To anti-scuff, or not to anti-scuff?, that is the question!

OllieN56

To anti-scuff, or not to anti-scuff?, that is the question!

What are the advantages of using a bare faced bat compared to a bat with a clear sheet over it?

Re: To anti-scuff, or not to anti-scuff?, that is the question!

I'd say anti-scuff :)

Gives people like me the peace of mind, although i enjoy oiling my bat now and again, the sheet means it doesn't need to be done as frequently, and if you're out there to slog, can stop bat deterioration well.

A scuff sheet will remove the need for oiling (apart from a dab on the toe), it also means that the bat is 'easy wipe' clean as a lightly wetted cloth will get most marks off.

The main thing that a scuff sheet offers is protection to the bat, from the elements and from the ball. It wont stop seam marks appearing but it will mean that they won't go as deep as on a natural finish bat.

The level of protection offered is less with a clear scuff sheet than the one with strands of fibre glass running through.

It's mainly a personal choice - I like natural finish bats so will go for that, however, a scuff sheet is a good way of prolonging the life of a bat, especially if you have damage to the wood, such as cracks or lifting.

They are a must have if you have had any sort of repair work carried out on the bat.

ive never used a bat without the sheet. it just doesnt feel right to me to use a bat without it. are there any disadvantages of using them?

No real disadvantages except for the looks. They do mean that you need to go to someone who knows what they're doing if you want the bat sanded down but apart from that they are mostly beneficial.

i dont really like the look but im afraid if i play without it the seam marks will make it look worse.

Back