and despite scoring quicky we never really got in contention. Our opener blasted 60 but for some reason we had a slow scorer at 4 and he just didn't score quick enough. I came in with 5 overs to go with about 90 needed and just tried to blast everything and scored 27 off a dozen or so balls with two sixes but we feel about 30 runs short in the end.

Back