Thigh Muscle Pain

phil2oo8

Thigh Muscle Pain

season 2010 is underway for me and all the usual niggles have comeback,,, oh happy days...

But anyway, This stupid thigh muscle problem has come back, i gt it lastyear but never this sore, itslike perfectly in the middlein my right thigh, i could draw a circle around the area it hurts as its sharp pain in a very small section of the whole thigh but it makes the surroundings of it feel a bit numb. It happens when ever i play a sport that requires kicking a ball. I've worked out and am 99% certain its football because it doesnt happen during indoor nets when i dont play footie coz its too cold, but when season starts and i start having a kick about, bang its back with the samebowling. The 1% uncertainity is the (heavier) bowling boots i use outdoors. It's strange because it hurts when im streching it, and jogging on it or the pace i run up to bowl at , but if i'm fully running at a sprint pace it doesnt hurt as bad, probably a 1/4 as much.
I was wondering could it be like a minor tear were it heals a little bit (badly) and then with a kick of a ball it goes, i stop football- heals and then the cycle continues.

What does it sound like to any of you?

Re: Thigh Muscle Pain

Phil, it's hard to say without seeing you but it sounds more like adhesions or myofacial trigger points. Does the pain feel deep? How much of a warm up do you do prior to kicking and bowling?

Liz Ward;398489 said:
Phil, it's hard to say without seeing you but it sounds more like adhesions or myofacial trigger points. Does the pain feel deep? How much of a warm up do you do prior to kicking and bowling?

Liz, if it is that, would SMR/foam rolling help?

micoach;398602 said:
Liz, if it is that, would SMR/foam rolling help?

Absolutely David. It would also help if there was scar tissue present too.

However, caution if there are recent tears and steer clear if there is inflammation and/or bruising.

does feel deep yeah, like constant but mild at top side 99% of time, then when it really hurts quite sharp pain deep down

Phil, sit on a chair with your legs relaxed, palms at the bottom of your quads, just above the knee. Gently glide your hands up your quads. Do you feel a difference between the two sides?

If not, do the same but with deeper pressure. I am not interested, at the moment, in what your thighs feel, just your hands.

If you still do not feel a difference, contract your muscles whilst still seated and glide your hands up. Tell me what you feel.

Also, what is your warm up... quads in particular?

Crap description so sorry but on the sore one it feels firmer and lone big smooth lump were it hurts... when i apply pressure that is btw.

I usually hammer my groin, hamstrings and calf's when i warm up below the waste so my thighs usually do get a bit under done, just that one were u pull ur foot up from behind whilst trying to balance.

phil2oo8;398711 said:
Crap description so sorry but on the sore one it feels firmer and lone big smooth lump were it hurts... when i apply pressure that is btw.

No worries Phil, that's what I expected.

phil2oo8;398711 said:
I usually hammer my groin, hamstrings and calf's when i warm up below the waste so my thighs usually do get a bit under done, just that one were u pull ur foot up from behind whilst trying to balance.

Not a static stretch prior to activity! :eek:

OK, I'm not going to beat you up over it... just don't do it again... or I may have to send in the heavies. :D

If there is no inflammation or dark colouring, apply some heat. A hot water bottle would be good. When it is warm, give it a bit of a kneading.

Warm ups need to be dynamic:

Swing the straight leg forwards and backwards as far as they go. You may need to steady yourself by holding on to somebody else's shoulder. This will warm up both the hams and quads.

You need to jog, kicking your but tocks with your heels as you go.

After a match/kicking you need to perform the quad stretch you mentioned above.

Back