trouble batting

Re: trouble batting

MasterBlaster said:
You should try to keep your mind clear. Thinking too much before going out to bat is not good.

Masterblaster makes a good point. The most common downfall I find is thinking too much. Most of it is a mind thing, so try to be positive and clear your head. A good exercise is to talk to yourself before every ball, something like "eye on the ball", it will distract you from being nervous.

keeping your eye on the ball is the key point to being a successful batsmen.... if u try and pick up the ball only when its pitched u will be in a world of trouble... watch the ball out of the bowlers hand..... right onto your bat...

*a little bit of topic*
a good way i have found to help get your eye in, is when u come out if u r at the non- strikers end.... after the ball has been bowled.. watch the ball as they throw it around the field... also watch the ball down the pitch when it is being bowled... has helped me :D

Keeping your eye on the ball is important but saying 'keep your eye on the ball' sometimes makes you think about saying that instead of actually keeping your eye on the ball!! Maybe it's just me :p

Could be just you, but it simply reminds me to keep my eye on the ball and distracts me from feeling nervous. I generally stop doing it once i'm comfortable and the nerves have subsided. Worth a try, may work for some people than can multi-task lol

I reckon it's just a personal thing, Damien Martyn says it before it ball, I think, whereas another aussie cricketer (can't remember who it was) doesn't like it because he feels it distracts him.

but thinking about keeping your eye on the ball does work but is there anything that can help move your feet and keep my eyes on the ball?

Hi EP,
Some more tips for you;
Batting:
• Always play straight with the full face of the bat.

• Look to place the ball in the gaps.

• Always keep your head down - this will help you keep the ball on the ground.

• You must be relaxed when batting.

• Play the simple game - do the basics correctly (correct grip, stance, back lift).

• Your top hand on the bat must always be in control.

• Before you play an attacking shot, make sure you know what the bowler is doing with the ball, e.g. swing, seam or pace.

• "Wait", "yes" and "no" are the only three calls when batting.

• Always run the first run hard. This puts pressure on the fielder.

• The bowler will bowl at least one bad ball per over, so be patient.

But the most important is to practice as much as possible.
Try to implement knocking practice more if possible.
If possible post a video of your batting.

Well the last one I don't agree on, but if you are patient you will get a bad ball, but it might not be every over if you are up against a quality attack.

That is the case but some shots like Cover drive or On drive towards midwicket are safe with top hand in more control.That does not mean that bottom hand is out of the handle.It is much part of that shot but the more dominant control is from the top hand.When u see international players playing a cover drive.Observe their hand movements.
Secondly;while playing a square cut it is been advised that after playing roll Ur wrists down to avoid the ball flying in air.
So basically Ur both hands control are important but preferably the top hand should be more dominant to avoid the ball flying in the air.
While applying a defensive shot u r bottom hand is to be loose than top hand again to make the ball drop dead in front.
In the end it depends and varies from one player to another on his style of playing and comfort zone.
I have personally experienced these things in the nets and matches as well and mostly favor the ground shots.

I reckon it depends on the person. I am a bottom hand-dominant batsman, and I have no trouble keeping my shots on the ground, and it's very easy to go over the top of the bowler when needed. I think your last point is right, it just depends on the person.

i use both of my hands equally but when needed to i can attack any bowler but i want to know if bottom hand is better than top hand or vise versa, and I've been thinking is the back lift better to be low or high or is it different with everybody.

Back