Turning down singles

edladd

Turning down singles

I just want to gauge how people feel about the following - it's been causing a bit of a stir on my club's site.

At the weekend, our 2nds (about 7 divisions from highest) needed 3 to win with 4 wickets in hand and ~6 overs left. The batsman on strike would be one of the better ones at the club. He hit a ball past the field and they ran 2, but even though there was an easy third on, he turned it down. The next ball got past the keeper, and would have been an easy bye, but again - he refused. Finally, next ball he hit for 4.

What do ye think of this? Do people think he was wrong to turn down the winning run twice - potentially giving the other side a chance to take a wicket and therefore reduce the number of league points? Or do you think he was right to try and finish with a bang when there was no hope of losing the game and league points shouldn't be such a big issue for a division that is this far down?

Re: Turning down singles

Yeah, to be honest, to me that looks like a batsman that is more interested in his own figures and image than he is the team's result. Certainly if I'd have been captain I'd have had a quiet word with him after the game and asking him exactly what he was playing at. Supposing he mis-times his big shot for 4, gets caught out and the next batsman gets a ropey first-ball duck?
Suddenly, whilst you're only one run from winning, you're two balls away from losing, and you only have tailenders at the crease, who if they're anything like ours, just about know which way up to hold the bat... certainly not worth the risk for three meaningless runs.

i dont see a problem with that. you had 6 overs to get 3 runs with 4 wickets in hand, and you won?

I suppose it depends who was at the other end, he might have been protecting the other batsman as he thought he was more likely to get out. Plus, it's hardly a tight game is it? I spose you could say it was selfish but it could also be seen as careful and taking the responsibility for getting the team over the line. I guess it depends on context.

Jelly Beanz said:
I suppose it depends who was at the other end, he might have been protecting the other batsman as he thought he was more likely to get out. Plus, it's hardly a tight game is it? I spose you could say it was selfish but it could also be seen as careful and taking the responsibility for getting the team over the line. I guess it depends on context.

Can't really call it careful - he had 2 very easy opportunities to take the winning run (it was tied after the 2), but turned them down because he wanted to finish with a 4.
Personally, I don't have any major issues with it myself, he was just having fun - though it was probably not the best time to try and showboat. I suppose it's also a bit disrespectful to the opposition.

I agree with nightvision, in that a quiet word after the game between the captain and him should have been sufficient. Unfortunately the captain made a bit of an issue of it in his match report, which started a bit of an argument on the forum. The thread has actually since been locked :eek: as it was getting a bit personal. Just wanted to see what you all thought about the scenario - cheers for the replies.

I'd personally take the run. It's the winning run, so you're not protecting the other batsmen. Although highly unlikely, he allowed the possibility to lose 4 wickets and tie the game.

IF! i trusted my partner at the other end i would have taken it... but many of times last season when batting with the lower-middle order or tail enders i turned down easy singles... it all depends on your partner.. if he can hold his own i would have taken it.

Yeah, but the partner wouldn't have had to have faced anything - they only needed that single to win the game.

That's a disgrace imo, I could have maybe understood it if he needed a 4 for a hundred or something, but there is no need for that whatsoever.

Yeh, true there is no need, like wtf was he thinking. But if the league is a joke of a league, I guess it would be OK but I guess at any club level, why wouldn't you just win it there and then?

we were playing our intraclub friendly on saturday. I was batting at no: 4 we were chasing 154 and were on 50 odd. i turned down a single from the non strikers end as it was my call. The other batsmen asked if i was kidding. i said no there was no point risking my wicket for a potentially suicidal single. I then got heckled from the boundary saying there was a single there! i merely pointed out that he was welcome to come and take my place or he could shut up!

strangely the next ball the other batsmen was bowled.

but i didnt see the point of risking my wicket on my call.

You were right, by the sounds of things. I'm not a great judge of a run, but if I'm not confident that I'll make it, then you won't budge me.

The only time this would be different was if we were chasing a total near the end of an innings and a better batsman was halfway down for a single that was never on, and it was either him or me to be run out. Whilst I'd give him hell in the dressing room afterwards, at the time, he's more useful to the team than I am.

At the stage of the game you were at, there was no need to go for a single you weren't sure you'd make. If he wants to take risks, let him do it with his own wicket. And besides, as you said, it's your call.

Stumped said:
but i didnt see the point of risking my wicket on my call.

Sounds like you were right to me - when it's your call you have to trust your judgement, especially when you're still that far from the target and there was still plenty of time in the game. I wouldn't pay much mind to people heckling from the sideline, they probably would have done the very same thing if they'd been in your shoes.
Jonesy, I wouldn't say it is a joke of a league - it's far from being the biggest one in the province, but it's a reasonable standard, and everyone in the club is playing at their appropriate level obviously. I suppose the thing is that the team had to work hard to get into the position of only needing that 1 run to win, and he started messing around instead of finishing the game when the opportunity presented itself. (Turning down the bye was bad form IMO, since it was the non-strikers call, and he was three quarter way down the track before he realised this guy wasn't going to run. He made it back OK, but it could have been a run-out)

Sorry, I didn't realise it would've been the winning run. If that's the winning run he should've taken it. Absolute disgrace. The skipper blowing the whole issue up wasn't the best way to deal with it though.

no possibly not the best way to handle it as a captain, especially on a public forum! (i always make a habit of reading the oppos website / forum before we play them)

but couple of points:

1. You Won!
2. Its the just cricket
3. if he had messed up he would'nt do it again!

Back