To Spin, Or Not To Spin, That's The Question...

True. I do grunt from effort and explosion at the crease. Sometimes it's a full blooded clearly audible grunt, I've even been called various tennis-player names on the field because I sound similar to them when I bowl:D

I'm not sure if I have a natural pace, I can bowl at three paces, 70kph , 60kph or 50 kph without sacrificing any spin. I settled for 60kph because when I bowl at 70kph many batsmen claim that I'm easier to play. Do any of your coaches advise you to bowl faster? When I was bowling slower everyone told me to bowl faster which eventually made me crazy so I upped my speed considerably.

So funny me too ; they called me Maria Sharapova , not nice of them :p

We have all been hit for a huge six. Not the kind of six that just clears the fielder on the boundary. No, not that kind. The kind that seems to go further and further, never stopping, until it lands way outside the stadium, into trees or houses or parking areas. That one hit can deflate your ego and make you wish you could just disintegrate into a few specks of dust on the ground and float off into the horizon in a light, cool breeze...

Then, as if that isn't enough, you suddenly realize that you have to bowl the next ball. So, as the batsman is glaring at you and smiling devilishly, you start the first step of your run-up, you gradually build up momentum, and glide over the infield grass onto the pitch...

Would you:
1) bowl the ball much, much quicker into the pads so that the ball can't be hit for yet another gigantic six.
2) just roll the ball out of your hand without trying to impart lots of spin so the ball lands on a good spot.
3) toss the ball up even higher, but without significant spin.
4) try to rip the cover off the ball, toss it up, make it drift and dip all over the place.
5) tell the umpires that you have hurt your bowling shoulder and can't finish the over.

Honest answers please:D
Hi Jacques , excellent question . I think all of us have been confronted with this . I'm guilty of number 1 , a faster ball in this situation just feels kind of natural I guess . But option 4 sounds hellishly fun , I mean we're spin bowlers , so why would we want to go and bowl something sinister as a faster ball ( fast bowling is an evil craft ) if we can just rip it past the batsman or beat him with drift , dip , bounce , etc. So I'll say go for option 4 and rip it like a lunatic. Pp.s - I'm new on here .

Hi Jacques , excellent question . I think all of us have been confronted with this . I'm guilty of number 1 , a faster ball in this situation just feels kind of natural I guess . But option 4 sounds hellishly fun , I mean we're spin bowlers , so why would we want to go and bowl something sinister as a faster ball ( fast bowling is an evil craft ) if we can just rip it past the batsman or beat him with drift , dip , bounce , etc. So I'll say go for option 4 and rip it like a lunatic. Pp.s - I'm new on here .

Yeah and don't forget who introduced you to Bigcricket;)...
My thoughts exactly, but you know how match pressure can get to you. And certain negative captains who believe they know everything about spin bowling. Like the one that told me I should bowl with the wind so that the batsman has to hit his lofted shots into the wind when he tries to get a maximum:)

Yes , I appreciate it thoroughly :) ! Lol yes Jacques in today's day and age all captains start to quiver when only thinking to throw the ball to their leg spinner . And say you bowl 5 dot balls and then get hit for a boundary the captain think you bowl badly ( but actualy your putting on pressure ) but the captain is quite happy when the fasties/offies goes for 6 singles in their over ( clearly no pressure are build up ) ! Nd then again most captains don't understand leg spinners nevermind how to use/handle them .

Back