Two Twenty20 games in stead of one 50 over match? Is this the future?

mas cambios

Two Twenty20 games in stead of one 50 over match? Is this the future?

I spoke to Graeme Swann the other night, and he said he thinks the future will be playing two, back-to-back, Twenty20 games in a day rather than one 50-over ODI

The above was from Aggers on the radio. I find it quite interesting that a current player has that view of the game, although I'm not sure whether he means that the Twenty20 will replace the 50 over game or that a Twenty20 series will be played out in one day rather then 2 or more?

I can certainly see the market for it, but am not sure if that is the way things will go. Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

Re: Two Twenty20 games in stead of one 50 over match? Is this the future?

I can't really see 2 games in a day taking off. Surely this would lose a lot of revenue.

Plus the whole idea of 20/20 is the game lasts 3 hours which is comparable to other sports like rugby and football which fits in with peoples social lives. Why would they make the day longer?

i hope its not the future 20/20s are good occasionaly but not instead of odi's thats silly

I agree with wrongun. Two twenty20 games a day wont take off. People go to watch it because of its short length. Two back to back T20 games would mean 6 hours of cricket which is just 2 hours less than a ODI game.

they do it on finals day in twenty20 cup and its very good....but its not good for happening regularly..

wrongun said:
I can't really see 2 games in a day taking off. Surely this would lose a lot of revenue.

Plus the whole idea of 20/20 is the game lasts 3 hours which is comparable to other sports like rugby and football which fits in with peoples social lives. Why would they make the day longer?

Totally agree, the whole base of twenty20 is that it's action packed and you'll be in and out in three hours.

I'm not 100% against the idea, I'm not 100% for the idea. There has been more talk about it happening but I don't think we'll see it for a good few years yet.

T20 should remain a circus, outside the World competitions which should continue to occur every two years. I think that one T20 is adequate for a team on a series as a pre-series warm up and that the ICC should never even run a risk of T20 overkill.

I believe that the domestic arena should remain a premier T20 show with the international single matches as exibitions. National boards should also stage their T20s (perhaps with the exclusion of India) during the home International season so that stars like Pietersen or Ponting would be able to entertain the crowds for their domestic team.

On to the topic at hand, I think that back to back T20s is unnecessary and ruins the whole purpose of a quick game for the crowds to come in and go out. Fielders will not show the exuberance, bowlers will not show the pace and the pitch will likely die in the second game. One ODI > Two back to back T20Is.

Back